OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
arturmiel
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat May 09, 2020 8:06 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby arturmiel » Sat May 09, 2020 9:06 am

I also would have preferred to do my interview in person. The virtual interview was surprisingly good and it still felt as intense as an in person interview. I ran into technical difficulties with my recruiter. My recruiter wasn't receiving emails from myself so there were two documents missing during the interview. It wasn't until two days later when my recruiter finally started receiving emails from myself again. That was stressful but I stayed in contact with my recruiter until they received all documentation. Hopefully it all works out for me and all those applying.

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu May 25, 2017 8:31 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sat May 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Code Tree wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:38 pm
caseproven wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:23 pm
This is a question for anyone who has been hired by the OPP. How many of you have been placed in your top 6 detachment preferred locations?

How many of you received one of your top two locations?

I'm so early in the process and nothing is certain but I do tend to try to plan for every possible outcome and uprooting myself from Quebec means there's a lot that goes into it! Mainly tasking my wife to do research on schools/amenities/real estate etc but you can't be too prepared!

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!
It really varies depending on what the service needs. I went through in 2017 and all but one got one of their six requests. The ones that asked for more desirable postings tended to get something lower on the list. But, a recent class went through and everybody was sent north. You really only know when you get the offer because what the service needs changes constantly.
A few silly questions, but are you (or anyone else) able to speak a bit more on the more desirable locations part and where some of those spots may be?

I also came across a post from 2018 that mentioned Hawkesbury being a mandatory bilingual posting, understandably so. Do you know if that is still the case or of any other postings that may have the same or similar requirements? Language requirements, special skills, etc.)

Finally, are there usually open positions at any of the HSD postings? Would you recommend listing any in particular if this was an area of interest for an applicant? I don't really have many deciding factors for listing one place over another when choosing 6 preferred locations, however, I am trying to gather as much info from as many sources as possible to help guide my choices.

Thanks in advance!

PTrotts
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby PTrotts » Sat May 09, 2020 8:49 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:30 pm
Code Tree wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:38 pm
caseproven wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:23 pm
This is a question for anyone who has been hired by the OPP. How many of you have been placed in your top 6 detachment preferred locations?

How many of you received one of your top two locations?

I'm so early in the process and nothing is certain but I do tend to try to plan for every possible outcome and uprooting myself from Quebec means there's a lot that goes into it! Mainly tasking my wife to do research on schools/amenities/real estate etc but you can't be too prepared!

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!
It really varies depending on what the service needs. I went through in 2017 and all but one got one of their six requests. The ones that asked for more desirable postings tended to get something lower on the list. But, a recent class went through and everybody was sent north. You really only know when you get the offer because what the service needs changes constantly.
A few silly questions, but are you (or anyone else) able to speak a bit more on the more desirable locations part and where some of those spots may be?

I also came across a post from 2018 that mentioned Hawkesbury being a mandatory bilingual posting, understandably so. Do you know if that is still the case or of any other postings that may have the same or similar requirements? Language requirements, special skills, etc.)

Finally, are there usually open positions at any of the HSD postings? Would you recommend listing any in particular if this was an area of interest for an applicant? I don't really have many deciding factors for listing one place over another when choosing 6 preferred locations, however, I am trying to gather as much info from as many sources as possible to help guide my choices.

Thanks in advance!
I put down a few durations all over the N.E.R. where I know a big part of the population is French speaking, since I'm bilingual (French & English). I've never heard of a mandatory bilingual posting though. I currently reside in Northern Ontario and I love it. I picked a few durations where I know if I was to get a job offer they'd send me to somewhere like Kap, hearst… Keep in mind some of these towns in Northern Ontario, the O.P.P. is the municipal police service for some municipalities such as West Nip, Espanola, Chapleau, Cochrane...

The O.P.P. will send you where they need you, its going to be based on operational needs and not preference. Hope this helps!

O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results
May 3: BGI commenced

Code Tree
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Code Tree » Sun May 10, 2020 6:44 am

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:30 pm
A few silly questions, but are you (or anyone else) able to speak a bit more on the more desirable locations part and where some of those spots may be?

I also came across a post from 2018 that mentioned Hawkesbury being a mandatory bilingual posting, understandably so. Do you know if that is still the case or of any other postings that may have the same or similar requirements? Language requirements, special skills, etc.)

Finally, are there usually open positions at any of the HSD postings? Would you recommend listing any in particular if this was an area of interest for an applicant? I don't really have many deciding factors for listing one place over another when choosing 6 preferred locations, however, I am trying to gather as much info from as many sources as possible to help guide my choices.

Thanks in advance!
If you want HSD, there's a good chance you'll get it. I started there and while I'm happy where I'm at now, there are days I miss it. It's not better or worse than general duties. It's just different. Some of the most memorable experiences I've had were on a 400 series highway. If you're passionate about traffic enforcement there's plenty to keep you occupied. After all, everybody has to get from point A to point B at some point - including the bad guys.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

Fallenwas
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:08 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Fallenwas » Tue May 12, 2020 10:58 pm

Is there anyone here that I can pm to ask some questions? I just need to know something for applying.

Mikk
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:16 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Mikk » Wed May 13, 2020 4:28 am

Fallenwas wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 10:58 pm
Is there anyone here that I can pm to ask some questions? I just need to know something for applying.
Yeah sure.
OPP Timeline

Applied on: March 31,2020
File no: April 8, 2020
LFI invitation: April 20, 2020
Virtual interview : June 2, 2020

Medic5178
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Medic5178 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:52 pm

Anyone got any news on whats happening with the april class?
OPP:
Sub: Oct 31 2019
File#: Nov 5
LFI Invite: Dec 12
LFI/Psych/SIGMA: Dec 16
LFI Results: Jan 6 2020
Fingerprints: Jan 22
Background start: Jan 23
Med: Feb 1
Home Interview: Feb 4
Backcomplete: Feb 21
Psych int: March 06
The call: April 1st

PTrotts
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby PTrotts » Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm

O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results
May 3: BGI commenced
May 12: Psych test

masejj
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby masejj » Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 pm

PTrotts wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm
O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results
May 3: BGI commenced
May 12: Psych test
Hi PTrotts,
I am also applying to be a Constable with the OPP in the N.E.R. My BGI notice was on May 8. Curious about how Psych test was conducted. Did you get notice that it will be done online or via FaceTime?

Is there any other applicants currently at the stage with the BGI?
OPP application
March 3 application sent
March 26 file created
April 14 LFI invite
April 30 LFI
May 8 BGI commenced

PTrotts
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby PTrotts » Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am

masejj wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 11:12 pm
PTrotts wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:34 pm
O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results
May 3: BGI commenced
May 12: Psych test
Hi PTrotts,
I am also applying to be a Constable with the OPP in the N.E.R. My BGI notice was on May 8. Curious about how Psych test was conducted. Did you get notice that it will be done online or via FaceTime?

Is there any other applicants currently at the stage with the BGI?
Hey yourself! O.P.P. will contact you to complete the psych test. For me it was completed online. You will receive detailed instructions on how to complete the psych test. As far as advice, make sure you get a good night's rest prior to your psych test. The day of your psych test, try not to spend too much time looking at screens (phone, tv, computer) if you can.

The entire psych testing took me about 5 hours from start to complete.

Hope this helps, listen to the psychologist, read the instructions and be honest.

masejj
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 13, 2020 9:57 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby masejj » Thu May 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Wow, thank you for the help! 5 hrs is a pretty good amount of time doing the test. Hope I make it that far that I have the opportunity for the test.

Where are you applying for if you don’t mind me asking?
OPP application
March 3 application sent
March 26 file created
April 14 LFI invite
April 30 LFI
May 8 BGI commenced

PTrotts
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:23 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby PTrotts » Thu May 14, 2020 8:49 pm

O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results
May 3: BGI commenced
May 12: Psych test
May 14: Home interview

OPP Wannabe
Rookie Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:25 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby OPP Wannabe » Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm

Medic5178 wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 1:52 pm
Anyone got any news on whats happening with the april class?
Try checking the “hired” thread - post there maybe may get some better replies /pun

Anyway, I haven’t heard any confirmed stories or confirmation from instructors or OPC, however a member is saying that June 15th is a confirmed day - unsure when they plan on telling recruits as our recruits and admin staff have not been told anything as of today.

Hope that helps.

Wannabe. X

Medic5178
Rookie Member
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:14 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Medic5178 » Fri May 15, 2020 10:27 am

OPP Wannabe wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 9:22 pm
[quote=Medic5178 post_id=848049 time=<a href="tel:1589392339">1589392339</a> user_id=50395]
Anyone got any news on whats happening with the april class?
Try checking the “hired” thread - post there maybe may get some better replies /pun

Anyway, I haven’t heard any confirmed stories or confirmation from instructors or OPC, however a member is saying that June 15th is a confirmed day - unsure when they plan on telling recruits as our recruits and admin staff have not been told anything as of today.

Hope that helps.

Wannabe. X
[/quote]

Thank you very much, I will be checking that! June 15th sounds good. I hope to get notified soon.
OPP:
Sub: Oct 31 2019
File#: Nov 5
LFI Invite: Dec 12
LFI/Psych/SIGMA: Dec 16
LFI Results: Jan 6 2020
Fingerprints: Jan 22
Background start: Jan 23
Med: Feb 1
Home Interview: Feb 4
Backcomplete: Feb 21
Psych int: March 06
The call: April 1st

ktb89
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:10 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby ktb89 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi All,
I am preparing my application to apply hopefully early next week.
Just have a question here. On the check list of mandatory information, it says copies of certificates if applicable:- do you include your actual diploma(s)/Degree? or just certificate like OACP, First Aid etc.

Thanks kindly.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DV39, Google [Bot], SemrushBot and 7 guests