OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
lox456
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby lox456 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:40 pm

An application issue would still not explain a years deferral.
Proud to Serve

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:05 am

Why not? If a person can't follow simple, written instructions they are most definitely not suitable for the job.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:33 am

I spoke to the homicide Sgt, and he said, there is no budget anywhere in Ontario. All municipal departments are broke which has been shown with Toronto scrapping everything except their 80 from December and Hamilton not getting their requested budget increases. So as far as he can see it is based off of the budget.

So thread posters saying it is something about me personally knock it off, that is a complete and utter asshole move. You don't know me and I don't know you. The Sgt from the O.P.P. knows more about me then you do. I have never done drugs, I have never been arrested, I have never had an interaction with the Police unless it was assisting in an arrest of some kind at the work I have done and handing it off to police. So unless one of you are an esteemed O.P.P. officer that is more in the know then the Sgt or work in the recruitment department and know for a fact it is not the budget, then please don't bother responding to my posts.

And I put my application in correctly, if I did not put my application in properly they would not have accepted the application in the first place. Says so right on the O.P.P. website.

So therefore, as the O.P.P. Sgt said they are getting highly qualified people (Masters and PhD people) besides Police foundations and Laterals and they don't have a budget just like any of the other Ontario police forces I will take his advice and upgrade all my skills, and have a professional resume reviewer take a look on how my application looks before I reapply.

And you Toonces, don't you even come with such comments that I am not suitable for the job. What an asshole comment on your part. Compared to some officers that reach the media in a bad light across the country, I have always wanted and am qualified to be a Police constable in Canada. If it is with the O.P.P. great, if it is with another service great.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:38 am

Out of all so far posting in the last few posts who has been professional and helpful is the other applicant spooky. Hopefully he does well in the application process.

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:02 am

I think you just disrespected four OPP officers.

Never ask questions if you are not prepared for the answers.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:58 am

26point2 wrote:I think you just disrespected four OPP officers.

Never ask questions if you are not prepared for the answers.

Wise man.
K division.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:22 am

Recruit13 wrote:...And you Toonces, don't you even come with such comments that I am not suitable for the job. What an asshole comment on your part. Compared to some officers that reach the media in a bad light across the country, I have always wanted and am qualified to be a Police constable in Canada. If it is with the O.P.P. great, if it is with another service great.
Hey Spanky, here's a newsflash - Toonces is on the job. You come across as a spoiled, self-entitled kid with an over-inflated opinion of your superiority.

And apparently you're not qualified if you got deferred.

At least you've got your M.O.E. and Corrections applications to fall back on.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:55 am

Actually, what I said was, "if a person can't follow simple, written instructions, then they are most definitely not suitable for the job."

Not once did I mention you, Recruit13. I didn't say you didn't fill out the application thoroughly, I didn't say you weren't qualified (although you certainly come across as a pouty, petulant, egotistical child). The post you referred to, I simply spoke to the scenario where an applicant in general did not fill out an application correctly.

Now would be a good time to mention that reading comprehension and critical thinking are also necessary for the job.

Furthermore, there is no "OPP Homicide Sgt.". If there is a Sgt. that investigates homicides, he or she belongs to CIB - Criminal Investigations Bureau, where there is more than homicides investigated. You're throwing around "homicide Sgt" like it lends you credibility, but you're shooting yourself in the foot. I've been involved with two homicide investigations, does that make me a "homicide Constable"?

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:27 am

I was watching this flame session unravel while at work. I just wanted to say, in Recruit13's defense, that the entire process is frustrating since we get absolutely no feedback on what specifically is in need of improvement. I'm crossing my fingers since I finally think I'm 99.9% ready to go through this process but I'm extremely passionate about getting accepted into the OPP. It's almost the only thing I can think about these days. If I get a letter saying I'm not good enough I'm going to be extremely upset. I can absolutely understand where Recruit13 is coming from. It's easy to get defensive when you're not sure why your dreams were set back by a year.

my $0.02.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:44 am

Been there, done that. I didn't get hired as a Cst. my first kick at the can. I didn't use it as an excuse to be impolite. I used it as my motivation to become better.

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Yeah, rejection sucks. Hopefully I've worked hard enough this past year or so -- I'm eligible to re-apply as of Wednesday.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Recruit13 wrote:I spoke to the homicide Sgt, and he said, there is no budget anywhere in Ontario. All municipal departments are broke which has been shown with Toronto scrapping everything except their 80 from December and Hamilton not getting their requested budget increases. So as far as he can see it is based off of the budget.

So thread posters saying it is something about me personally knock it off, that is a complete and utter asshole move. You don't know me and I don't know you. The Sgt from the O.P.P. knows more about me then you do.

And you Toonces, don't you even come with such comments that I am not suitable for the job. What an asshole comment on your part. Compared to some officers that reach the media in a bad light across the country, I have always wanted and am qualified to be a Police constable in Canada. If it is with the O.P.P. great, if it is with another service great

Are you kidding me? Are you 15 years old? Clearly you have an issue with maturity. Don’t come here and disrespect officers that are simply telling you how it is you brat.

The information you got is a little off, you got deferred because A) there is something that you forgot to tell them, and aren’t telling us, B) your simply not competitive enough compared to others. The budget only comes into consideration when people that have proved themselves and their maturity are getting selected for recruit classes.

Either way that’s too bad I didn’t get on my first try either. Suck it up and you owe Toonces and others an apology. I’m sure your so called Homicide Sgt will love to see how you’re interacting with us that are on the job. Way to shit the bed before you even get it :thumbsup:
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 pm

You're right-clearly, you're the best candidate for police constable to ever exist, and should be the next commissioner of the OPP. I mean, you put your application together, and you even know a Sgt in Homicide!!! What else is there?!?!?

News flash, Skippy: You got deferred. IT WASN'T BECAUSE OF THE BUDGET. Suck it up, princess. You come off as a spoiled brat who has never been told "no" before.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Well this homicide sergeant friend of his is right about one thing. We are getting a lot of guys with PhD's nowadays. Our office is full of them. In fact I don't think the OPP has hired one officer without a PhD in the past 4-5 years.

I plan on getting mine soon, just to keep up.

Our office is so edu-macated we don't even call them crown briefs anymore. They're crown dissertations now.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

el_prez
Grand Poobah

Postby el_prez » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:41 pm

Short answer, you got deferred. Suck it up and move on.

Be aware that if they ask about internet activity you will have to disclose this fun little internet conversation where you're arguing with cops. Bravo good sir. One way to NOT improve your next kick at the can is being in a flame war with guys and girls from the organization you're trying to be hired by.

Oh, and get a PhD.
"Did someone dial 9-1-holysh*t?!"