OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
SElizabeth84
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby SElizabeth84 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Congrats Jones87!!!

multisync
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:04 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby multisync » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm

Not sure if anyone has any answers to this, however I've been in post-secondary schooling for the last 8 years with 2 undergrads, a post grad, and a masters which I'm just finishing. I've always had a bit of a knack for policing and did a fair bit of volunteering during my under grad years. On top of that I presently work for one of the big banks in Canada as a software developer. Outside of my regular work I serve as naval officer with the reserves. Would the OPP hold my recent lack of volunteer experience against me, or would my schooling make up for this as that was my primary focus.

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.

mrtinfoilman
Regular Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:49 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby mrtinfoilman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:28 pm

multisync wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:48 pm
Not sure if anyone has any answers to this, however I've been in post-secondary schooling for the last 8 years with 2 undergrads, a post grad, and a masters which I'm just finishing. I've always had a bit of a knack for policing and did a fair bit of volunteering during my under grad years. On top of that I presently work for one of the big banks in Canada as a software developer. Outside of my regular work I serve as naval officer with the reserves. Would the OPP hold my recent lack of volunteer experience against me, or would my schooling make up for this as that was my primary focus.

Any thoughts / advice would be greatly appreciated.
No. Submit your application and focus on your fitness. You're good to go. They will ask if you have volunteered, but just tell them you have been a post-secondary student and have been preoccupied with other responsibilities.

I am a recent undergrad graduate doing a post grad currently, with a bit of volunteer hours under my belt and was told to re-apply next year for the OPP.

Good luck
Last edited by mrtinfoilman on Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birddy12
Rookie Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:40 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby birddy12 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:59 am

Jones87 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:47 pm
Received the call today! I’ll be reporting to January intake! Don’t lose hope yet if you are close, anything can happen!
So amazing! Congrats!

SElizabeth84
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby SElizabeth84 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 am

It is great that you guys went after your studies so hard. I admire that a lot.

I have a 4-year undergrad and wanted to keep going, but I have to put those ambitions aside to work full-time. I’m also a parent of two boys so I have to be a provider.

I have also been a volunteer with HRPS VSU for about 4 years. I have been on countless calls and seen the worst tragedies. My experiences have been so important for both my personal and professional development.

That said, the reason I have had so much experience with VSU is that I was able to volunteer, almost full-time hours, when I wasn’t working while completing my degree. Financially, that had an impact; yes, I have a lot of volunteering and learning, but my debt and lack of work history in the past few years is definitely not a positive for me.

birddy12
Rookie Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:40 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby birddy12 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:33 am

SElizabeth84 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 am
It is great that you guys went after your studies so hard. I admire that a lot.

I have a 4-year undergrad and wanted to keep going, but I have to put those ambitions aside to work full-time. I’m also a parent of two boys so I have to be a provider.

I have also been a volunteer with HRPS VSU for about 4 years. I have been on countless calls and seen the worst tragedies. My experiences have been so important for both my personal and professional development.

That said, the reason I have had so much experience with VSU is that I was able to volunteer, almost full-time hours, when I wasn’t working while completing my degree. Financially, that had an impact; yes, I have a lot of volunteering and learning, but my debt and lack of work history in the past few years is definitely not a positive for me.
Don't quote me, but I would look at how you manage your debt.... example: do you use one credit card to pay another? You sound like you have a lot to contribute to the profession :)

SElizabeth84
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:05 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby SElizabeth84 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:34 am

birddy12 wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:33 am

Don't quote me, but I would look at how you manage your debt.... example: do you use one credit card to pay another? You sound like you have a lot to contribute to the profession :)
I am quoting you!! Ha

I probably don’t manage my debt as well as I could. My only plan is really just paying things down, working, and budgeting. That’s all I’ve been doing the past year. Less VSU time now though. :(

I guess I wanted to bring up my situation b/c I think we all have strengths and weaknesses as applicants. Example: While my volunteering is strong, my finances aren’t so much.

Timmus97
Rookie Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:42 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Timmus97 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:58 pm

stribor45 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:21 pm
Timmus97 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:10 am
SElizabeth84 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:35 am
I wish I could help pjm3586! I don’t feel I have a lot of insight into the process as of yet.

Anyone else waiting to hear back from OPP? Still nothing from my LFI on Dec. 11th with a weekend in between. If I don’t make the cut I just gotta keep improving myself, I know.

I was practicing the PREP at Mohawk last Saturday and heard there is big news coming out about the OACP selection process. I wonder what role ATS will play? Check the link: https://twitter.com/policefit/status/12 ... 3619879937
My wait to hear back if I passed the LFI was over a month. It's not fun, but I'm sure you've heard the phrase "No news is good news"
Hi Timmus97

I was wondering if your application was in Final Review and if so what did it entail? Do you receive letter/email about passing this stage? Maybe someone else who recently got the call can comment as well.

Any information/comment would be greatly appreciated.
After writing my Psych/sigma tests, I didn't hear anything until I got the call. It moved very quickly after the tests for me though. It could be different for other applicants.
My OPP Process
Applied: July 31
File #: August 8
LFI Invitation: August 22
PBQ/LFI: September 11
LFI results/BGI started: October 30
Home Interview: November 7
Medical: November 8
Psych/SIGMA: November 14
The Call: November 28

Badger9518
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:18 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Badger9518 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:28 pm

I haven’t been called in yet for my LFI/PBQ yet and I applied last month, should I be worried? I feel like I have met all the requirements with continuous volunteering, employments, and even a 6 month internship with OPP detachment in Caledon

Timmus97
Rookie Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:42 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Timmus97 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:23 pm

Badger9518 wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:28 pm
I haven’t been called in yet for my LFI/PBQ yet and I applied last month, should I be worried? I feel like I have met all the requirements with continuous volunteering, employments, and even a 6 month internship with OPP detachment in Caledon
No news is good news! Everyone's timeline is different. The process is filled with uncertainty throughout. I wouldn't be worried.
My OPP Process
Applied: July 31
File #: August 8
LFI Invitation: August 22
PBQ/LFI: September 11
LFI results/BGI started: October 30
Home Interview: November 7
Medical: November 8
Psych/SIGMA: November 14
The Call: November 28

User avatar
ani89
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:53 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby ani89 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:05 am

Hi guys, first time posting on the Opp thread,.

I'm an out province future applicant.
Question i wanna ask for the applicants in the process

Is there a written exam ?
What's the sigma ? ( is it the Saskatchewan exam )
RCMP - MB
———
- Applied 10.2018
- ESL cleared:05.2019
- SP Sent:08.2019
- RMAQ:
- PEP:
- BGI:
- Med/psych
- Med/psych Cleared:
- SC :
-Troop

ontca
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby ontca » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:10 pm

Hello fellow applicants

I am in the process of preparing my application for OPP.

I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to get my OACP certificate on Dec15 ATS testing but that's to be seen (so far so good). I know COR is not mandatory for OPP but I wanted the COR as my personal satisfaction/milestone as I was in a very bad shape when it came to fitness when I started the journey two and a half years ago.

I have worked in IT throughout my life (10 years). How did you translate your work experience for the resume for OPP?

What items did you mention in your cover letter and what was the format/style you followed?

For reference letters, what should it contain? I asked a couple of people and places I volunteer who are more than happy to write the letter but need pointers so that it is helps me the most and not come off as generic. None of them have ever written a letter for a potential police force applicant. I am trying to stay away from the letters and the references as much as possible as I do not want to introduce my bias or wording into the letters, hence coming here for suggestions on where to point them.

Any other tips you might have or lessons learned? I hope I can do the same someday.

Thanks and Happy New Year.

aabb
Rookie Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:00 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby aabb » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Hi. First post here. On Dec 30 the pre-reqs on the OPPs website were updated. The new addition is the following:

"Successful completion of the pre-screening phase of the Police Applicant Safety and Success (PASS) assessment, consisting of the PREP standard Level 7 on the Leger 20m Shuttle Run."

So what exactly is this? Are they asking for OACP certificate? Or just the shuttle portion of the PREP? Thanks in advance.

mrtinfoilman
Regular Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:49 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby mrtinfoilman » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 pm

aabb wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:31 pm
Hi. First post here. On Dec 30 the pre-reqs on the OPPs website were updated. The new addition is the following:

"Successful completion of the pre-screening phase of the Police Applicant Safety and Success (PASS) assessment, consisting of the PREP standard Level 7 on the Leger 20m Shuttle Run."

So what exactly is this? Are they asking for OACP certificate? Or just the shuttle portion of the PREP? Thanks in advance.
Get lvl 7 on PREP

ontca
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby ontca » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 pm

I know OPP requires us to list all the jobs we have had in the application. Do we need to list all the jobs in the resume as well?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Canadianpatriot, SemrushBot and 5 guests