OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Cosmo

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Cosmo » Fri May 10, 2019 2:09 pm

Wheels28 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 7:21 am
I don’t think other applications hinder yourself for OPP. I applied in Oct 2017 and completed the process by January 2018. I applied to CKPS in December 2017 because their application only opened once a year at that time.

I then got to background phase of CKPS when my offer from OPP came in.

I would say don’t take on more than you can handle, but application shouldn’t hurt you. Don’t go applying to 10 services at once, but having 2 or 3 on the go makes sense to me. As long as you can sufficiently prepare for them.

This of course is only my opinion, and as I always like to disclaim: I am not a recruiter.

Good luck
Thank you for this, I have spoke to alot of police officers who have told me the exact same thing. I will definitely keep that in mind.
OPP
Applied: Jan 19'
LFI: March 19'
BGI/Medical: April 19'
Home interview: April 19'
Psych/Sigma: April 19'

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:00 pm

Wheels28 wrote:
I don’t think other applications hinder yourself for OPP. I applied in Oct 2017 and completed the process by January 2018. I applied to CKPS in December 2017 because their application only opened once a year at that time.

I would say don’t take on more than you can handle, but application shouldn’t hurt you. Don’t go applying to 10 services at once, but having 2 or 3 on the go makes sense to me. As long as you can sufficiently prepare for them.

This of course is only my opinion, and as I always like to disclaim: I am not a recruiter.

Good luck
They don't hinder you; however, if you're near the end of the process with a service and then throw an application in with another (From the beginning) how do you think that looks? Not very good. If you applied to a few at the same time, then it's different.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:00 pm
Wheels28 wrote:

Good luck
They don't hinder you; however, if you're near the end of the process with a service and then throw an application in with another (From the beginning) how do you think that looks? Not very good. If you applied to a few at the same time, then it's different.
Very true, it makes it look like I am not interested/would rather work for another service. Totally see where you are coming from. That's why I will hang in there and just wait for either a phone call or a letter.
OPP

Slovak4188
Veteran Member

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:
Wheels28 wrote:

Good luck
Very true, it makes it look like I am not interested/would rather work for another service. Totally see where you are coming from. That's why I will hang in there and just wait for either a phone call or a letter.
Trust me when I tell you, as far as this job goes, I find OPP officers are generally much happier than the rest of the services. OPP is a really good organization to work for, especially if you're a smaller-town kind of person.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Fri May 10, 2019 9:18 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 6:38 pm
Cosmo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:32 pm
Slovak4188 wrote:

Trust me when I tell you, as far as this job goes, I find OPP officers are generally much happier than the rest of the services. OPP is a really good organization to work for, especially if you're a smaller-town kind of person.
OPP is my number one pick for many different reasons and that being one of them. I've heard that from alot of different officers from a variety of services. It's great to hear, I am certainly a small town kind of person as well.
OPP

Wheels28

Postby Wheels28 » Fri May 10, 2019 11:44 pm

I too love where I ended up (Elgin County OPP) and wouldn't change it. It's a great culture where I am, even as a rookie.

stribor45
Veteran Member

Postby stribor45 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:57 pm

I have question and hopefully someone can answer.

I noticed that in Personal History Form in some questions you need a date which is fine since at home I have all my documents. Are there any questions in PBQ that would need a dates as well? If so are approximate dates ok since you might not be able to recall exact dates.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Cosmo

Postby Cosmo » Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am

Looking for some insight. Do you guys think that due to the budget cut with the OPP, the class sizes will be affected? How do you think this will effect the recruitment process?
OPP

Code Tree
Rookie Member

Postby Code Tree » Tue May 14, 2019 7:28 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am
Looking for some insight. Do you guys think that due to the budget cut with the OPP, the class sizes will be affected? How do you think this will effect the recruitment process?
I wouldn't focus on that, as you can't change anything that they decide on to meet those cuts. Rumours are flying around as they always do, and you have to take them with a grain of salt. For example, the last class was rumoured to be 25 officers. It was 58.

Focus on being the best candidate that you can be, and don't put all your eggs in one basket.
"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus
"In the end, integrity is all you've got" - PPA Instructor

snap_a_do
Rookie Member

Postby snap_a_do » Tue May 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 10:54 am
Fooled me. Had no idea there was a budget cut as they recently got rid of the COR test to attract more candidates and heavily promoting the OPP with the huge amount of info sessions going on.