OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Recruit13
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Recruit13 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:20 am

I got that on the 1st, but on the 4th I got an actual O.P.P. recruiter send me an e-mail stating that they were processing my application at this time and that they would let me know if I was to move onto the next stage.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:43 pm

Well crap. I wonder if something went wrong with my application.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I don't know, hopefully not. I put in my application in as I know a Sgt who works Homicide who informed me that right now because of budgets the O.P.P. is only accepting transfers from other Police Services and persons with Police Foundations. I figuring that I am currently doing Police Foundations to apply but I just got a letter today from the Inspector of the Recruiting department that my application has been closed and deferred for one year on date of the letter.

My first question, with the O.A.C.P. Constable Application form would that constitute as a rejection by the O.P.P. and placed on that form for other Police Services to see? Or is it just viewed as a letter and not as an actual application?

Secondly, is it because of what the Sgt I know said, is the O.P.P. recruiting on the specifics of Lateral transfers and Police Foundations, or on the basis of the small amount of information I provided, is there something else that is in my application that would have had the O.P.P. send me that letter closing my application and deferring me for a year?

Spooky, maybe they are still processing yours as you meet whatever qualifications they are looking for.

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

All police services can see which services have deferred you, if that was your question. The opp is not only hiring those applicants with police foundations lol.
Proud to Serve

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Sorry to hear about your deferment. It's a comforting thought that they're spending more time on my application. I just hope they didn't drop it behind a desk or something 88)

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 pm

You will hear from them, give it time
Proud to Serve

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:21 am

Recruit13 wrote:I don't know, hopefully not. I put in my application in as I know a Sgt who works Homicide who informed me that right now because of budgets the O.P.P. is only accepting transfers from other Police Services and persons with Police Foundations. .

Ha! Don't believe everything you hear. That police foundations bit is sheer nonsense.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:02 am

My question actually is that even count as a deferment to put on an O.A.C.P. application form. I thought if you got to say, a written test, or an interview and failed that is what counts as a deferment, not your opening application?

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:15 am

You can be differed at any stage of the game. Also do you have your oacp certificate yet thought ats?
Proud to Serve

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:22 am

Yes, I got my C.O.R. certificate in January from ATS.

I'm disappointed, but I researched some of the old threads on Blue Line with other persons being deferred right out of the gate on the application. Hopefully, it is based off of budget and looking for specific requirements (laterals and other heavily qualified). Because I believe if they were actively looking with a "free" budget that I would be a good candidate as I have two University degrees, and have been employed as a Provincial Correctional Officer.

I will continue to improve myself by completing the Police Foundations program with Presidential Honours, I will continue to learn French so hopefully soon I will have an understanding of Canada's two official languages and hopefully depending on what the college chooses, get into a Paramedic program and start learning those skills that would be of assistance in a policing or a paramedic career.

Maybe, by the time next year rolls around, I will reapply if I haven't gotten hired on somewhere else and see where the O.P.P. application goes from there.

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:25 pm

The opp are constantly putting applicants through the process. Even though the budget is tight, I have not heard of any applicants being deferred for a year based on the budget.
Proud to Serve

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:55 pm

Exactly. They just put you in the pool for 2 years, don't hire you (because there's no money), then you start over again. You were deferred for a reason. Only you know that reason.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 pm

meathead1 wrote:Exactly. They just put you in the pool for 2 years, don't hire you (because there's no money), then you start over again. You were deferred for a reason. Only you know that reason.

What do you mean by "put you in the pool for 2 years"?

And no I don't know why I was deferred because all I did was put in my application and got a letter back "deferring" me if that is what it is called.

Because, I don't have anything in my history, the only thing I could see is I got dismissed from one job and that didn't even fit on the application form but I listed in my resume. I have never gotten a ticket, never had an accident, never done drugs, never gotten behind the wheel after drinking. I have gone to parties, and have gotten drunk but I have never acted stupid.

So, I will just go off of what previous forum threads have said and maybe it is just the O.P.P. because as far as I am aware, and that is coming from an O.P.P. recruiter which I cannot speak too, I will trust what the O.P.P Sgt who works Homicides knows, as I trust what he says.

Therefore, I will continue to upgrade myself and reapply and hopefully next year go deeper into the process, but if as I am upgrading myself another police service comes along it will be great.

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 pm

By pool he meant hiring pool. A group of applicants who have made it through the process and are currently in a pool of people who are eligible to be selected for hire.

Applicants are not deferred for budget reasons. If that were the case the opp would publicly announce that they will not be hiring much like Toronto ps did.

Only you and the recruitment department know why you were deferred.

I can assure you that police foundations will not be the instant fix to your applicant issues.

Good luck
Proud to Serve

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:43 am

Rookie, I think you may have made a mistake on the application. The application says to list all work experience and to use more pages if necessary. To have a job show up on your resume but not application looks like the application is incomplete, imo. As an example, my work history was 5 pages long. Work history on my resume was much shorter.

I can't imagine that'd cause a year deferral but who knows.