Ask the CBSA!

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
2timer
Rookie Member

Re: Ask the CBSA!

Postby 2timer » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Hello everybody. I just got word from CBSA that I did not pass the interview this time. I am disapointed. I have previously passed the BSOT test, Interview, Background check, Rigaud, and Officers Powers. I had great references from present CBSA management from my years as a officer in Ontario and BC. I hope the rest of you still move forward in th eprocess and just remeber, this is your house.

Drache
Rookie Member

Postby Drache » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:44 pm

2timer wrote:Hello everybody. I just got word from CBSA that I did not pass the interview this time. I am disapointed. I have previously passed the BSOT test, Interview, Background check, Rigaud, and Officers Powers. I had great references from present CBSA management from my years as a officer in Ontario and BC. I hope the rest of you still move forward in th eprocess and just remeber, this is your house.

Wow that puts a dampener on us awaiting for our interviews....

Jungle
Rookie Member

Postby Jungle » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:09 am

Your post is confusing, if you passed all stages before and were an Officer, why are you taking the interview again? Did you quit as a Custom's Officer and re-apply?
GTA CBSA
04/08 Applied
08/08 BSOT-Passed
09/08 Interview-Passed
05/09 Psych Test-Passed
03/12 POOL EXPIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jungle
Rookie Member

Postby Jungle » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:15 am

2timer wrote:Hello everybody. I just got word from CBSA that I did not pass the interview this time. I am disapointed. I have previously passed the BSOT test, Interview, Background check, Rigaud, and Officers Powers. I had great references from present CBSA management from my years as a officer in Ontario and BC. I hope the rest of you still move forward in th eprocess and just remeber, this is your house.

Ok I just searched your previous post and found this:

I was hired by the CCRA/CBSA and worked for a year at an airport before going to Rigaud and passing! ... Anyways after working in several areas of Customs, I had to leave for personal(read family matters) and resigned at the end of my third year. As it turns out I have gotten past the issues and ha...

Sorry to hear you failed the interview. They could have been much harder on you, knowing you are well experienced. Also, due to the hiring freeze, they may not pass everyone that comes in for an interview, as hundreds are waiting for seats in Regaud that were taken away..
GTA CBSA
04/08 Applied
08/08 BSOT-Passed
09/08 Interview-Passed
05/09 Psych Test-Passed
03/12 POOL EXPIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

marspball

Postby marspball » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:47 pm

how long were you away? you could have taken the 1 year leave without pay....

fluxstone
Rookie Member

Postby fluxstone » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:06 am

It is possible, CBSA has moved away from enforcement agency to a more duties collector/customer service type role. So if you asnwer the interview questions too enforcement oriented, they may have failed you based on that. I could be completely wrong however.

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:30 am

fluxstone wrote:

It is possible, CBSA has moved away from enforcement agency to a more duties collector/customer service type role. So if you asnwer the interview questions too enforcement oriented, they may have failed you based on that. I could be completely wrong however.

???? "It is possible, CBSA has moved away from enforcement agency to a more duties collector/customer service type role"
? :ponder:
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

2timer
Rookie Member

Postby 2timer » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:32 am

marspball wrote:how long were you away? you could have taken the 1 year leave without pay....

I was out for three years, although I was one of the first group to be trained in Officer Powers and Use of Force training.

I am happy to have had the opportunity to re-apply but I must say that one of the interviewers was very aggressive. So much so that I suspect there are not any jobs available at this point, but that the CBSA has again put the cart before the horse. I wish everybody the best of luck in the process but remember that it has taken over 28 months for some to get an offer of employment. I also feel that some of the moderators/experienced officers that comment on this page are an indication of some of the types of know it alls you may meet on your chosen career path. Keep looking everywhere and remember the police pay alot more for the same type of job.

I think the real reason that I was not hired was that I stood up for Officers by doing a work refusal at Pearson during the SARS epidemic. I asked for gloves and a mask and was told by lower management it would not be allowed as they were concerned about the image we would foster.(?) Funny now with swine flu, every Federal government office has sani wash and other germ killing products available to all! Watch your back. Be smart and be careful of who you trust. read more about the sars and cbsa http://www.ohstc.gc.ca/content/pdf_archive/english/03_019.pdf

Pacific_BSO

Postby Pacific_BSO » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:45 pm

fluxstone wrote:

Completely wrong, sounds like you had a bad experience at the border. The officer may have popped your trunk and you didn't like that. It's ok to have sour grapes. It's not ok though to be ignorant.
**CBSA Officer**

KerO96
Rookie Member

Postby KerO96 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:50 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18914

there you go everyone, a general chit chat thread for the CBSA....now if we all move there Ask the CBSA! wont see much action , seeing as how we are all waiting in the POERT pool...
Applied: March/08
BSOT Written: June/08
BSOT Passed: June/08
Interview: July/08
Interview Results: Successful
CPR/First aid: Obtained
PAL: Jan/09
Security Clearance: Application Pending
Psychological Evaluation: Pending
POERT: TBD

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:56 pm

2timer wrote:[ I am happy to have had the opportunity to re-apply but I must say that one of the interviewers was very aggressive. So much so that I suspect there are not any jobs available at this point, but that the CBSA has again put the cart before the horse.

Perhaps the interviewer wasn't aggressive at all, but rather analyzing your reactions in a stressful environment. The interviews are set-up to test your mettle, not encourage you along with a song as Friend Record plays the wooden spoons. Maybe you failed the structured stress test. And then again, maybe not. You didn't get SARS did you? :twisted:

"One more thing..."

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:30 pm

2timer wrote:
marspball wrote:how long were you away? you could have taken the 1 year leave without pay....

I was out for three years, although I was one of the first group to be trained in Officer Powers and Use of Force training.

I am happy to have had the opportunity to re-apply but I must say that one of the interviewers was very aggressive. So much so that I suspect there are not any jobs available at this point, but that the CBSA has again put the cart before the horse. I wish everybody the best of luck in the process but remember that it has taken over 28 months for some to get an offer of employment. I also feel that some of the moderators/experienced officers that comment on this page are an indication of some of the types of know it alls you may meet on your chosen career path. Keep looking everywhere and remember the police pay alot more for the same type of job.

I think the real reason that I was not hired was that I stood up for Officers by doing a work refusal at Pearson during the SARS epidemic. I asked for gloves and a mask and was told by lower management it would not be allowed as they were concerned about the image we would foster.(?) Funny now with swine flu, every Federal government office has sani wash and other germ killing products available to all! Watch your back. Be smart and be careful of who you trust. read more about the sars and cbsa http://www.ohstc.gc.ca/content/pdf_archive/english/03_019.pdf

Oh I get it, You were right and CBSA is wrong.
Way to look like a jack ass.
Why did you even re apply if you have such a hate-on?
So you didnt make it...Man up
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:25 pm

John014 wrote:Oh I get it, You were right and CBSA is wrong.
Way to look like a jack ass.
Why did you even re apply if you have such a hate-on?
So you didnt make it...Man up

I dunno where he interviewed, but it's entirely possible the selection board was made up of people who whined and complained for a job off the "line" and may not have been the best choice for a selection board, they merely didn't want to work shift work for a while.

I know people who worked on selection boards and had absolute tools to work with. I've been through internal boards run by absolute tools, including a superintendent board that was so buggered up by questions that were so blatantly inappropriate that (after appeals) they had to let everyone who failed the selection have a second interview with new board members.

So, it's enitely possible that inadequate, less-than-qualified people could be on an outside hiring board (which in our region, is the type of selection board people who have never been on one before will be placed on first), and they could bring their piss poor work attitudes with them.

We've all seen those people at our ports... the ones who are condescending and sarcastic merely to make the point that they are right and the member of the public is wrong, and how dare they challenge their authority by dreaming of not declaring that extra bottle, yadda yadda...
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."