OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Cman
Rookie Member

Re: Sigma OPP

Postby Cman » Thu May 02, 2019 6:03 pm

Belanger797 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:19 pm
Cman wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to vest prepare for the SIGMA? What it intails and types of questions to prepare for ? Thanks in advance
Policeprep.com is what I used. They have many different tests you can use to study from. Just remember you only have 35 minutes to answer 74 questions. Only answer the ones you know then go back to the other if you have time.

Cheers
Thx for the advice. I’ll do that

yeboah96
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby yeboah96 » Fri May 03, 2019 4:21 pm

ani89 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 1:28 am
Hi guys.

I'm new here. And wanted to ask a few question. For people outside province is it hard to make it?
In the applications 4package I didn't see hearing and vision form with application to be submited or does it come later ?

Hey, regarding your question I don't believe applications from out of province are "hard" so long as your applying at your competitive best. As with any application to a police service, the entire process is highly competitive so in retrospect yes it's hard, but again applying at your competitive best should help your chances. I suppose the only question I'd foresee you getting would be "why the OPP", but anyone would be asked that. Regarding the hearing and vision package, you are required to fill those forms out during the background portion of the application process. There is no need to worry about those forms during the initial stages.

Good luck.
O.P.P

Applied: Jan 21, 2019
File Number Assigned: Jan 23, 2019
LFI Email: Feb 1, 2019
PBQ/LFI: Feb 20, 2019
LFI Results: Feb 26, 2019
BGI/Medical Started: Mar 5, 2019
Home Interview: Mar 13, 2019
Psych/Sigma: Mar 26, 2019

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Can someone comment on following if possible.
  • LFI forms asks for contact information for 9 references. Can these 9 references include 3 originally submitted with the application and do I need reference letters too or just contact information
Thank you

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 6:16 pm
  • LFI forms asks for contact information for 9 references. Can these 9 references include 3 originally submitted with the application and do I need reference letters too or just contact information
Thank you
Yes
OPP
Applied: Jan 19'
LFI: March 19'
BGI/Medical: April 19'
Home interview: April 19'
Psych/Sigma: April 19'

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:23 pm
stribor45 wrote:
Thank you
Yes
Thank you Cosmo.
Just to confirm. Is contact info sufficient for the remaining 6 rereferences and therefore no actual letter?

Thank you for quick response

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Sun May 05, 2019 8:24 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Cosmo wrote:
stribor45 wrote:
Thank you
Yes
Thank you Cosmo.
Just to confirm. Is contact info sufficient for the remaining 6 rereferences and therefore no actual letter?

Correct, just fill in the blanks. Good luck!
OPP

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:02 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 8:24 pm
stribor45 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 pm
Cosmo wrote:

Yes
Thank you Cosmo.

Correct, just fill in the blanks. Good luck!
Thank you

snap_a_do
Rookie Member

Postby snap_a_do » Mon May 06, 2019 12:14 pm

That's good to know about the reference letters! I submitted 3 with my application and I actually got 6 more who were in the process of writing it (just so if the OPP came knocking for them, it would be ready). I just told them to hold off for now if all they need is the contact info.

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Mon May 06, 2019 12:44 pm

Would hinder my chances with OPP if I were to apply to a different service? I would just like to know some of your opinions on this. I completed the process with OPP just waiting for an offer or deferall letter, I was wondering if applying to a different service being this far in the process would lessen my chances of getting an offer.
OPP

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 12:44 pm
Would hinder my chances with OPP if I were to apply to a different service? I would just like to know some of your opinions on this. I completed the process with OPP just waiting for an offer or deferall letter, I was wondering if applying to a different service being this far in the process would lessen my chances of getting an offer.
So you clearly don't want to work with the OPP then i guess.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Mon May 06, 2019 4:37 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:24 pm
Cosmo wrote:
My dream career is policing, and I want to achieve that goal in whatever way I possibly can. If that means applying to more than one service to boost my chances than of course I am going to do that. I asked if it would hinder my chances with opp, because obviously I wouldn't want it to.
OPP

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 4:37 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
My dream career is policing, and I want to achieve that goal in whatever way I possibly can. If that means applying to more than one service to boost my chances than of course I am going to do that. I asked if it would hinder my chances with opp, because obviously I wouldn't want it to.
IMO, you're sticking your hand too far into the cookie jar and getting greedy. You are waiting for an offer from a service that has invested a lot of time and money into you. Now you are asking about looking elsewhere? This reminds me of a story about someone in the same shoes as you that ended up getting no offers and his OPP offer retracted. Be careful what you wish for.

I heavily recommend against it.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Mon May 06, 2019 6:54 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Cosmo wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:

IMO, you're sticking your hand too far into the cookie jar and getting greedy. You are waiting for an offer from a service that has invested a lot of time and money into you. Now you are asking about looking elsewhere? This reminds me of a story about someone in the same shoes as you that ended up getting no offers and his OPP offer retracted. Be careful what you wish for.

Thank you for the reply, that's all I wanted to know. I appreciate your help and I will definitely not be applying to any other services now!
OPP

runningguy
Rookie Member

Postby runningguy » Wed May 08, 2019 8:38 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 6:54 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 5:21 pm
Cosmo wrote:

Thank you for the reply, that's all I wanted to know. I appreciate your help and I will definitely not be applying to any other services now!
I remember reading them saying it’s not a problem as long as you inform them if you are to accept an offer from another service.

Good luck!

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am

I don’t think other applications hinder yourself for OPP. I applied in Oct 2017 and completed the process by January 2018. I applied to CKPS in December 2017 because their application only opened once a year at that time.

I then got to background phase of CKPS when my offer from OPP came in.

I would say don’t take on more than you can handle, but application shouldn’t hurt you. Don’t go applying to 10 services at once, but having 2 or 3 on the go makes sense to me. As long as you can sufficiently prepare for them.

This of course is only my opinion, and as I always like to disclaim: I am not a recruiter.

Good luck