OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Lights
Seasoned Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Lights » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:16 am

aharddaysnight wrote:I am painfully aware that Chris Kringle does not exist, and that the world is not full of sunshine, lollipops and rainbows. I am optimistic but certainly not to the point of being delusional. Optimism has helped me achieve my goals, and will be a characteristic that I hope not to loose no matter what field I end up in. Easier said than done if I will be hanging out with people who smell like deep-fried cigarettes and ass all the time (From what I have seen in my shadowing experiences; a very accurate description).

@meathead1: Critical feedback is sometimes the best type of feedback, I've learned not to take things personally. Especially in an online forum such as this, as you have described.

In any case, this has been a good exercise in reflective learning. I'm taking away some great information, and I do sincerely appreciate the insight! In hindsight, I should have read more thoroughly before posting and have successfully derailed this thread. For that I apologize.

The santa thing was meant for JMCOTT cause he seems like he wants people to tell him what he wants to hear or loves sugar coating stuff that just needs to be told how it is. Trying to sound like a smart ass too my fellow coppers that have jumped threw the hoops to get where we are doesn't win any cookies here.

You seem like a smart fellow. Take what we are saying as advice. Its harsh yes, but at the end of the day, its fact. Policing at times can be cold and harsh, but there is no sense of giving false hope to people like JMCOTT likes to do.
Last edited by Lights on Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:17 am

recceguy wrote:
Lights wrote:and yes santa is fake just so you know.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

You're a monster

I know I'm an ass but meh lol you still love me lol
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:20 pm

Lights wrote:
recceguy wrote:
Lights wrote:and yes santa is fake just so you know.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK

You're a monster

I know I'm an ass but meh lol you still love me lol

Truth
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

JMCOTT
Rookie Member

Postby JMCOTT » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:02 pm

It's touché, not touchy....look it up. So quick to assume I that I oppose your comments Lights tsk tsk... just like you're quick to assume I am a guy. wrong again Sir. I hope that's not the mentality you use/hope to use while policing..... *sigh* sometimes I don't know whether to laugh at you or just pity you.

TheFNG
Rookie Member

Postby TheFNG » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:05 pm

Its your 6th post and you decide to take a shot at a PC that is willing to answer recruit questions. Good luck with that approach. :boxer:

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:04 am

JMCOTT wrote:It's touché, not touchy....look it up. So quick to assume I that I oppose your comments Lights tsk tsk... just like you're quick to assume I am a guy. wrong again Sir. I hope that's not the mentality you use/hope to use while policing..... *sigh* sometimes I don't know whether to laugh at you or just pity you.

Being that he has the job you're working so hard to get......I'd pity him for sure.
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

xmber
Veteran Member

Postby xmber » Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:16 pm

JMCOTT wrote:It's touché, not touchy....look it up. So quick to assume I that I oppose your comments Lights tsk tsk... just like you're quick to assume I am a guy. wrong again Sir. I hope that's not the mentality you use/hope to use while policing..... *sigh* sometimes I don't know whether to laugh at you or just pity you.

Sounds like somone is touchy ... Oh, SNAP!

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am

Oh my....
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:39 pm

1) What I use at work and in life is common sence, something that has been left out of that big head of yours.

2) You should pity me, I deal with donkeys like you everyday, and now you make the list of one of the donkeys that want to get on the job.
Last edited by Lights on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

POLICE OFFICER

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:18 pm

Lights wrote:
1) What I use at work and in life is common sence........

That's not what I heard :P lol

As for helping decent applicants with legitimate questions blah blah blah. There is really no value in coming here with recruiting questions at all. A place to share ones process? Sure that works. But everything has been asked and answered at least a dozen times if not two dozen. If something comes up we always end up saying check with recruiting. Why? Because none of us are recruiters or senior managers with answers to the questions. Pretty much all there is to it.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:15 pm

basketcase wrote:
Lights wrote:

As for helping decent applicants with legitimate questions blah blah blah. There is really no value in coming here with recruiting questions at all. A place to share ones process? Sure that works. But everything has been asked and answered at least a dozen times if not two dozen. If something comes up we always end up saying check with recruiting. Why? Because none of us are recruiters or senior managers with answers to the questions. Pretty much all there is to it.

Hey hey lol

and +1 to what you said.

POLICE OFFICER

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:54 am

basketcase wrote:
Lights wrote:

This is true of a lot of forums. I am part of a shopping forum, and a fitness forum and for the most part, anything asked now could have been answered with the search button.

In terms of FAQm think this would be a decent on here

What courses should I take in college? Aquaculture. But seriously, take something you will like as a career. Take something that interests you so much, that your plan B could be your plan A. (I don't feel bad letting people in on the aquaculture joke, as the only ones who will read this are already serving.)

[b]I did X, can I still get on? [/b] Either apply and ask, OR don't apply no one wants to ride with you.

Am I too old? Apply, and find out, just be prepared to work weekends, and shift work and chasing down people.

Am I too young? Apply, let them make that call.

My friend... Its not your friend....

I applied an hour ago, how long til I am in Depot/OPC etc? Every process is different.

Does this sum up 90% of the applicant thread?
K division.

CFO580
Rookie Member

Postby CFO580 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:45 pm

As a random fact, reading a full 342 pages of a thread is just ridiculous. I made it to when Loadie was still in the recruiting process in 2008 and then gave up for now (for now). :dubious:

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 pm

To be honest I read the entire thread before I was hired lol.
Proud to Serve