OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Code Tree » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:07 pm

Don't be first, don't be last. When I went I aimed to keep my 10km under 60 minutes and that worked for me.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am

sam89 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:33 pm
lookingtoearnmybadge wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:51 pm
sam89 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:55 pm
Is there anyone who applied in the first week of February and waiting for the LFI invitation?
I applied in the first week of February. Received my file # but nothing since. Except for the notifications to hold all fitness logs and hand them over to the recruiter during the LFI. Patiently waiting and improving
Same here. All we can do is improve and wait. Good Luck.
Hi Sam89,
I applied at the end of January and got file# couple of weeks later. I sent monthly updates and received reply back. I see some timelines that are super fast. I don't know if where you are located has anything to do how fast your application progress but as you said keep improving and hope for the best.

Good luck :)

sam89
Rookie Member

Postby sam89 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:36 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:48 am
sam89 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:33 pm
lookingtoearnmybadge wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:51 pm

I applied in the first week of February. Received my file # but nothing since. Except for the notifications to hold all fitness logs and hand them over to the recruiter during the LFI. Patiently waiting and improving
Same here. All we can do is improve and wait. Good Luck.
Hi Sam89,
I applied at the end of January and got file# couple of weeks later. I sent monthly updates and received reply back. I see some timelines that are super fast. I don't know if where you are located has anything to do how fast your application progress but as you said keep improving and hope for the best.

Good luck :)
Hi stribor45,
Yes, Pretty sure they are dealing with loads of applications right now and hence the delay but that's ok. Also, i have applied as an out of province applicant.
Good luck!

opp2

Postby opp2 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:28 pm

Lads, Lasses, I know it's hard to be patient. I was where you are a long time ago. We have been without a Commissioner, and with a new government for the past 8 months (all in). We have just had our new Commissioner start yesterday, and a new Commander for the Career Development Bureau (where recruiting lies) yesterday too. These pauses in filling leadership roles causes delays across the board. Trust me, recruiting is working hard. As you can imagine there will be new leaders at the top as many of our senior members can and will retire in the coming months. Things will start to flow soon.. patience is key... it's not you, it's us... I hope that helps.
Investigate and educate before jumping off the Cliff of Assumption.

mitt1989
Rookie Member

Postby mitt1989 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 pm

Hey!

I am currently a student at Carleton University in Ottawa studying Criminology and Criminal Justice. I am nearing the end of my 2nd year and trying to decide between staying in my current 4 year program which is considered an honours degree or switching to a 3 year program which is considered a general degree. To my knowledge, the 4 year program is simply for people who want to continue their education past their undergraduate degree and the 3 year program is for those looking to jump into the work force. Will switching to the general 3 year degree put me at a disadvantage in my application? Also, I spoke to an OPP recruiter and they touched on how they look for people with life experience, does anyone have any suggestions for a student looking to gain life experience and better their application?

Thanks.

JS95
Rookie Member

Postby JS95 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:56 pm

mitt1989 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 pm
Hey!

I am currently a student at Carleton University in Ottawa studying Criminology and Criminal Justice. I am nearing the end of my 2nd year and trying to decide between staying in my current 4 year program which is considered an honours degree or switching to a 3 year program which is considered a general degree. To my knowledge, the 4 year program is simply for people who want to continue their education past their undergraduate degree and the 3 year program is for those looking to jump into the work force. Will switching to the general 3 year degree put me at a disadvantage in my application? Also, I spoke to an OPP recruiter and they touched on how they look for people with life experience, does anyone have any suggestions for a student looking to gain life experience and better their application?

Thanks.
I completed a four year honors program and cannot recall anyone who ended or left after three years. All my friends and anyone I met throughout school were there for 4 years. Heck, many even took five years to do a 4 year program! I know three years is an option but virtually nobody does it, especially when you’re already three quarters of the way to being finished a standard four year degree. Four years is the norm for an undergraduate university program, and I never heard it phrased that way that the four year is mainly for people looking to continue past undergrad. What I do know (which I think you may be mixing it up with) is the four year honors is the path intended for people planning graduate studies, whereas the general four year program is sufficient for those who do not intend to continue further in their field of study. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend against leaving after three years - unless you have good reason to do so - because the four year degree is what will help you standout from the crowd when applying to positions in the workforce. Having the honors four year looks even better.

There is no concrete answer to whether you would be at a disadvantage applying to the OPP with a theee year degree, but certainly having a four year degree will help set you apart, keeping in mind the OPP highly values commitment to education and continued learning. In terms of life experience, volunteering with various organizations will help get you some of the experience you need. Other than that, the decision is yours to make.
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:18 am

mitt1989 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:02 pm
Hey!

Thanks.
Read your RCMP thread. Myself and other officers already gave you good answers.
LEO

JS95
Rookie Member

Postby JS95 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:23 pm

For anyone who recently completed the LFI, do you recall the approximate timeframe between when you received the LFI package and when a member from recruitment called you to schedule your date? I received the email nine days ago stating I would be contacted, but have not received a phone call so I am a bit curious.
OPP
Jan 8 - Applied
Jan 11 - File # assigned
April 2 - LFI Invitation

Peppercorn
Rookie Member

Postby Peppercorn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm

Just a Question.....
As far as submitting an application and having to add A couple more employment history pages, adobe reader will not let me fill the other ones out uniquely. It copies everything for my top employment history page and put it in the following two. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble? And can offer me any advice to overcome it?

Thanks in advance!

vincenzo_loud
Rookie Member

Postby vincenzo_loud » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm

Peppercorn wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:57 pm
Just a Question.....
As far as submitting an application and having to add A couple more employment history pages, adobe reader will not let me fill the other ones out uniquely. It copies everything for my top employment history page and put it in the following two. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble? And can offer me any advice to overcome it?

Thanks in advance!
Unless you have Adobe Acrobat Professional or DC and know how to edit the form fields the easiest way would be to create a new PDF file and just fill them out, print/scan, then combine it back into one package.

Peppercorn
Rookie Member

Postby Peppercorn » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:14 pm

vincenzo_loud wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:53 pm
Peppercorn wrote:
Just a Question.....

Thanks in advance!
Unless you have Adobe Acrobat Professional or DC and know how to edit the form fields the easiest way would be to create a new PDF file and just fill them out, print/scan, then combine it back into one package.

Okay, thanks!
I do have Adobe pro, but I still can’t figure out how to have 3 of the same page but the fields filled in different. As for printing and scanning that totally worked but doesn’t look as nice. Guess I’ll have to to what I have to do to get it all in one document.
Thanks again for the reply

CAGE_1
Rookie Member

Postby CAGE_1 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:11 pm

I know personally for me I downloaded adobe, opened up a separate application file (for example the fitness logs as I wanted 4 however they would continue to place the information from my first 2 in my 3rd and 4th) Filled out the logs, used the snipping tool, snipped out the logs and added them separately as another file, therefore voiding the actual original files from over lapping. Hopefully that helps, I know I was super confused with it when I first started filling out the application.

lookingtoearnmybadge
Rookie Member

Postby lookingtoearnmybadge » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Peppercorn wrote:
Just a Question.....

Thanks in advance!
:wave: Peppercorn,
It depends on your knowledge and proficiency in using adobe acrobat pro. If you have experience creating forms using adobe you will find that each page and fields created have a unique name. When you extract a page and reinsert it to get an extra page to enter additional employment information, those field names from the inserted page become duplicate(s) of the original/top page that still exists in the document. Whatever information entered in the original/top page is automatically duplicated/copied the number of times you inserted the page.
If you want the information you entered into the other two or three pages to remain, you have to individual rename each field name. To do this, open your application package in adobe acrobat. Scroll to the page you wish to stop duplicating the top page. Click prepare form. This highlights all the fields on that page and displays each field name to the right or left (depending on your version of your adobe acrobat) window. You can right-click each field to rename. Make sure it has a different field name from the other pages. (I just added an additional letter to the name which makes it unique from other fields in the document). When you have done this for all the fields in both pages that keep copying your top page. Hit save.
Whatever you enter in this field now will not be overwritten ;)
Let me know if you need further clarification and if it works for you. Goodluck :thumbsup:

A simpler option is to print off the top page, enter additional employment info, print off again. When you have all your employment information and have completed your application package, you can now scan your additional pages and insert them into your application package. Then compress to a smaller file size and "Bob's your uncle". Or "you're golden" if you already have an uncle called Bob. ;)

snap_a_do
Rookie Member

Postby snap_a_do » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm

Hello everyone,

Just found this website on the weekend when I was searching for answers to my questions on the hiring process. There is a wealth of information here and I hope I can contribute with my experience on the application process.

I will be submitting my OPP application today after 1.5 months of getting everything in order. I just went to an information session in Toronto and that was pretty much the last step before submission.

Congrats to everyone who's in the process of being hired, and good luck to those in the same position as me.

Cheers!
Henry

sam89
Rookie Member

Postby sam89 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:59 pm

snap_a_do wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:51 pm
Hello everyone,

Just found this website on the weekend when I was searching for answers to my questions on the hiring process. There is a wealth of information here and I hope I can contribute with my experience on the application process.

I will be submitting my OPP application today after 1.5 months of getting everything in order. I just went to an information session in Toronto and that was pretty much the last step before submission.

Congrats to everyone who's in the process of being hired, and good luck to those in the same position as me.

Cheers!
Henry
Good luck snap_a _do.