OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
sima0304
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby sima0304 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:55 am

To quote from the educational requirement:

(f)  meets one of the following conditions:

(i)  he or she has,

(A)  a university degree, or

(B)  a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,

(ii)  he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,

(iii)  he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),

Question:
With the new educational requirements coming into effect Jan 2021, I was wondering if an apprenticeship in a trade would count as post secondary?

For example: My trade is 720 hour 1 year certificate program, and then 6000 hours of on the job training and after that is when my apprenticeship is completed and I can write my Certificate of Qualification and be licensed in the trade.

I wonder if subclause (iii) would apply for me, because my entire program has a lot more hours than 4 academic semesters. It took me a little of 3 years of full-time work to complete 6000 hours.

Please share some insight, it is greatly appreciated!

PTrotts
Rookie Member

Postby PTrotts » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:14 am

sima0304 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:55 am

(i)  he or she has,

(B)  a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,

(ii)  he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,

(iii)  he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),

Question:
With the new educational requirements coming into effect Jan 2021, I was wondering if an apprenticeship in a trade would count as post secondary?

For example: My trade is 720 hour 1 year certificate program, and then 6000 hours of on the job training and after that is when my apprenticeship is completed and I can write my Certificate of Qualification and be licensed in the trade.

I wonder if subclause (iii) would apply for me, because my entire program has a lot more hours than 4 academic semesters. It took me a little of 3 years of full-time work to complete 6000 hours.

Contact O.P.P. Recruitment and ask them directly.

O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results
May 3: BGI commenced
May 12: Psych test
May 14: Home interview
June 22: Psych interview
July 8: SIGMA

sima0304
Rookie Member

Postby sima0304 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:24 pm

PTrotts wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:14 am
sima0304 wrote:

(i)  he or she has,

Question:

Contact O.P.P. Recruitment and ask them directly.

I've done that with multiple agencies, but the only response I seem to be getting is them saying that those rules only come into effect in Jan 2021, and not a requirement right now. It's like they're not sure themselves, and they don't want to say anything.

Majha85
Rookie Member

Postby Majha85 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 am

Question for the folks in the current process. Is PASS still happening during covid or not?

PTrotts
Rookie Member

Postby PTrotts » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:30 pm

Majha85 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 am
Question for the folks in the current process. Is PASS still happening during covid or not?
I was advised back in March that it is currently postponed.

Tango5oh6
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5oh6 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:30 pm

sima0304 wrote:

(i)  he or she has,

Question:

From my reading of the Act, you are missing a part IV, which sets out secondary school diploma, and additional criteria, this seems to be what the OPP ask for already IE: High School and Military Experience.

(f) meets one of the following conditions:

(i) he or she has,

(A) a university degree, or

(B) a degree from a college of applied arts and technology authorized to grant the degree,

(ii) he or she has a diploma or advanced diploma granted by a college of applied arts and technology following successful completion of a program that is the equivalent in class hours of a full-time program of at least four academic semesters,

(iii) he or she has been granted a certificate or other document by a post-secondary institution evidencing successful completion of a program that the regulations prescribe as being equivalent to a degree or diploma described in subclause (i) or (ii),

(iv) if additional criteria have been prescribed, he or she has a secondary school diploma and meets the additional criteria.

BlueScott
Rookie Member

Postby BlueScott » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:37 pm

I’m new to the forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. I am taking the PBQ/LFI with the OPP on Friday. Best of luck to everyone on here!

ontca
Rookie Member

Postby ontca » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:48 pm

BlueScott wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:37 pm
I’m new to the forum. Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories. I am taking the PBQ/LFI with the OPP on Friday. Best of luck to everyone on here!
All the best for your LFI.

whatamiseeing
Rookie Member

Postby whatamiseeing » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:47 am

Majha85 wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:53 am
Postponed for now but will happen

Cornald
Rookie Member

Postby Cornald » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:22 am

Hi all, how long did it take to receive your deferral letter ? I took the sigma test on the 8th last week and I have not received any update via email so I am assuming I failed it.

PTrotts
Rookie Member

Postby PTrotts » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 am

Cornald wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:22 am
Hi all, how long did it take to receive your deferral letter ? I took the sigma test on the 8th last week and I have not received any update via email so I am assuming I failed it.
I also wrote the SIGMA on the 8th and haven't received an update. Until you get a deferral letter I'd say you're still in the process. If you look on the OPP website it states, we will notify you directly if you are unsuccessful at any stage. No news is good news I guess.

Mikk
Rookie Member

Postby Mikk » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi Folks,
I have 2 questions here.
1. I got my psych test date but they haven’t done my background yet. Anybody in my same shoes?
2. Just wondering how they are doing home interviews in this COVID season.
OPP Timeline

Applied on: March 31,2020
File no: April 8, 2020
LFI invitation: April 20, 2020
Virtual interview : June 2, 2020
Interview results:- June 5, 2020
Psych test :- July 23, 2020

PTrotts
Rookie Member

Postby PTrotts » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Mikk wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:34 pm
Hi Folks,
I have 2 questions here.
1. I got my psych test date but they haven’t done my background yet. Anybody in my same shoes?
2. Just wondering how they are doing home interviews in this COVID season.
Your BGI will get in touch with you eventually, everyone's timeline is slightly different. My home interview was completed via video call, lasted little over an hour.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

masejj
Rookie Member

Postby masejj » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

PTrotts wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:42 am
Cornald wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:22 am
I also wrote the SIGMA on the 8th and haven't received an update. Until you get a deferral letter I'd say you're still in the process. If you look on the OPP website it states, we will notify you directly if you are unsuccessful at any stage. No news is good news I guess.
I also wrote the SIGMA on the 8th. No news yet. It was mentioned that offers often come close to the two weeks before the start of the next class. There are many variables in play, like your preferred detachments and the openings available. They would have known the results of the test by Friday, and sorted out the information this week. If it were to be mailed out, could be next week before we received a deferral letter.
If we stay in the pool of candidates it still goes to a committee I believe, to do the final review of the application with all relevant information (BGI, Psych) before an offer of employment is offered.
OPP application
March 3 application sent
March 26 file created
April 14 LFI invite
April 30 LFI
May 8 BGI commenced
June 3 Psych test
June 3 Home interview
June 17 BGI completed
June 24 Psych test
July 8 Sigma
July 28 Psych interview
July 29 Shuttle run

IBreaker11
Rookie Member

Postby IBreaker11 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:50 am

Anyone hear back from their SIGMA results? I wrote mine along with the Pysch tests July 14th and haven't heard anything but just received an email this morning to videotape my 20 M shuttle run so I would think that would indicate I'm still in the hiring pool?