OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby basketcase » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:38 pm

Well I'm glad somebody told this retard....I mean recruit that we don't fucken have homicide sgts. Second of all, not many homicide sgts or cib sgts anywhere would know about recruiting. They'd be too busy with other stuff. Deferred and the only reason you can think of is being dismissed from a job? Care to share why you were fired?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:47 pm

I would like to apologize for my comments that were directed at Toonces and the other posters. After re-reading my post from this morning and the comments from the fellow posters that followed, I was truly incorrect in my assessment of the comments that were provided.

There isn`t an excuse for the comments I used.

recceguy
Seasoned Member

Postby recceguy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Ahh yes the age old backtrack after one realizes recruiting looks at your posts.

Priceless
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Too funny
Proud to Serve

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:14 am

For those who are hired but didn't get in "on the first kick of the can" where do you think you went wrong the first time and how did you go about fixing it?

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:10 am

spooky wrote:For those who are hired but didn't get in "on the first kick of the can" where do you think you went wrong the first time and how did you go about fixing it?

I took some time and evaluated my strengths and weaknesses. I took the rest of my deferral period to increase my education on several fronts, as well as work on my weaknesses. I applied a second time, sat in the pool for almost two years because budgets kept class sizes small, and got the call right before having to reapply a third time.

Unfortunately I lack a phd though, guess I'm fucked.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:23 am

I used my time by taking part-time courses, volunteering more, and working out more. I kept a log of my volunteering and workouts, so I had something to show my interviewer. I also worked on my interviewing skills.

I don't have a degree. It's not completely necessary to have one. I certainly recommend against police foundations. You know what they want? Technical skills. Be computer savvy. Don't just know your way around word processing, but computers in general. That will take you far, not only in the recruiting process, but on the job.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Josh_V
Rookie Member

Postby Josh_V » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:19 pm

Toonces wrote:I certainly recommend against police foundations. You know what they want? Technical skills. Be computer savvy. Don't just know your way around word processing, but computers in general. That will take you far, not only in the recruiting process, but on the job.

+1. I tell this to everyone applying. I had an education in mechanical engineering and 5+ years working in that field, without an ounce of police related experience, and I think that put me ahead of the leagues of recruits who only had a PF diploma to offer. Not to mention I was older than most recruits, with kids and a family and the life experience that goes along with that (something that Recruit13 does not seem to possess)

There is also the fact that this might not work out for everyone, and it's better to have an valuable education to fall back on instead of having to do mall security for the rest of your life with your limiting PF diploma...

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:09 am

I took PF. I also have a degree in business management / marketing and have worked in the IT sector for years. The main reason I took PF was because I'm not a citizen of Canada. I'm here as a Permanent Resident and, as such, wanted to get a background in the Canadian legal system. PF also allowed me to do a few ride alongs with the OPP which was an awesome experience. Overall, I think PF is worth it but you need to do a lot more work otherwise.

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:26 pm

You can't really say PF was worth it, until you get on the job.
Proud to Serve

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Anyone can get a background in the Canadian justice system by taking one college course, they don't have to take an entire program.

Furthermore, they literally spoonfeed you everything you need to know at OPC.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:20 pm

Absolutely. I wanted to learn everything I could about it before I applied though. PF also gave me the opportunity to see the job first hand which was very eye opening. PF alone is a waste but PF on top of everything else has given me more confidence in my decision to pursue Policing as a career.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:55 pm

It's a waste regardless of your background.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:10 pm

"Yeah, that's your opinion"

I was happy with what I got out of it. Need to keep working on keeping myself marketable though. Not even Auxiliary is hiring right now.

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 pm

However PF is a prerequisite for most major mall security positions. So I guess it has some value........
Proud to Serve