OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
toomuch
Rookie Member

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby toomuch » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:14 am

I completely agree. I was simply offering an alternative for Runnergirl. My initial point was that if there aren't any available, she wouldn't be the only one without it. Some sort of arrangement would have to be made for the student to get it.

contrast2
Rookie Member

Postby contrast2 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:24 am

Any more offers going out for the OPP? Good luck to all of you still awaiting a call !!

Red50Dog
Rookie Member

Postby Red50Dog » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:04 pm

From those who recently went through OPC and PPA, has there been any people kicked out? And if yes, what were the grounds(PT or academic)? I know that the OPP is very selective, so it is interesting to know how people don't make the cut after getting their offer.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Sigh...
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:57 pm

Red50Dog wrote:From those who recently went through OPC and PPA, has there been any people kicked out? And if yes, what were the grounds(PT or academic)? I know that the OPP is very selective, so it is interesting to know how people don't make the cut after getting their offer.

Yes people are kicked out, fired, quit, whatever. It happens.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 pm

People have been removed for academic problems, poor ethics, etc. In my class, a guy quit before lunch on the very first day of the one-week pre- OPC because he didn't like how it was run like a very toned-down boot camp.

A lot of people have been fired for cheating on tests/exams -- and rightfully so.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

contrast2
Rookie Member

Postby contrast2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:08 pm

The process isn't perfect. It's very good and thorough but sometimes mutants can slip through !

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:15 pm

Sometimes mutants slip through, true. Also sometimes people just make really really bad decisions.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

contrast2
Rookie Member

Postby contrast2 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:40 pm

That is right as well. Just have to hope for the best sometimes. On another note, good luck to all those good moral people applying or still awaiting the call !

joeb
Rookie Member

Postby joeb » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:27 pm

Taken from CBC News (Ontario budget highlights):

"The province will move to trim OPP overtime costs by $3.5 million a year over the next three years and delay a plan to replace police cruisers."

Better than seeing "limiting the number of new hires for this year" :)

Good luck to everyone waiting for a call!

mmcpa088
Rookie Member

Postby mmcpa088 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:08 am

A couple of interesting reading points from the budget:

"The government is hiring 100 civilian staff for data-entry functions that are currently carried out by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP). This initiative will achieve efficiencies within the OPP and enable the equivalent of up to 250 OPP officers to better use their time for front-line policing services."

"In particular, the Province is proposing a mechanism whereby the issuance or renewal of vehicle licence plates would be refused for unpaid POA fines related to the operation of vehicles. As well, the Province is proposing a mechanism whereby unpaid POA fines would be set off against tax refunds issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)."

"Prison Modernization

The 2011 Budget announced the closure of underutilized prisons in Owen Sound, Walkerton and Sarnia, and the partial closure of Toronto West Detention Centre.

In this Budget, the government is moving ahead with fully closing the Toronto West Detention Centre, as well as the closure of the Brantford and Chatham jails. This plan will help modernize Ontario’s correctional facilities and achieve greater efficiencies. Full closure of the Toronto West Detention Centre will achieve additional savings of $23 million in 2013–14 and $28 million in 2014–15."

contrast2
Rookie Member

Postby contrast2 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:20 pm

Eeeeh I dare say if the OPP are returning constables to the street, hiring will slow down tremendously. There seems to be a predictable pattern in policing and big hiring numbers will return again some day in the future.

Shawnatfd127
Rookie Member

Postby Shawnatfd127 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi All, Been a watching this thread for a long time reading all entries to prepare myself for my application process which is being prepared now and hope to have it in later this spring. I have had a long journey to get myself to be at my competitive best so that when I do apply I know that I have done everything I can to be the best candidate at the time. I just wanted to say for all of you that have already applied or are thinking about it that the best advice I have heard and have taken to heart from my interactions with the recruitment team at HQ is to be at your competitive best. Yes there will always be budget cuts or operational efficiencies that may slow down or even speed up in some cases the recruitment process. At the end of the day we all just need to focus on doing what we can to be at our best so that when the call comes there is no doubt but for you to be that candidate they want. Regardless of budget cuts there will be needs to hire officers, it is true in all business aspects outside of policing that face budget cuts all the time due to market demands. I am concentrating on me and what I can do to make me the most competitive that I can. Best of luck to all in the process I hope to be able to contribute to this more in the near future.
"Innovation creates opportunity, Quality creates demand but it takes Team Work to make it happen"

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:27 am

The competition is indeed very high, despite my efforts this past year to improve, it wasn't enough for even the initial screening this time around. I was really hoping for an opportunity to discuss my achievements, but it'll have to wait another year. Not sure what to work on next, but I have plenty of time to figure it out.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"