Recommended laser eye correction?

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Re: Recommended laser eye correction?

Postby Tdot786 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 pm

good luck

I'm going to check out some places and see who has the best deal...any suggestions?
preferably in the gta
Ontario
RPAT: June 2011
Selection Package Received: Mar 2012
Selection Package Sent: Mar, 2012
Pare: May 25th 2012 (PASSED)
RMSI: June 14th 2012 (PASSED)
PIRL: June 26th 2012 (SELECTED)
Polygraph: August 9th 2012
Medical: ??
BGI: ??
Troop: ??
Tdot786

Postby GoWings » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:48 am

Tdot786 wrote:good luck

I'm going to check out some places and see who has the best deal...any suggestions?
preferably in the gta

Well, I failed the test at my optometrist as well so now the only option is laser eye surgery. I've heard the bochner eye institute in Toronto is great. Also, personally I wouldn't be looking for the best deal in laser eye surgery. There will be places out there that are relatively cheap but don't have knowledgeable staff/surgeons working there. IMO, I'd rather pay the extra money and know that my surgeon is top of the line.

GW
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
GoWings
Sage Member

Postby GoWings » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:13 pm

Yikes....well I went to Doctor Tayfour here in Windsor for a free consultation. I felt as though I was rushed through the entire process and he probably spent 2 minutes in total explaining everything to me. So I'm now looking elsewhere (probably at the Bochner Eye Institute in Toronto). As others have said before, do your own research because although your friends may refer you to a certain place, that might not be the best choice for you. The more research I do about Tayfour, the more bad reviews I read and am seriously on the fence about this whole process....sigh.

Feel free to PM me about any questions or suggestions.

GW
:wave:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
GoWings
Sage Member

Postby Tdot786 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:34 pm

GoWings wrote:Yikes....well I went to Doctor Tayfour here in Windsor for a free consultation. I felt as though I was rushed through the entire process and he probably spent 2 minutes in total explaining everything to me. So I'm now looking elsewhere (probably at the Bochner Eye Institute in Toronto). As others have said before, do your own research because although your friends may refer you to a certain place, that might not be the best choice for you. The more research I do about Tayfour, the more bad reviews I read and am seriously on the fence about this whole process....sigh.

GW

First...aren't you a little early on in the process to get your eye surgery done? My recruiter told me to wait until my medical to get my surgery done.

Second...I went to Lasik MD and I thought they were great. They really took their time explaining everything and answered all my questions, although I didnt get to meet with the actual doctor. I was told you only meet him when you go in for surgery which was kind of weird. You should take some time out and check Lasik MD. Also I went to the Goldberg center and they have this newer procedure called LASEK (yes its with an 'e'). There is no flap made so it is safer for people pursuing law enforcement careers. Look into that as well, maybe you'll like it.

Goodluck and let me know how the Bochner Eye Institute is, I was considering them too.
Ontario
Tdot786

Postby GoWings » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Tdot786 wrote:
GoWings wrote:Yikes....well I went to Doctor Tayfour here in Windsor for a free consultation. I felt as though I was rushed through the entire process and he probably spent 2 minutes in total explaining everything to me. So I'm now looking elsewhere (probably at the Bochner Eye Institute in Toronto). As others have said before, do your own research because although your friends may refer you to a certain place, that might not be the best choice for you. The more research I do about Tayfour, the more bad reviews I read and am seriously on the fence about this whole process....sigh.

GW

First...aren't you a little early on in the process to get your eye surgery done? My recruiter told me to wait until my medical to get my surgery done.

Second...I went to Lasik MD and I thought they were great. They really took their time explaining everything and answered all my questions, although I didnt get to meet with the actual doctor. I was told you only meet him when you go in for surgery which was kind of weird. You should take some time out and check Lasik MD. Also I went to the Goldberg center and they have this newer procedure called LASEK (yes its with an 'e'). There is no flap made so it is safer for people pursuing law enforcement careers. Look into that as well, maybe you'll like it.

Goodluck and let me know how the Bochner Eye Institute is, I was considering them too.

Alright will do. Yes, I'm early on in the process with RCMP, however I need to get it done as it's the only thing holding me back from getting my OACP certificate to apply to other services.
GoWings
Sage Member

Postby Technobabbler » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:23 am

GW

My experience with Tayfour was completely the oposite, my procedure was over a year ago and have been very pleased with the results. I think it's worth mentioning that my optometrist said she is always able to tell when someone has gone to one of the better clinics, Tayfour included. In the end it's your eyes so go with who ever you feel comfortable with. My wife actually really enjoyed my procedure as she got be in the room to watch it happen. Don't be alarmed when you smell burning flesh it's normal.
Technobabbler
Seasoned Member

Postby GoWings » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:48 am

Technobabbler wrote:

GW

My experience with Tayfour was completely the oposite, my procedure was over a year ago and have been very pleased with the results. I think it's worth mentioning that my optometrist said she is always able to tell when someone has gone to one of the better clinics, Tayfour included. In the end it's your eyes so go with who ever you feel comfortable with. My wife actually really enjoyed my procedure as she got be in the room to watch it happen. Don't be alarmed when you smell burning flesh it's normal.

Uhhhhhhhhh........... 88) 88) 88)
GoWings
Sage Member

Postby GoWings » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Technobabbler, are you a PO and did you get PRK or LASIK with Tayfour? I'm just wondering as I've heard people say that PRK is the only way to go for those pursuing a policing career. Can anyone else chime in?

GW
GoWings
Sage Member

Postby Technobabbler » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:58 pm

I went Lasik, PRK recovery is hell by comparison. Don't quote me on this but I have heard that todays techniques are so good that after the healing is done its very difficult to dislodge the flap, I've been told you get smacked, poked, punched or what ever hard enough to do it you're probably going to have other issues to worry about, like the damage to the eye itself. No I am not an officer, but I am working towards it.
Technobabbler
Seasoned Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 pm

GoWings wrote:Technobabbler, are you a PO and did you get PRK or LASIK with Tayfour? I'm just wondering as I've heard people say that PRK is the only way to go for those pursuing a policing career. Can anyone else chime in?

GW

I've gone for the consult, not pursuing it at this time because I'm considering auxiliary not PC (still need 20/40-20/20 eyes for aux, and right now I can't justify the expense for a volunteer role). I was told that I was an excellent candidate for Lasik and that they'd done plenty of people applying for policing.

PRK is a better choice for some people, but this is based more on the characteristics of your eyes (for example, a thin cornea) or the type of correction that you need.

Seriously though, go and talk to an ophthalmologist or optometrist, not a bunch of random non-healthcare professionals on a forum. Call a couple of clinics and go for the free consultation, they'll run a bunch of tests and tell you what would be best for you.
GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby Tdot786 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:15 am

GoodWitness wrote:
Seriously though, go and talk to an ophthalmologist or optometrist, not a bunch of random non-healthcare professionals on a forum. Call a couple of clinics and go for the free consultation, they'll run a bunch of tests and tell you what would be best for you.

As much as I agree with you, remember that the people in those clinics are still salesmans. Of course their going to tell you that the expensive one is better for you and their going to say that their clinic is the best, etc.
So it can be tricky as to whose advice you should take.
But all in all, they still are the doctors..
Ontario
Tdot786

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:00 am

Tdot786 wrote:
GoodWitness wrote:

As much as I agree with you, remember that the people in those clinics are still salesmans. Of course their going to tell you that the expensive one is better for you and their going to say that their clinic is the best, etc.
So it can be tricky as to whose advice you should take.
But all in all, they still are the doctors..

They may be "salespeople", but they're also medical professionals who have put in a MINIMUM of 9 years of medical school a residency in ophthalmology in the case of the surgeon, or in the case of the optometrist who you usually meet with first, 5 years of university education and are in regulated health professions. As for selling you the most expensive option - they're your eyes, if there have been advances in technology and techniques that improve the outcomes (less night-time halos, etc.) then who on earth would opt for the $499 per eye that you hear advertised on the radio?!?

Hey, get all the opinions you want from the guys on here. If the surgeon that you choose thinks your choice of procedure will give you the best result or as good a result as another option then he'll probably do it for you. Guaranteed if he doesn't, he won't.

The other thing to think about, if the impact you're thinking about is vicious enough to tear the front off your eye, you're likely getting f***ed up in other ways too.
GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby honouroverall » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:24 pm

*Edit
Last edited by honouroverall on Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A sword must bend or it will break
honouroverall

Postby Toonces » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:31 pm

You can certainly smell it, but it's really not a big deal. I was on the table for 10 minutes maximum. I've nothing negative to say whatsoever about the procedure or the outcome. I've told many friends and family that it was the best money I've ever spent.
Proud suppporter of VanS' 5-step program.

"You are too stupid to live."

I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.
Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:29 pm

I got LASIK done in 2006 and things are still going great. After struggling with glasses as a teenager and in the reserves through school I was happy to get it done. I did wait until my last medical before Depot to do it but I would have done it sooner had I known how easy it was. I don't have any plans on ejecting out of a supersonic jet anytime soon so I think I should be okay with the flap. Having the flap done will not effect any policing career as basically there won't be an eye left to dislodge the flap from if it came to that.
Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

PreviousNext

Return to Law Enforcement Applicants (FAQ)