OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
PTrotts
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby PTrotts » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Sb13ky wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:18 am
caseproven wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 am
Hey everyone! Just discovered these forums!

Very interesting to read everyone's experiences and nice to see some actual dates through the process.

I was curious about the fitness logs as I saw someone post up about how they look for people getting 90% and above.

I've always been relatively healthy, active, playing sports every week until this whole covid-19 mess and obviously in the last 3 months I've been training with a purpose. That being said, I was able to get a 75.5% on the PIN the first time I tested on marked that on my first or second fitness log. (I submitted over 2 months worth). My most recent PIN test was 79.5% and I've previously had an 81% as my highest. I'm 34 years old. I'd be scoring way higher if I just turned 35 already :P

I really feel I am making huge strides. I'm a sprinter so these 2.4km runs are foreign. Many times I've been running 4-5 km and simply checking my time when I hit 2.4km. While that seems good to me, obviously my 2.4km times will show me running at a moderate pace rather than if I went all out for it. My comfortable jogging pace has me around 13:15 - 13:30 for 2.4km and when I actually try I'm hitting 11:20 - 11:50.

So, I'm wondering how accurate the information is that they want candidates with 90%+? And, will they understand my logs when it shows I ran 5km and on the right hand side my PIN run time was taken from that 5k? I'm hoping I'll get to explain it. Pretty sure I can hit an 85% but 90% and over? I'll have to turn a year older 8)

Anyhow, this is my first post, just want to say hello!

I believe 75% is the bare minimum so seeing your improvement is awesome. I’m also an applicant and I can’t speak for anyone looking at your application.

I don’t think they look at your application and if they see under 90% they toss it aside. Fitness is one of the components that they look for in candidates. Obviously the higher the number the better but I don’t think if you are under 90% that means you won’t make it on. There are way too many factors in the process to give a yes or no on a forum. At the end of the day, it’s up to the OPP so it’s good you submitted your application.

Just keep working hard and your score will keep improving! I’m 25 and submitted my application recently. I have scored 100% on my most recent PIN Test but again, that is only one component. I’m a younger candidate and just finished school. I worked throughout university and college but I still don’t have that full time work experience that some applicants have. Definitely an asset.
They assess all areas according to the O.P.P. pie chart which I'm sure you've seen. Prior to applying, I participated at an O.P.P. symposium and there, the recruiters stated that they're looking for people who are well rounded. In other words they want people who are successful in every aspect of life, education, fitness, community involvement, driving, special skills. Yes as a police officer fitness is very important, personally I don't think one area of assessment trumps another as long as you meet the standards. I believe each pie on the chart is worth 10%. Hope that helps.

O.P.P. application (N.E.R.)

January 27: Sent application
January 29: File number assigned
February 13: Invitation to PASS/PBQ
March 17: PASS/PBQ test postponed due to COVID-19
March 18: Invitation to PBQ/LFI
April 9: PBQ/LFI
April 23: LFI results, proceeding to the BGI

caseproven
Rookie Member

Postby caseproven » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 pm

PTrotts wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:40 pm
Sb13ky wrote:
caseproven wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:35 am
Hey everyone! Just discovered these forums!

Very interesting to read everyone's experiences and nice to see some actual dates through the process.

I was curious about the fitness logs as I saw someone post up about how they look for people getting 90% and above.

I've always been relatively healthy, active, playing sports every week until this whole covid-19 mess and obviously in the last 3 months I've been training with a purpose. That being said, I was able to get a 75.5% on the PIN the first time I tested on marked that on my first or second fitness log. (I submitted over 2 months worth). My most recent PIN test was 79.5% and I've previously had an 81% as my highest. I'm 34 years old. I'd be scoring way higher if I just turned 35 already :P

I really feel I am making huge strides. I'm a sprinter so these 2.4km runs are foreign. Many times I've been running 4-5 km and simply checking my time when I hit 2.4km. While that seems good to me, obviously my 2.4km times will show me running at a moderate pace rather than if I went all out for it. My comfortable jogging pace has me around 13:15 - 13:30 for 2.4km and when I actually try I'm hitting 11:20 - 11:50.

So, I'm wondering how accurate the information is that they want candidates with 90%+? And, will they understand my logs when it shows I ran 5km and on the right hand side my PIN run time was taken from that 5k? I'm hoping I'll get to explain it. Pretty sure I can hit an 85% but 90% and over? I'll have to turn a year older 8)

Anyhow, this is my first post, just want to say hello!

I believe 75% is the bare minimum so seeing your improvement is awesome. I’m also an applicant and I can’t speak for anyone looking at your application.

I don’t think they look at your application and if they see under 90% they toss it aside. Fitness is one of the components that they look for in candidates. Obviously the higher the number the better but I don’t think if you are under 90% that means you won’t make it on. There are way too many factors in the process to give a yes or no on a forum. At the end of the day, it’s up to the OPP so it’s good you submitted your application.

Just keep working hard and your score will keep improving! I’m 25 and submitted my application recently. I have scored 100% on my most recent PIN Test but again, that is only one component. I’m a younger candidate and just finished school. I worked throughout university and college but I still don’t have that full time work experience that some applicants have. Definitely an asset.
They assess all areas according to the O.P.P. pie chart which I'm sure you've seen. Prior to applying, I participated at an O.P.P. symposium and there, the recruiters stated that they're looking for people who are well rounded. In other words they want people who are successful in every aspect of life, education, fitness, community involvement, driving, special skills. Yes as a police officer fitness is very important, personally I don't think one area of assessment trumps another as long as you meet the standards. I believe each pie on the chart is worth 10%. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses and the pm's! With the whole process being several months, I'm motivated to keep running! Unfortunately I don't have hockey to keep up with the calorie burns, I had just gotten back into competitive mixed in with the garage leagues, sigh. I'm sure we're all suffering a little in the sports watching/playing area these days! I dread going out for those runs at zero degrees outside but afterward I'm always pleasantly "cool" from the weather and it's becoming addicting.

I know on the treadmill I can get sub 11 minute 2.4km runs with 1% incline... I'm realizing either those treadmills are deceiving, it's easier to keep up with a SET pace OR I need to run with people because I'm competitive in nature? Hmm. When you guys do you 2.4 km run, do you usually start out faster and then slow or reverse? I usually try to run faster toward the end but maybe my strategy is off?
OPP App Timeline:

Subm.: 23-April-20
File N: 27-April-20
PBQ/LFI Interview Invite: 8-May-20
LFI Interview: 22-May-20

Sb13ky
Rookie Member

Postby Sb13ky » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:18 pm

caseproven wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:14 pm
PTrotts wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:40 pm
Sb13ky wrote:

Thanks for the responses and the pm's! With the whole process being several months, I'm motivated to keep running! Unfortunately I don't have hockey to keep up with the calorie burns, I had just gotten back into competitive mixed in with the garage leagues, sigh. I'm sure we're all suffering a little in the sports watching/playing area these days! I dread going out for those runs at zero degrees outside but afterward I'm always pleasantly "cool" from the weather and it's becoming addicting.

I know on the treadmill I can get sub 11 minute 2.4km runs with 1% incline... I'm realizing either those treadmills are deceiving, it's easier to keep up with a SET pace OR I need to run with people because I'm competitive in nature? Hmm. When you guys do you 2.4 km run, do you usually start out faster and then slow or reverse? I usually try to run faster toward the end but maybe my strategy is off?
Treadmills are easier for some people mentally as you can lock into the pace and just go. But at the same time they can be uncalibrated and be off a bit. For someone newer to running I would suggest to start out faster and do the fade from the front. It should result in a faster time if you don’t go out crazy hard, only slightly faster compared to what your normal pace is.

For other applicants that have received the call recently or have moved through the majority of the process, were you submitting courses throughout your application? I submitted a few courses so far that I’ve taken as I have had more time recently.
OPP
Submitted Application: April 14, 2020
File Number Received: April 17, 2020
LFI Invitation: April 29, 2020
LFI: May 13, 2020

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Postby Code Tree » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:57 am

My practice PINs were done in the best of conditions, and my actual PIN was done in the worst of conditions at the academy. Consequently my score took a dive. I was in the high 80s/low 90s and dropped to just under 80%. You'll want to make sure you have a buffer so you can comfortably pass when it matters.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Postby Milzrellin » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm

Does anybody know if it is a good thing if you apply and are given a file number ? Or if that is a standard email from OPP when they receive a completed application package? Any answers would be appreciated.

matty
Rookie Member

Postby matty » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:37 pm

Milzrellin wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:53 pm
Does anybody know if it is a good thing if you apply and are given a file number ? Or if that is a standard email from OPP when they receive a completed application package? Any answers would be appreciated.
From my understanding, if you receive the file number it means that your application meets the minimum requirements and has all the required documents.
OPP App Timeline:

Subm.: 10-NOV-19
File N: 12-NOV-19
PBQ: 10-DEC-19
LFI Inv.: 11-DEC-19
LFI: 07-JAN-20
LFI Results: 17-JAN-20
Psych/SIGMA: 24-JAN-20
Med: 06-FEB-20
Backg: 10-FEB-20
Home Int.: 17-FEB-20
Psych Int.: 05-MAR-20
The call: 27-APR-20

CAGE_1
Rookie Member

Postby CAGE_1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:42 pm

From attending info sessions at GHQ, I know that the general consensus was that if you have below a 85% on the PIN... Don't bother applying. I don't know if that has changed with regards to what they are looking for, however I know many candidates who seemingly did not make it into the process for this factor. OPP regards fitness very highly and as such it's a huge area of assessment, Keep in mind this info session was a year or so ago when there was no pre PPA fitness testing (they now do the shuttle) so this info could be outdated.

caseproven
Rookie Member

Postby caseproven » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 pm

CAGE_1 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:42 pm
From attending info sessions at GHQ, I know that the general consensus was that if you have below a 85% on the PIN... Don't bother applying. I don't know if that has changed with regards to what they are looking for, however I know many candidates who seemingly did not make it into the process for this factor. OPP regards fitness very highly and as such it's a huge area of assessment, Keep in mind this info session was a year or so ago when there was no pre PPA fitness testing (they now do the shuttle) so this info could be outdated.
Yeah, I often would do runs longer than the 2.4km and then simply transfer the time I got toward the PIN testing, which is not very accurate in terms of what I am capable of. Hoping they see that. I recently did the 2.4km run and got an 11:05, which might not seem much but it's way better than taking the 13 or so mins a clock when doing a 5km run. Recent PIN test was 83.5%. I'm curious how much time you actually get between the exercises and what order you do them? The most difficult for me is the back extension. I never know if I'm dipping or if I'm straight and I ask my wife to let me know but pretty sure she has no idea what she's actually judging. Haven't pushed myself too much on it but I'm between 2 and 2.5 mins.

That being said, I prefer the PIN over the shuttle run, that thing kills me every time
OPP App Timeline:

matty
Rookie Member

Postby matty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 pm

caseproven wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 pm
CAGE_1 wrote:
Yeah, I often would do runs longer than the 2.4km and then simply transfer the time I got toward the PIN testing, which is not very accurate in terms of what I am capable of. Hoping they see that. I recently did the 2.4km run and got an 11:05, which might not seem much but it's way better than taking the 13 or so mins a clock when doing a 5km run. Recent PIN test was 83.5%. I'm curious how much time you actually get between the exercises and what order you do them? The most difficult for me is the back extension. I never know if I'm dipping or if I'm straight and I ask my wife to let me know but pretty sure she has no idea what she's actually judging. Haven't pushed myself too much on it but I'm between 2 and 2.5 mins.

That being said, I prefer the PIN over the shuttle run, that thing kills me every time
They usually do push-ups - back extension - forward flex - run
OPP App Timeline:

matty
Rookie Member

Postby matty » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 pm

Hey guys, just letting you know that I just got the offer of employment this afternoon.
OPP App Timeline:

sam89
Rookie Member

Postby sam89 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 pm

matty wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:33 pm
Hey guys, just letting you know that I just got the offer of employment this afternoon.
Congrats matty!

Medic5178
Rookie Member

Postby Medic5178 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:44 pm

matty wrote:
Congrats man! Can’t wait for OPC to start! See you there!
OPP:
Sub: Oct 31 2019
File#: Nov 5
LFI Invite: Dec 12
LFI/Psych/SIGMA: Dec 16
LFI Results: Jan 6 2020
Fingerprints: Jan 22
Background start: Jan 23
Med: Feb 1
Home Interview: Feb 4
Backcomplete: Feb 21
Psych int: March 06
The call: April 1st

K10CDMS
Rookie Member

Postby K10CDMS » Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:38 pm

matty wrote:
Congrats Matty ! That is amazing news. Glad to hear you got the offer ! See you there.
File Sub: Oct 9 2019
File#: Oct 9
PBQ Inv: Oct 10
PBQ: Oct 22
LFI Inv: Oct 24
LFI: Nov 21
LFI Res: Nov 22
Med: Nov 25
Backg Invest: Dec 5
Home Int: Dec 18
Psych & SIGMA: Dec 18
Background done: Dec 24
Psych Int: Feb 5 2020
Offer: Mar 25

caseproven
Rookie Member

Postby caseproven » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:10 pm

matty wrote:
caseproven wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:56 pm
CAGE_1 wrote:

They usually do push-ups - back extension - forward flex - run
Yeah, I guess that order makes sense. I tried thinking of which position I'd want back extension in there and every one made me shudder. So I guess I just have to work on that. I'm about to go for a 10 run now.

I'm feeling pretty good and I only got my file number this morning, you must be feeling ecstatic to get the offer! From March 5th to 27th April (I assume you meant to write April in your signature) is a long period to wait, and perhaps understandable with the current events but man that must feel good!

Congrats!
OPP App Timeline:

Sb13ky
Rookie Member

Postby Sb13ky » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:46 pm

I received an email today saying I made to the LFI interview portion which is super exciting! Just waiting on a date. It seems they are busy with a lot of interviews.
OPP
Submitted Application: April 14, 2020
File Number Received: April 17, 2020
LFI Invitation: April 29, 2020
LFI: May 13, 2020