OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Suikoden » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:05 pm

moorejay wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:34 pm
opp2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 pm
Suikoden wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:31 am

I would be shocked if there weren’t.

Majority of people have skeletons in their closets.

I mean, calling in sick and getting a paid sick day for it when not sick is stealing from employer and I know MANY who have done that.

I’m sure there are former drug addicts or people with pardons in the force. It’s a matter of how much time has passed, how you have lived since and being absolutely upfront and honest during the process on EVERYTHING.

Be honest. Lying when trying to get into the force is worse.
You would be incorrect.
Which part is incorrect if you don’t mind?
I’m curious myself on which parts or if all?

If someone was a dilinquent and drug addict at 20 and they’re 50 when they apply to the force and have been clean for say, 25 years, the force won’t look at them?

I find that hard to believe providing they’ve lived well, have life experience and are of great character.. but I’m not a police officer. Maybe OPP is different? I was going off knowing someone in the RCMP who told me that and press release that if you have a record that has not been pardoned, you won’t be considered which implies if pardoned, you will be considered.

Actions have reprucussions though which I think is something everyone can agree on

opp2

Postby opp2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:55 pm

opp2 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:28 pm

Does anyone have experience getting hired/applying with blemishes in your employment history. Example: Suspension from work?
I would be shocked if there weren’t.

Majority of people have skeletons in their closets.

I mean, calling in sick and getting a paid sick day for it when not sick is stealing from employer and I know MANY who have done that.

I’m sure there are former drug addicts or people with pardons in the force. It’s a matter of how much time has passed, how you have lived since and being absolutely upfront and honest during the process on EVERYTHING.

Be honest. Lying when trying to get into the force is worse.
[/quote]
You would be incorrect.
[/quote]

What I meant was it is unlikely that there are former drug addicts on the force currently. As time passes by the rules around drug use changes. It has only been recently that the use of illegal drugs has been given a time frame, and usually restricted to marihuana and by products. Each case is taken in context and on a case by case basis. Someone who experimented with marihuana would be different from someone who is an admitted addict (which requires a long term exposure and reliance on a drug either legal or illegal -crack cocaine, meth, opioids). In regard to pardons these too would be reviewed on a case by case basis and by nature of offence. I'm sure you are aware that some convicted child abusers have applied for and recieved pardons.
So perhaps you are not incorrect in there may be former drug addicts and pardoned persons who have been hired, however in my opinion there were be very few if any.

You are correct in that lying when trying to get on the service is worse, and if you are caught in a lie you likely won't get hired, and if you do could get hired, deciet could result in dismissal. As a police officer your integrity is at the core of your employment. In the case of gettting suspended from work or getting fired, background investigators are very good at what they do and will discover if you have not admitted it. Better to add it to your history and articulate what happened, what you learned and what you have done to remedy the situtation going forward.

Best wishes to all of you.
Investigate and educate before jumping off the Cliff of Assumption.

Suikoden
Rookie Member

Postby Suikoden » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:00 pm

Great post opp2! Thanks for clarifying!

otwobjj
Veteran Member

Postby otwobjj » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:16 pm

moorejay wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:13 am
Does anyone have experience getting hired/applying with blemishes in your employment history. Example: Suspension from work?

I had a lengthy suspension and got hired non the less.

ubique89
Rookie Member

Postby ubique89 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Just for anyone who is wondering; the file numbers are not being worked as they are received. It depends on the region you apply from. Head office is working the caseload in conjunction with the recruiters overall capacity in the area.
I presume NCR has a large amount of applications compared to other parts of the province.
I confirmed this information from the OPP-Hire phone line.

Patience is key :)
Have a wonderful weekend.

opp2

Postby opp2 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:25 pm

ubique89 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm
Just for anyone who is wondering; the file numbers are not being worked as they are received. It depends on the region you apply from. Head office is working the caseload in conjunction with the recruiters overall capacity in the area.
I presume NCR has a large amount of applications compared to other parts of the province.

NCR?

do you mean NWR NER or Central? not trying to be a stickler... Central Region does not get a large number of applicants if that is what you mean. HSD gets the most simply due to population density. And that may have changed since my time in staffing.

allinthegame
Rookie Member

Postby allinthegame » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:36 pm

opp2 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:25 pm
ubique89 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:31 pm

NCR?

do you mean NWR NER or Central? not trying to be a stickler... Central Region does not get a large number of applicants if that is what you mean. HSD gets the most simply due to population density. And that may have changed since my time in staffing.
NCR as in National Capital Region, meaning East Region I assume. I'm in East Region, located in Ottawa specifically. Submitted my application Feb 10, received a file number 10 days later, but nothing since, although they are quick to acknowledge any updates I submit.

ubique89
Rookie Member

Postby ubique89 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:42 pm

My apologies, NCR is Ottawa and the surrounding area. The information relayed was that this is a popular area for applications and as such, receiving file numbers is a slower process.

opp2

Postby opp2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:44 am

Thank you, this isn't a term I've heard used before.

HonorInfinite
Rookie Member

Postby HonorInfinite » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:59 pm

Finally got the LFI call this past week. Patience will be rewarded. It will come sooner or later!
OPP APPLICATION:
Applied: January, 15, 2019
File Number: January, 17, 2019
LFI & PBQ: March, 13, 2019

Tuzi
Rookie Member

Postby Tuzi » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm

Has everyone who passed the LFI written the SIGMA exam or scheduled to write it? Also what is the passing mark/percentage?
O.P.P.
Applied: Jan 1st
File #: Jan 3rd
LFI/PBQ email: Feb 13th
LFI/PBQ: March 15th

CBSA
Applied: Jan 25th
OTEE: Mar 11th

MissA2189
Rookie Member

Postby MissA2189 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Tuzi wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:29 pm
Has everyone who passed the LFI written the SIGMA exam or scheduled to write it? Also what is the passing mark/percentage?
Scheduled to write mine within the next few weeks. Got the scheduling call about a week after the interview results email
Correctional Officer

OPP Application
Submitted: January 1 2019
File Number Assigned: January 2 2019
LFI Package: January 9 2019
LFI: January 30 2019
LFI Passed: February 8 2019

bug200
Rookie Member

Postby bug200 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am

So regarding fitness log. I just want to understand it. So you submit it on your first application and then only during your background investigation after you completed the interview process?

Thank you

allinthegame
Rookie Member

Postby allinthegame » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:38 pm

bug200 wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:08 am
So regarding fitness log. I just want to understand it. So you submit it on your first application and then only during your background investigation after you completed the interview process?

Thank you
From what I gathered, you’re supposed to bring all of your fitness logs to your interview, and if successful in the interview stage, submit them on a bi-weekly basis thereafter.

bug200
Rookie Member

Postby bug200 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Thank you for the update.