OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
sean_bee
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby sean_bee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

Hi guys, just a quick question.

If you're denied from the RCMP are you unable to apply to the OPP?
Specifically if you fail the Polygraph? I haven't gotten my results yet, but I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

Slovak4188
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:32 pm

sean_bee wrote:Hi guys, just a quick question.

If you're denied from the RCMP are you unable to apply to the OPP?
Specifically if you fail the Polygraph? I haven't gotten my results yet, but I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

No. RCMP is its own entity. They do not affect any provincial or municipal services' applications.

With that being said, even though the provincial/municipal services don't do the polygraph for the most part, they will probably call the RCMP and ask why you failed it.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

jossboss
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:39 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby jossboss » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:52 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
sean_bee wrote:Hi guys, just a quick question.

If you're denied from the RCMP are you unable to apply to the OPP?
Specifically if you fail the Polygraph? I haven't gotten my results yet, but I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

No. RCMP is its own entity. They do not affect any provincial or municipal services' applications.

With that being said, even though the provincial/municipal services don't do the polygraph for the most part, they will probably call the RCMP and ask why you failed it.


Hey Slovak. I was told otherwise by a recruiter, in a recruiting session. She stated that, with failure of the polygraph, you will be denied for any police force in Canada. That was about 2 years ago tho.
Ont App
App: Jan 2017
SP: Apr 2017
SP Rev: Jun 2017
RMAQ: Aug 2017
PEP: Dec 2017
PEP Follow: Feb 2018
PEP Rec: Feb 2018
BGI: Mar 2018
Psych: April 2018
Medical: Apr 2018
Psych Follow: May 2018
FR: Jul 2018
Med Rec: July 2018
SC: Pending
Troop: Pending SC

sean_bee
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby sean_bee » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:04 pm

jossboss wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:
sean_bee wrote:Hi guys, just a quick question.

If you're denied from the RCMP are you unable to apply to the OPP?
Specifically if you fail the Polygraph? I haven't gotten my results yet, but I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

No. RCMP is its own entity. They do not affect any provincial or municipal services' applications.

With that being said, even though the provincial/municipal services don't do the polygraph for the most part, they will probably call the RCMP and ask why you failed it.


Hey Slovak. I was told otherwise by a recruiter, in a recruiting session. She stated that, with failure of the polygraph, you will be denied for any police force in Canada. That was about 2 years ago tho.


I've heard multiple statements from different people so far regarding this.
Infact one of my friends even went for the OPP first to avoid potentially failing a Polygraph test and having it effect him later on.

If anyone has a confirmed answer thatd be great.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Slovak4188 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:08 pm

jossboss wrote:
Slovak4188 wrote:
sean_bee wrote:Hi guys, just a quick question.

If you're denied from the RCMP are you unable to apply to the OPP?
Specifically if you fail the Polygraph? I haven't gotten my results yet, but I'm just being cautious.

Thanks

No. RCMP is its own entity. They do not affect any provincial or municipal services' applications.

With that being said, even though the provincial/municipal services don't do the polygraph for the most part, they will probably call the RCMP and ask why you failed it.


Hey Slovak. I was told otherwise by a recruiter, in a recruiting session. She stated that, with failure of the polygraph, you will be denied for any police force in Canada. That was about 2 years ago tho.


Was this an RCMP recruiter? Why would the OPP deny you for a failed polygraph if no one else uses that method....
"Hard truths cut both ways"

User avatar
MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:52 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby MasterPlanMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:47 pm

By "failing" the poly do you mean that you admitted to lying about some aspect of your application or background? Or did you "fail" because they suspected you lied? Did you have new, large and important admissions that you only "remembered" during the poly? This is usually what causes issue, and by their very nature would cause you issue with another process. If you lied to that Police service, why should I suspect you're being truthful to mine? If you lied about this aspect of your life, or omitted important information about that aspect of your life, then how do I know you're not lying, omitting or minimizing everything else?

Not to mention you only come clean when you feel you're about to get caught during the poly.

Anyways, this should show you how "failing" a poly for one service will lead to issues with another service even when they don't use the poly. It's no different then lying to a BGI about anything else in any other setting.

Also Slovak, plenty of municipal services outside of Ontario use the poly during the process. Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver are big ones.

Slovak4188
Rookie Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Slovak4188 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:57 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:By "failing" the poly do you mean that you admitted to lying about some aspect of your application or background? Or did you "fail" because they suspected you lied? Did you have new, large and important admissions that you only "remembered" during the poly? This is usually what causes issue, and by their very nature would cause you issue with another process. If you lied to that Police service, why should I suspect you're being truthful to mine? If you lied about this aspect of your life, or omitted important information about that aspect of your life, then how do I know you're not lying, omitting or minimizing everything else?

Not to mention you only come clean when you feel you're about to get caught during the poly.

Anyways, this should show you how "failing" a poly for one service will lead to issues with another service even when they don't use the poly. It's no different then lying to a BGI about anything else in any other setting.

Also Slovak, plenty of municipal services outside of Ontario use the poly during the process. Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver are big ones.


Good to know. I can only speak for the large ontario services and my service specifically. I'm befuddled as to why the others still do, but to each their own.
"Hard truths cut both ways"

User avatar
MasterPlanMan
Rookie Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:52 am
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby MasterPlanMan » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Slovak4188 wrote:
MasterPlanMan wrote:By "failing" the poly do you mean that you admitted to lying about some aspect of your application or background? Or did you "fail" because they suspected you lied? Did you have new, large and important admissions that you only "remembered" during the poly? This is usually what causes issue, and by their very nature would cause you issue with another process. If you lied to that Police service, why should I suspect you're being truthful to mine? If you lied about this aspect of your life, or omitted important information about that aspect of your life, then how do I know you're not lying, omitting or minimizing everything else?

Not to mention you only come clean when you feel you're about to get caught during the poly.

Anyways, this should show you how "failing" a poly for one service will lead to issues with another service even when they don't use the poly. It's no different then lying to a BGI about anything else in any other setting.

Also Slovak, plenty of municipal services outside of Ontario use the poly during the process. Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver are big ones.


Good to know. I can only speak for the large ontario services and my service specifically. I'm befuddled as to why the others still do, but to each their own.


Pretty much for the reason you see here, where people suddenly grow a conscience and tell the truth but only when they get hooked up to the machine and feel they will be caught. Voodoo science it may be but it certainly gets results, just not in the way you'd think.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/23/16511732/border-patrol-polygraph-trump-boots-on-border

sean_bee
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:30 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby sean_bee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:07 pm

MasterPlanMan wrote:By "failing" the poly do you mean that you admitted to lying about some aspect of your application or background? Or did you "fail" because they suspected you lied? Did you have new, large and important admissions that you only "remembered" during the poly? This is usually what causes issue, and by their very nature would cause you issue with another process. If you lied to that Police service, why should I suspect you're being truthful to mine? If you lied about this aspect of your life, or omitted important information about that aspect of your life, then how do I know you're not lying, omitting or minimizing everything else?

Not to mention you only come clean when you feel you're about to get caught during the poly.

Anyways, this should show you how "failing" a poly for one service will lead to issues with another service even when they don't use the poly. It's no different then lying to a BGI about anything else in any other setting.

Also Slovak, plenty of municipal services outside of Ontario use the poly during the process. Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver are big ones.



I don't know my results and no I didn't lie.
I'm just curious as to the process incase I do fail.

euroman21
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:36 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby euroman21 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:20 pm

Has anyone in the hiring process received a call for the April PPA / May OPC intake?

Wheels28
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Wheels28 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 pm

euroman21 wrote:Has anyone in the hiring process received a call for the April PPA / May OPC intake?


Not yet. My file was completed after psych on January 4th and I’ve been waiting since then. Taking this time to really ramp up my fitness as I await the final decision.

Philosorunner
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:01 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Philosorunner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am

Wheels28 wrote:
euroman21 wrote:Has anyone in the hiring process received a call for the April PPA / May OPC intake?


Not yet. My file was completed after psych on January 4th and I’ve been waiting since then. Taking this time to really ramp up my fitness as I await the final decision.


How many days/week are you running/lifting/whatever else right now?

Wheels28
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Wheels28 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:39 am

My current weekly routine includes 3 runs (2.4km, 5km, and 10km), plus strength training three times a week for about 45 minutes. I also run a couple youth groups every week which sometimes includes some physical activity. How about for yourself?

Philosorunner
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:01 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Philosorunner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:17 pm

Wheels28 wrote:My current weekly routine includes 3 runs (2.4km, 5km, and 10km), plus strength training three times a week for about 45 minutes. I also run a couple youth groups every week which sometimes includes some physical activity. How about for yourself?


Running 4-5x/week (5k-6k x2, 2 interval training days, 1 long run 10-12k); powerlifting 3x/week with core work, and often a 4th day doing bodyweight stuff at home for conditioning (pullups, pushups, core). Feeling pretty uncertain after having LFI last Wednesday, but if it's a deferral, then I've already begun my 1-year quest to improve my suitability.

Wheels28
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 11:31 pm
Contact:

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Wheels28 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:16 pm

Sounds like you've got the fitness portion covered well! Good luck with the rest of the process. Don't count yourself out by any means. My notice that I passed the LFI took a couple weeks to come in. Good perspective to have if a deferral does happen though.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Lospollos, Oli123, Tunafish and 12 guests