OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
GoWings
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby GoWings » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:43 pm

spooky wrote:I emailed the OPC registrar and received the following response:

Yes, that is correct. The intake was cancelled due to low enrollment; all positions that were allocated for the spring will be moved to the September intake if the service wishes.

So my question at this point... I'm planning on applying soon. Should I go ahead and apply or wait a few months? Would they keep hiring at the moment and just defer to the Fall OPC class or are Ontario Police Services on a hiring freeze?

Apply now. The process takes several months.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:20 pm

spooky wrote:I emailed the OPC registrar and received the following response:

Yes, that is correct. The intake was cancelled due to low enrollment; all positions that were allocated for the spring will be moved to the September intake if the service wishes.

So my question at this point... I'm planning on applying soon. Should I go ahead and apply or wait a few months? Would they keep hiring at the moment and just defer to the Fall OPC class or are Ontario Police Services on a hiring freeze?

Ok, let’s crawl, walk, and then run.

I don’t want to discourage anyone but let’s focus on getting an interview first, and then pass through the process. It’s not simply as easy to get hired like some people want to believe. Just ask the current applicants here. It takes people a couple tries or like my friend in TPS 15 yrs to get hired.

Police services select the best of the best in all stages of the process so focus more on submitting your application.

I’m sure the staff at OPC have more important things to do then to be bombarded by emails asking about something that you could find out easily here. You should be speaking to the recruiter of the service you wish to join.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

viewsonic
Rookie Member

Postby viewsonic » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi all:

I just have a question regarding applications. I am not an applicant myself, but my husband is. He has made it through to final review twice with OPP and then he gets the letter saying he was unsuccessful. Does anyone else have a similar situation happening to them?

I guess I'm just wondering why OPP is putting him through all the way to the end each time and then he doesn't get it. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

MR.PF07
Rookie Member

Postby MR.PF07 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:39 pm

viewsonic wrote:Hi all:

I just have a question regarding applications. I am not an applicant myself, but my husband is. He has made it through to final review twice with OPP and then he gets the letter saying he was unsuccessful. Does anyone else have a similar situation happening to them?

I guess I'm just wondering why OPP is putting him through all the way to the end each time and then he doesn't get it. Any help would be great.

Thanks!

Your husband's qualifications after final review are weighed against those of others in the job pool. So even though he has been successful at every stage and is eligible to be hired for some reason he is not as strong as others in the job pool, and unfortunately with the limited number of spots currently being available the competition is TOUGH!

I feel for people like your husband because I'm sure he has what it takes to be a successful officer, but right now he is likely a victim of the numbers game.

Applying is a roller coaster of emotions especially when you make it to the end and fall just short, but tell him to keep improving himself and continue applying. Hopefully his dedication will eventually pay off.

Good luck!

Ralph
Rookie Member

Postby Ralph » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:06 am

Hi every one

I'm about to apply with Opp but the matter is I'm not excellent in english language, and I considered it as my fourth language after french, arabic and italian :banghead:
So I need some advise, if can I waiting or trying?
Thx lot
O Division Applicant

RPAB: 07/04/2017
SP sent: 10/15/2017
RMAQ: 01/23/2018
ESL: 03/21/2018
PEP: 07/30/2018

crenom
Rookie Member

Postby crenom » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Ralph wrote:Hi every one

I'm about to apply with Opp but the matter is I'm not excellent in english language, and I considered it as my fourth language after french, arabic and italian :banghead:
So I need some advise, if can I waiting or trying?
Thx lot

From the opp.ca uniform career section
"Although the OPP solicits applicants with multiple language abilities including both official languages, pre-applicant upgrading or training will be necessary for those not fully fluent in oral and written English language skills."

If you aren't comfortable with your english then your best bet is to take a class and become proficient before applying.

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:00 pm

All your exams at the academy and at opc are available in English only.
Proud to Serve

Rookie Member

Postby 366 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey Ralph, apply to the RCMP. They would be more than happy to put you through all of your training in french, then pay you to learn english.

Ralph
Rookie Member

Postby Ralph » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 pm

Thx every one for the answers

for sure I'll apply for RCMP but my first gol is OPP, and actually I'm under english training, I'm spending 8 hours every days, I'll aply for OPP next september.
O Division Applicant

RPAB: 07/04/2017
SP sent: 10/15/2017
RMAQ: 01/23/2018
ESL: 03/21/2018
PEP: 07/30/2018

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:06 pm

Keep up the hard work. Good for you taking on learning the language.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:32 pm

Any guesses as to how long it takes to hear back after submitting an application? I'd guess about 2-4 weeks but with the OPC class deferral, maybe it'd take longer?

Speaking of which, are OPP and other services still hiring or is that postponed too?

lox456
Rookie Member

Postby lox456 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:15 am

You should hear something by tomorrow.
Proud to Serve

Cooker99
Rookie Member

Postby Cooker99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 am

spooky wrote:Any guesses as to how long it takes to hear back after submitting an application? I'd guess about 2-4 weeks but with the OPC class deferral, maybe it'd take longer?

Speaking of which, are OPP and other services still hiring or is that postponed too?

Hey Spooky...I know that the OPP has not stopped processing applicants at this point. I have two friends at different stages of the process currently. One just finished interview and the other is starting his BGI. The one person submitted their application in January and heard within a couple of weeks about his interview. I haven't heard anything about wether OPP is planning on hiring anyone for the Fall OPC intake...Hope this helps.

Good luck!
C.O.R. - December 2011
Application - May 2012
Interview - August 2012
BGI - Sept 2012
Hiring Pool - March 2013
Update Interview - Sept 2013

Recruit13
Rookie Member

Postby Recruit13 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:42 pm

I put my application into the O.P.P. on March 1st and received confirmation that they received it and were reviewing in on March 4th. I guess especially as other posters have mentioned concerning the budget crunches, no May OPC, my application should be processed but it is not going to be in a hurry to fill seats at OPC.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:35 pm

This is what I received:

Thank you, your application has been received!

Please be advised that incomplete or applications over the 5mb (mega bites) will not be accepted and returned to you with instructions.

NOTE: We receive numerous applications every day. Should your application not go through due to our mailbox reaching it's maximum limit, please retry sending your application again at the end of the business day.

Thank you,
OPP Recruitment Team

Did you get something more than that saying your application was under review?