OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Mongo
Veteran Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby Mongo » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:21 pm

ecCoastie wrote:How does the OPP academy in Orilla differ from OPC? Does the OPP have higher standards for classes then what OPC teaches to? Also how long does field training with a training / coach officer last?

OPP Academy has much higher standards than OPC, as OPP only hires the best of the best of the best. Plus, think about it- it is an "Academy" rather than just a college. And they have a top notch water polo team.

I cannot in good conscience speak of what goes on there, however, if you have seen the movie "GI Jane" you will have a good idea. Also think of "An Officer and A Gentleman" (except the students rarely engage their instructors in karate fights). And the Orillia debs are much better looking.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

ecCoastie
Rookie Member

Postby ecCoastie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:21 am

Mongo wrote:
ecCoastie wrote:How does the OPP academy in Orilla differ from OPC? Does the OPP have higher standards for classes then what OPC teaches to? Also how long does field training with a training / coach officer last?

OPP Academy has much higher standards than OPC, as OPP only hires the best of the best of the best. Plus, think about it- it is an "Academy" rather than just a college. And they have a top notch water polo team.

I cannot in good conscience speak of what goes on there, however, if you have seen the movie "GI Jane" you will have a good idea. Also think of "An Officer and A Gentleman" (except the students rarely engage their instructors in karate fights). And the Orillia debs are much better looking.

Do you retake classes like EVOC and firearms at the OPP academy? Sorry if this question comes across as being redundant I’m just trying to get a feel of how police training works in ON. From what I’ve gathered most of the departments in the province have post OPC training as well. Is post OPC training more field orientated how are the two different other then haveing a higher set of standards?

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:12 am

ecCoastie wrote:Do you retake classes like EVOC and firearms at the OPP academy? Sorry if this question comes across as being redundant I’m just trying to get a feel of how police training works in ON. From what I’ve gathered most of the departments in the province have post OPC training as well. Is post OPC training more field orientated how are the two different other then haveing a higher set of standards?

Yes, all post-OPC training involves firearms. I cannot say whether they involve EVOC because I have no idea what that is.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:29 am

Emergency Vehicle Operator Course (what people outside of the centre of the universe call their PVO training....)
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice, hoping to resolve and conflict I'm having with myself.

Recently, my fiancé and I accepted an offer for a 6 month contract to work in northern Ontario on a reserve as 'Emergency Foster Parents'. My issue is an interview a week before packing up and heading out..... How do I approach this with an interviewer? I'm wondering how or even if, I should articulate this to the interviewer. I see it as positive way to interact with first nations (all children in the receiving home are aboriginal) and their community while getting to know their culture first hand for a short period of time. I fear an interviewer may tell me to pursue this first and foremost and then apply again once I have completed my employment with CAS. Being only 6 months, if I were to continue on in the process with this particular service, it would end around the time everything was winding down and offer was coming. So the timing seems right to me while I (as I see it) am able to improve myself improve myself within a new community.

Basically, should I tell the interviewer of my employment endeavor?
:ponder:

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:31 pm

Tell them about the employment, and do it. If you're just going for your interview now you won't be getting hired for at least 6 months assuming all goes well. Go up and take the employment opportunity if it's something you want to do, and make the necessary trips to complete the rest of the recruitment process.

Best advice: Live life as if you haven't applied. It can take a long time, and there is no use putting everything on hold in the hopes you'll get the call tomorrow.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 pm

SierraSeven wrote:Best advice: Live life as if you haven't applied. It can take a long time, and there is no use putting everything on hold in the hopes you'll get the call tomorrow.

Great advice! thanks

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Hey everyone,

Another question that might seem like it would have an obvious answer..... but I’m having a wee bit of trouble deciding which route to go.....

So I’ve got an interview in the coming weeks and can't decide whether or not to shave.... yes, my question is in regards to shaving. I have a beard and a very professional beard at that. I keep my facial very well trimmed, it is by no means at the caliber of the Canadian rugby teams beards, but very closely trimmed. This is who I am and I believe an interviewer should receive me as I intend on arriving on duty daily. My facial hair is accepted at my current place of employment in a government LE role. My trouble comes in when I do shave. A full clean shave gives me the appearance of a....16 year old. Though I am fairly young and I recognize the odds are against me at my current age (23) I feel as though the appearance of also looking very young will create an even bigger barricade than already exists. Speaking with a former recruiter (now Sergeant) of another service, I was told facial has become acceptable this day in age so long as it's well kept in a professional manner. Although an officer from another service (staffy, very old school) told me that if any of his guys should up with any facial hair they were sent home to "clean the smeared shit off their face." All sounds like perspective to me.....

Silly question, any suggestions?

toomuch
Rookie Member

Postby toomuch » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:28 pm

You may hear arguments either way. However, I'll tell you this. If you're hired, don't plan on keeping your beard at OPC and PPA. Unless, of course, your beard is of religious importance.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Hey, it's your call, but I personally think it's a good idea when applying for a position to look the part. I have never seen an OPP officer with a beard, and darned if I can find any bearded officers on the web either.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:35 pm

But are they starting from scratch?
K division.

cardz25
Rookie Member

Postby cardz25 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

toomuch wrote:You may hear arguments either way. However, I'll tell you this. If you're hired, don't plan on keeping your beard at OPC and PPA. Unless, of course, your beard is of religious importance.

Are we specifically talking about "beards" or ANY type of facial hair (i.e., nicely trimmed goatee)?
"Excuses, no matter how strong, never lead to achievement."
John C. Maxwell

human-pylon2
Rookie Member

Postby human-pylon2 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciate the info, funny how the little things are the biggest stressors before hand and then afterwards the mind runs wild with the big things that should have seemed obvious. There's a few people I know of with the same "issue" and not being in the industry it's hard to judge. Personally, around my area, I see numerous officers with facial hair, typically goatees. My area has OPP, RCMP and Local smokies. Not more than a month ago I was in court (not the bad guy) and the OPP officer before my trial had a goatee. More acceptable once your in sort of thing?

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:25 pm

Never underestimate the power of the de-escalating mustache.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.