OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

JS95
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby JS95 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:28 pm

Recruitment posted on social media today that the most recent class consists of 58 recruits. This number is noticeably less than the class sizes of 100 that the OPP have been pushing for. Does anybody have any insight as to why the April class is relatively small?
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation
May 7 - LFI

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 pm

JS95 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:28 pm
Recruitment posted on social media today that the most recent class consists of 58 recruits. This number is noticeably less than the class sizes of 100 that the OPP have been pushing for. Does anybody have any insight as to why the April class is relatively small?
I was actually wondering the same thing. Anyone able to give some insight ?
OPP
Applied: Jan 19'
LFI: March 19'
BGI/Medical: April 19'
Home interview: April 19'
Psych/Sigma: April 19'

alexgue89

Postby alexgue89 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:36 pm
JS95 wrote:
I can’t give insight but I will venture to say that although they receive many applications the majority of the applicants aren't what they are looking for or didn't make it past different stages of the process. They have stated that although they need bodies they won’t lower their hiring standards. But thats just my uneducated guess since I don't work for the OPP.

JS95
Rookie Member

Postby JS95 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm

alexgue89 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 pm
Cosmo wrote:
JS95 wrote:
I can’t give insight but I will venture to say that although they receive many applications the majority of the applicants aren't what they are looking for or didn't make it past different stages of the process. They have stated that although they need bodies they won’t lower their hiring standards. But thats just my uneducated guess since I don't work for the OPP.
This was my best guess as well. Even with the countless applications they received, they may have only been able to find 58 applicants who they deemed highly competitive in all or most areas of assessment. Recruitment has made it clear that the dropping of the COR does NOT indicate a lowering of any standards. Although they may receive thousands of applications each year, I imagine a lot of those applications may very well be people wasting their own time applying when they clearly lack in many areas. The idea of dropping the COR will lead to more of those applicant types, but at the same time should yield a higher number of competitive candidates who they can select to fill a class of 100. Again, that’s how I see it but I’d be interested if any knows something other than my uneducated guess lol.
Last edited by JS95 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation
May 7 - LFI

JS95
Rookie Member

Postby JS95 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm

I also wonder if anyone who applied in January made that class
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation
May 7 - LFI

allinthegame
Rookie Member

Postby allinthegame » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:41 pm

JS95 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:39 pm
I also wonder if anyone who applied in January made that class
There are a couple of people who posted in this thread who applied in January and made the class.

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Has anyone on this thread received an offer for August class?
OPP

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Postby Code Tree » Wed May 01, 2019 2:09 pm

JS95 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:34 pm
alexgue89 wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:13 pm
Cosmo wrote:

This was my best guess as well. Even with the countless applications they received, they may have only been able to find 58 applicants who they deemed highly competitive in all or most areas of assessment. Recruitment has made it clear that the dropping of the COR does NOT indicate a lowering of any standards. Although they may receive thousands of applications each year, I imagine a lot of those applications may very well be people wasting their own time applying when they clearly lack in many areas. The idea of dropping the COR will lead to more of those applicant types, but at the same time should yield a higher number of competitive candidates who they can select to fill a class of 100. Again, that’s how I see it but I’d be interested if any knows something other than my uneducated guess lol.
I would say you're on the ball. April classes (including mine) trend towards the smaller side for some reason. When I went through, they made it very clear that they'd left spots vacant due to a lack of qualified candidates.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Wed May 01, 2019 10:51 pm

I was in April class last year which also had 58 recruits. They told us that even though they wanted 100 seats filled they wouldn’t lower standards for the sake of making that number.

ani89
Rookie Member

Postby ani89 » Thu May 02, 2019 1:28 am

Hi guys.

I'm new here. And wanted to ask a few question. For people outside province is it hard to make it?
In the applications 4package I didn't see hearing and vision form with application to be submited or does it come later ?

Belanger797
Rookie Member

Postby Belanger797 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 am

Cosmo wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:00 pm
I am wondering the same thing! Been sitting in silence for a few weeks now after completing all the stages.

Cheers !

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm

Belanger797 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 am
Cosmo wrote:
I am wondering the same thing! Been sitting in silence for a few weeks now after completing all the stages.

Cheers !
I remember reading in this thread that an applicant received an offer in January for the April class. So hopefully they will start handing out offers soon!
OPP

JS95
Rookie Member

Postby JS95 » Thu May 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 12:16 pm
Belanger797 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:28 am
Cosmo wrote:

Cheers !
I remember reading in this thread that an applicant received an offer in January for the April class. So hopefully they will start handing out offers soon!
Hopefully they will wait a month so I can catch up to you guys in the process :P
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation
May 7 - LFI

Cman
Rookie Member

Sigma OPP

Postby Cman » Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to vest prepare for the SIGMA? What it intails and types of questions to prepare for ? Thanks in advance

Belanger797
Rookie Member

Re: Sigma OPP

Postby Belanger797 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:19 pm

Cman wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:33 pm
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can shed some light on how to vest prepare for the SIGMA? What it intails and types of questions to prepare for ? Thanks in advance
Policeprep.com is what I used. They have many different tests you can use to study from. Just remember you only have 35 minutes to answer 74 questions. Only answer the ones you know then go back to the other if you have time.

Cheers