OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
SupahDuck
King Poobah

Re: OPP Applicant Updates Thread

Postby SupahDuck » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 am

EhCP wrote:Hello everyone,

I've just taken a few days to read all 240 pages of this thread.

I'm currently taking some time to improve myself so that when I apply, I will be the best applicant I can be for the O.P.P.

I'm following a work plan and am aiming to apply sometime between March and April 2012, but I'm in no rush. I already have a great job that I enjoy very much -- just looking for a change.

Nice to meet you all!

Hell, if you're willing to go through that much "paperwork" just to find out about the job, then you've got the right skills.... :thumbsup:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

EhCP
Rookie Member

Postby EhCP » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:03 am

Thank you all for the kind words. This is clearly a very challenging and competitive process, so it's nice to know there's some support on the forum here.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:51 am

well usually we get dickheads that come on here, ask some questions looking for some advice on what service has the lowest standards then argue with the answers we give them. Or admit to smoking dope last week and how they think this will make them a better cop. Or tell us they want to go to SWAT right out of police college. You get the picture. So it's refreshing to see someone come on and say "this is me, i'm taking some time to make myself the best possible candidate" instead of "I applied 10 minutes ago, why haven't i been hired already?"
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

srt_medic
Rookie Member

Postby srt_medic » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:57 pm

meathead1 wrote:well usually we get dickheads that come on here, ask some questions looking for some advice on what service has the lowest standards then argue with the answers we give them. Or admit to smoking dope last week and how they think this will make them a better cop. Or tell us they want to go to SWAT right out of police college. You get the picture. So it's refreshing to see someone come on and say "this is me, i'm taking some time to make myself the best possible candidate" instead of "I applied 10 minutes ago, why haven't i been hired already?"

I agree with meathead on this one, when I first sent in my application over two years ago I was thinking it was going to be a quick process. Best advice I can give is be completely honest about everything. I had some things I did that I wasn't if sure would get me deferred or not but it's better to be up front about it then have them find out that you were trying to cover things up. Good luck

srt_medic
Rookie Member

Postby srt_medic » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Just wondering what the OPP policy is regarding facial hair while at OPC and/or while on the job.

Technobabbler
Rookie Member

Postby Technobabbler » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:04 pm

srt_medic wrote:Just wondering what the OPP policy is regarding facial hair while at OPC and/or while on the job.

I believe no facial hair at OPC, but on the job I have seen officers with goatees so I have to assume that it's alright. Don't take my word for it I am just making an assumption. I sport a goatee and have for the last decade but it doesn't really matter if I have to shave it then so be it. I haven't shaved it off for any of steps involved in hiring process, and it obviously hasn't impacted any of my progress.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:53 pm

you can have a magnum pi style of moustache at OPC. No goatee.

srt_medic
Rookie Member

Postby srt_medic » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:03 pm

No need to shave then, thanks!

HD48
Rookie Member

Postby HD48 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:03 pm

You can have a full beard as well.

HD48
“One of the truest tests of integrity is its blunt refusal to be compromised.”

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:39 pm

i'm not so sure about that. Maybe once you're done but I don't think you can have it as a student at OPC.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:59 pm

Here's my grad picture from OPC, wasn't a problem back then...
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

srt_medic
Rookie Member

Postby srt_medic » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:03 pm

Looking good! Better then some of the people we have working in the ambulance!

BlueStripedPants
Rookie Member

Postby BlueStripedPants » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Mongo wrote:Here's my grad picture from OPC, wasn't a problem back then...

I can actually see the remarkable likeness between your grad photo and your current picture with the cowboy hat.
Under-promise and over-deliver.

Conner4
Rookie Member

Postby Conner4 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:22 am

Hey guys long time reader, first time poster. I had some login issues...typed in HOMtail instead of HOTmail.... looks like my policing career keeping diligent notes may not start to well :S! Anyways, I received a call on Monday that I have an interview with OPP on Wednesday. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for a successful interview. I have memorized the vision, and mission statements as well as general facts (ie; when women were implemented to the OPP, how many regions and their commanders, etc.). Ive also brushed up on all my competencies. This is my first interview since I was unsuccessful at my physc with Toronto in May 2010, so Im pretty nervous! Im only 21 but im really hopin that the second time is a charm!

sbtag
Rookie Member

Postby sbtag » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:43 am

Conner4 wrote:Hey guys long time reader, first time poster. I had some login issues...typed in HOMtail instead of HOTmail.... looks like my policing career keeping diligent notes may not start to well :S! Anyways, I received a call on Monday that I have an interview with OPP on Wednesday. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for a successful interview. I have memorized the vision, and mission statements as well as general facts (ie; when women were implemented to the OPP, how many regions and their commanders, etc.). Ive also brushed up on all my competencies. This is my first interview since I was unsuccessful at my physc with Toronto in May 2010, so Im pretty nervous! Im only 21 but im really hopin that the second time is a charm!

hey,

I'm just wondering what your timeline was. I just received a package from OPP in the mail saying I will receive an interview in the near future, along with a bunch of papers that I need to fill out. How long did it take for you to get the interview from when you received the package?

also, congrats and good luck!