OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby CanadianQuackers » Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 am

Hey everyone,

I've decided to apply to the OPP and a few other services. I have a CBSA application that I put in just before graduating university last year, however, it's a much slower process. Since policing is in a similar field, albeit different roles, I thought I would research and apply.

I just had some questions about the fitness portion. Admittedly I'm not a runner but I started running at the end of March when I decided to apply to policing. I used to do HIIT stuff just to prepare for the PARE but not much more. I started at 13:06 (April) for the 2.4km run and I'm down to 12:25 as of today. What does/did everyone do to improve their run time? I have seen a lot of people reporting some great results of 90-99 on the self-pin and was just looking for some pointers. I do well in the push-ups and sit/reach but I would like to really improve running.

I am currently doing intervals of either 16x100m or 8x400m; 3x1200m and then either a longer run 5-6km or testing my 2.4km run time. I was thinking about getting a bike for some lower impact exercise since I never have pool access, let alone now. Anyone else cycle as a means of fitness?

Also how would I measure the core endurance test for the self-PIN? My thought was doing an elbow-plank but I know they're two different exercises, curious what others have done? I don't have a back extension machine or someone to aid in testing.

caseproven
Rookie Member

Postby caseproven » Sat May 02, 2020 6:23 pm

This is a question for anyone who has been hired by the OPP. How many of you have been placed in your top 6 detachment preferred locations?

How many of you received one of your top two locations?

I'm so early in the process and nothing is certain but I do tend to try to plan for every possible outcome and uprooting myself from Quebec means there's a lot that goes into it! Mainly tasking my wife to do research on schools/amenities/real estate etc but you can't be too prepared!

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!
OPP App Timeline:

Subm.: 23-April-20
File N: 27-April-20
PBQ/LFI Interview Invite: 8-May-20
LFI Interview: 22-May-20

caseproven
Rookie Member

Postby caseproven » Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 pm

CanadianQuackers wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 am
Hey everyone,

I've decided to apply to the OPP and a few other services. I have a CBSA application that I put in just before graduating university last year, however, it's a much slower process. Since policing is in a similar field, albeit different roles, I thought I would research and apply.

I just had some questions about the fitness portion. Admittedly I'm not a runner but I started running at the end of March when I decided to apply to policing. I used to do HIIT stuff just to prepare for the PARE but not much more. I started at 13:06 (April) for the 2.4km run and I'm down to 12:25 as of today. What does/did everyone do to improve their run time? I have seen a lot of people reporting some great results of 90-99 on the self-pin and was just looking for some pointers. I do well in the push-ups and sit/reach but I would like to really improve running.

I am currently doing intervals of either 16x100m or 8x400m; 3x1200m and then either a longer run 5-6km or testing my 2.4km run time. I was thinking about getting a bike for some lower impact exercise since I never have pool access, let alone now. Anyone else cycle as a means of fitness?

Also how would I measure the core endurance test for the self-PIN? My thought was doing an elbow-plank but I know they're two different exercises, curious what others have done? I don't have a back extension machine or someone to aid in testing.
I've seen a slow decline in my 2.4km times. Mostly doing a hard 2.4km run one day, rest the next day, do a 5-7km run, rest the next day, shuttle run (2x3 practices), rest the next day and repeat, usually getting a double rest day in there somewhere and I've seen my time from 13:45 down to 11:10 in just a short 3 months. That being, said, there's some days I still hit the 12 minute mark, so there is some variance depending on how the body feels, hydration, overall exhaustion etc.

The best thing that works for me is my fitness watch (garmin) as it allows me to look at pace, my heartrate, and a whole bunch of stats. For myself, it's quite motivating but I like breaking down the numbers and the app also lets me know how to better train. I listen to music while running but every minute or so I get a voice notification of my overall km/h pace and it helps push me. Definitely mixing it up is the best, but for myself, I need outside factors to motivate me. I'm competitive but if I have no one to run with to push me, I need to have something (device/app) that lets me compete against myself and my previous times. Sounds like you're on the right path.

As for cycling, it's a great way to build up your vo2max. The back extension, you can pretty much lay flat on your stumach and do sets of lifting opposite arms/legs while keeping your shoulders off the ground. Lots of bodyweight things you can do. That's definitely my weak spot as well.
OPP App Timeline:

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Postby Code Tree » Sat May 02, 2020 9:38 pm

caseproven wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:23 pm
This is a question for anyone who has been hired by the OPP. How many of you have been placed in your top 6 detachment preferred locations?

How many of you received one of your top two locations?

I'm so early in the process and nothing is certain but I do tend to try to plan for every possible outcome and uprooting myself from Quebec means there's a lot that goes into it! Mainly tasking my wife to do research on schools/amenities/real estate etc but you can't be too prepared!

Any info at all is greatly appreciated!
It really varies depending on what the service needs. I went through in 2017 and all but one got one of their six requests. The ones that asked for more desirable postings tended to get something lower on the list. But, a recent class went through and everybody was sent north. You really only know when you get the offer because what the service needs changes constantly.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

CanadianQuackers
Rookie Member

Postby CanadianQuackers » Mon May 04, 2020 9:57 am

caseproven wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 6:31 pm
CanadianQuackers wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 9:22 am
Hey everyone,

I've seen a slow decline in my 2.4km times. Mostly doing a hard 2.4km run one day, rest the next day, do a 5-7km run, rest the next day, shuttle run (2x3 practices), rest the next day and repeat, usually getting a double rest day in there somewhere and I've seen my time from 13:45 down to 11:10 in just a short 3 months. That being, said, there's some days I still hit the 12 minute mark, so there is some variance depending on how the body feels, hydration, overall exhaustion etc.

The best thing that works for me is my fitness watch (garmin) as it allows me to look at pace, my heartrate, and a whole bunch of stats. For myself, it's quite motivating but I like breaking down the numbers and the app also lets me know how to better train. I listen to music while running but every minute or so I get a voice notification of my overall km/h pace and it helps push me. Definitely mixing it up is the best, but for myself, I need outside factors to motivate me. I'm competitive but if I have no one to run with to push me, I need to have something (device/app) that lets me compete against myself and my previous times. Sounds like you're on the right path.

As for cycling, it's a great way to build up your vo2max. The back extension, you can pretty much lay flat on your stumach and do sets of lifting opposite arms/legs while keeping your shoulders off the ground. Lots of bodyweight things you can do. That's definitely my weak spot as well.
Thanks for the reply! A fitness watch would be lovely, hoping to save up some cash in the future to get one. It sounds like I just need to stay the course and my time should continue to come down steadily. I guess I shall pickup a bike hopefully in the next week or two! Thanks-again!

Sb13ky
Rookie Member

Postby Sb13ky » Mon May 04, 2020 10:05 am

For applicants that have a LFI scheduled, for the detachment information for choosing your top 6, did you choose a detachment like Essex for example. Or did you choose Essex (Leamington)?
OPP
Submitted Application: April 14, 2020
File Number Received: April 17, 2020
LFI Invitation: April 29, 2020
LFI: May 13, 2020

ontca
Rookie Member

Postby ontca » Mon May 04, 2020 8:22 pm

Sb13ky wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 10:05 am
For applicants that have a LFI scheduled, for the detachment information for choosing your top 6, did you choose a detachment like Essex for example. Or did you choose Essex (Leamington)?
I used the name exactly how they listed in the PDF sent to us.

BigCountry
Rookie Member

Postby BigCountry » Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 am

Question for anyone that has recently been hired. After finishing OPC and before returning to PPA for the remaining 8 weeks, do you finish OPC on Friday then PPA on Monday or do you get a week off in between?

cja91
Rookie Member

Postby cja91 » Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Hello Everyone,

Just curious how many people applied to multiple services at once or just one and what your perspective was on how it affected your experience in the hiring process?

Thanks!

Wingman19

Postby Wingman19 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:08 pm

cja91 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:50 pm
Hello Everyone,

Just curious how many people applied to multiple services at once or just one and what your perspective was on how it affected your experience in the hiring process?

Thanks!
Hi cja91,

Apply to wherever you like. It hasn't affected me in anyway, I'm moving forward with some, others are floating up in the air. I recently graduated University, so the logical thing was to apply to places I am able and willing to work in. I don't think any Police service would discriminate an applicant who applied to multiple services. Depending where you are in the process, one service may ask you to withdraw your application as a show of loyalty and determination.

Good luck.
RCMP ON APP
app: Dec 4 2019
SP: Dec16 2019
QA review: Dec 23 2019
PBQ: Feb 10/20
Suitability: Feb 26/20
RMAQ: April/20
RFI April/20
PEP: Recom May 1/20
PEP rec: :swords:
Many Municipal apps: On-Going

Sb13ky
Rookie Member

Postby Sb13ky » Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 pm

Wingman19 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 6:08 pm
cja91 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Hi cja91,

Apply to wherever you like. It hasn't affected me in anyway, I'm moving forward with some, others are floating up in the air. I recently graduated University, so the logical thing was to apply to places I am able and willing to work in. I don't think any Police service would discriminate an applicant who applied to multiple services. Depending where you are in the process, one service may ask you to withdraw your application as a show of loyalty and determination.

Good luck.
I’m going to follow that up with if you apply to multiple services make sure you know why you applied to each service. Obviously you want a job in policing but you should be able to talk about that area and why it attracts you and why you would want to work for that police service.

I recently was at Waterloo’s LFA and I just discussed with the recruiter that I do have 5 active applications with 4 moving forward right now. I told him I could talk about every service as to why I applied there and he said that was alright. He gave me good advice though that if you are applying to multiple places make sure it doesn’t impact work. There are so many days you can take off and it doesn’t look good taking a lot of time off, regardless if your workplace is supporting it. I found the recruiters at Waterloo super helpful and understanding.

Hope that helps!
OPP

matty
Rookie Member

Postby matty » Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 pm

Sb13ky wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 pm
Wingman19 wrote:
cja91 wrote:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks!
Hi cja91,

Good luck.
I’m going to follow that up with if you apply to multiple services make sure you know why you applied to each service. Obviously you want a job in policing but you should be able to talk about that area and why it attracts you and why you would want to work for that police service.

I recently was at Waterloo’s LFA and I just discussed with the recruiter that I do have 5 active applications with 4 moving forward right now. I told him I could talk about every service as to why I applied there and he said that was alright. He gave me good advice though that if you are applying to multiple places make sure it doesn’t impact work. There are so many days you can take off and it doesn’t look good taking a lot of time off, regardless if your workplace is supporting it. I found the recruiters at Waterloo super helpful and understanding.

Hope that helps!
Good luck on your upcoming LFI btw.
OPP App Timeline:

Subm.: 10-NOV-19
File N: 12-NOV-19
PBQ: 10-DEC-19
LFI Inv.: 11-DEC-19
LFI: 07-JAN-20
LFI Results: 17-JAN-20
Psych/SIGMA: 24-JAN-20
Med: 06-FEB-20
Backg: 10-FEB-20
Home Int.: 17-FEB-20
Psych Int.: 05-MAR-20
The call: 27-APR-20

Sb13ky
Rookie Member

Postby Sb13ky » Fri May 08, 2020 10:21 pm

matty wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:51 pm
Sb13ky wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:11 pm
Wingman19 wrote:

Hi cja91,

Good luck.

Hope that helps!
Good luck on your upcoming LFI btw.
Thanks Matty! Super nervous but I’ve been preparing as much as I can!
OPP

arturmiel
Rookie Member

Postby arturmiel » Sat May 09, 2020 8:12 am

Good morning all,

I completed my LFI on April 28, 2020. I've looked at other users who have recently completed their LFI and they received results in approximately 2-3 weeks. Would it be fair to say that this is fairly accurate considering COVID-19? I understand that every application is different and times may vary. This is my second application to Police Services after removing myself from the RCMP because I was hired by Ontario Corrections and I am just anxiously waiting. :p

Thanks,

Artur

caseproven
Rookie Member

Postby caseproven » Sat May 09, 2020 8:57 am

arturmiel wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:12 am
Good morning all,

I completed my LFI on April 28, 2020. I've looked at other users who have recently completed their LFI and they received results in approximately 2-3 weeks. Would it be fair to say that this is fairly accurate considering COVID-19? I understand that every application is different and times may vary. This is my second application to Police Services after removing myself from the RCMP because I was hired by Ontario Corrections and I am just anxiously waiting. :p

Thanks,

Artur
Hey, I can tell you that when I found these forums, I went way back in this thread line and started checking everyones timeline, what the longest/shortest and average waiting time between each stage. It might sound obsessive but the whole process is tough and I didn't want TIME to be another "challenge" to this process. So, with that info, I created my own timeline and can say its quite wide ranging haha, but, I'm not stressing between for WHEN I will get the next notification, I am looking forward to that LFI and just wishing it could be in person. My fear now is some kind of technical issue!

2-3 weeks seems average to get results back but I did get several emails recently communicating that they are extremely busy. How generic those statements were I do not know but I imagine with everything going on right now, it's an added level of work on their end.
OPP App Timeline: