OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

opp2

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby opp2 » Mon May 27, 2019 8:43 pm

at offer
Investigate and educate before jumping off the Cliff of Assumption.

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Postby Code Tree » Mon May 27, 2019 9:05 pm

timg87 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 9:09 am
I'm hearing mixed answers. Can someone tell me, do you get your detachment at offer or during training ?

Thanks all and be safe out there.
I was informed of my posting at offer.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

timg87

Postby timg87 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:52 am

Perfect, thank you.
Previous: Correctional Officer 2
Current: Transit Special Constable

Always willing to help and answer general questions..private msgs with specific questions are welcomed.

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 am

Hi everyone

Can anyone advise on the time line from receiving the email about LFI to actually receiving the call to schedule the date for LFI. It is probably not the same for everyone and it depends probably on location etc.

Any information would be appreciated :)

Belanger797
Rookie Member

Postby Belanger797 » Tue May 28, 2019 9:12 am

stribor45 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 am
Hi everyone

Can anyone advise on the time line from receiving the email about LFI to actually receiving the call to schedule the date for LFI. It is probably not the same for everyone and it depends probably on location etc.

For me it was the same day I received the email.

Cheers !

JS95
Rookie Member

Postby JS95 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Hi everyone

For me it was almost a month between the email and being called to schedule a date. So don’t sweat it if it’s been a few weeks.
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation
May 7 - LFI

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:06 pm

JS95 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 5:18 pm
stribor45 wrote:
Hi everyone

For me it was almost a month between the email and being called to schedule a date. So don’t sweat it if it’s been a few weeks.
Thanks JS95 and Belanger.

taco1980
Rookie Member

Postby taco1980 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am

Hi everyone.
Long time lurker of the forum, first time poster/member.
I attended a info sessions in 2017 and since have tried to gain as much experience in work, taking a larger role in my dept and expanding upon my volunteer time in my community.

I applied Feb 26, received a File number Mar 26.... And got the dreaded "unsuccessful letter" May 29. I can try again one year from the date of the letter, so I suppose it's back to the drawing board.

I believe it was based on my running/pin which at the time of applying was around 80 but bounced up or down a point or two week to week. Additionally I didn't have long distance running regularly (10k).

I am older at 38, and I have worked for a First Nation (am FN myself) in Northern Ont for the past 8 years in Natural Resources, Forestry compliance, and now managing the Natural Resources and Consultation Programs. I have great references from my employer and 2 Constable referrals. I help run the local softball league and volunteer at the local Curling club events and with the FN delivering cultural programming to non-FN organisations. Im also on the board of Directors for a park.

My schooling is average, but I received a BA in 2007, and as mentioned my fitness is also average.

From what I understand, it is not allowed to ask for feedback as to why you were not selected or identify areas you need improvement? Or am I just right to assume that I just need to get better in the fitness section?

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Postby Code Tree » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:33 pm

taco1980 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:09 am
Hi everyone.
Long time lurker of the forum, first time poster/member.
I attended a info sessions in 2017 and since have tried to gain as much experience in work, taking a larger role in my dept and expanding upon my volunteer time in my community.

I applied Feb 26, received a File number Mar 26.... And got the dreaded "unsuccessful letter" May 29. I can try again one year from the date of the letter, so I suppose it's back to the drawing board.

I believe it was based on my running/pin which at the time of applying was around 80 but bounced up or down a point or two week to week. Additionally I didn't have long distance running regularly (10k).

I am older at 38, and I have worked for a First Nation (am FN myself) in Northern Ont for the past 8 years in Natural Resources, Forestry compliance, and now managing the Natural Resources and Consultation Programs. I have great references from my employer and 2 Constable referrals. I help run the local softball league and volunteer at the local Curling club events and with the FN delivering cultural programming to non-FN organisations. Im also on the board of Directors for a park.

My schooling is average, but I received a BA in 2007, and as mentioned my fitness is also average.

From what I understand, it is not allowed to ask for feedback as to why you were not selected or identify areas you need improvement? Or am I just right to assume that I just need to get better in the fitness section?
Fitness expectation-wise, running is huge - I was told to stop lifting weights and run more. I was running a 10k weekly when I was in the process, and by the end I was doing some sort of running/interval/sport six days a week.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

PrairiesCO
Rookie Member

Postby PrairiesCO » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:58 am

Hi all,

From my understanding, OPP removed the COR that was required to apply to OPP. I have read of people mentioning a second written test "SIGMA" as part of the process, although I can't seem to find it on the OPP website.

Is the Sigma still part of the OPP process?

yeboah96
Rookie Member

Postby yeboah96 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:43 am

PrairiesCO wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:58 am
Hi all,

From my understanding, OPP removed the COR that was required to apply to OPP. I have read of people mentioning a second written test "SIGMA" as part of the process, although I can't seem to find it on the OPP website.

Is the Sigma still part of the OPP process?
Yes, the SIGMA is still apart of the OPP's hiring process. The test is usually conducted on the same day as your psychological assessment. With that said, you can find some good practice tests on the policeprep website. Good luck!
O.P.P

Applied: Jan 21, 2019
File Number Assigned: Jan 23, 2019
LFI Email: Feb 1, 2019
PBQ/LFI: Feb 20, 2019
LFI Results: Feb 26, 2019
BGI/Medical Started: Mar 5, 2019
Home Interview: Mar 13, 2019
Psych/Sigma: Mar 26, 2019

Cman
Rookie Member

Postby Cman » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 am

Hey , just a quick question to anyone that may be able to answer ..... submitted app back in mid April 2019 , revived my file number but nothing since. Have submitted a number of updates in the last 7 weeks and get the reply that the file is updated.

Just curious if anyone else applied around the same time and what their timeline had looked like thus far ?

Thx

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:27 pm

Cman wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:19 am
Hey , just a quick question to anyone that may be able to answer ..... submitted app back in mid April 2019 , revived my file number but nothing since. Have submitted a number of updates in the last 7 weeks and get the reply that the file is updated.

Just curious if anyone else applied around the same time and what their timeline had looked like thus far ?

Thx
You can see my timeline below if that is of help. If someone has similar timeline as me please let me know :)

Nicholas1989

Postby Nicholas1989 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:13 pm

I got 2 fitness log papers. It says pin fitness %? How does one calculate that and can I just jog and skip and run for these logs? I need to work on my fitness but my cardio isn't so good
Applied July 2018
OTEE Sept. 2018
OTEE October 31st PASS! 85%
Candidate Info Package: november 6th 2018
Will Reapply again :mrgreen: GL to all applicants
never give up :thumbsup: -My Dad

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:27 pm

The fitness logs have instructions on them with a link to follow for how to test each component. If you identify fitness as an area that needs to be improved, hold off on applying until you’re confident. You can still keep logs to track and demonstrate progress.