Correctional Service of Canada application process

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Correctional Service of Canada application process

Postby Apollo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:22 pm

I just got my CSC test date for The General Competency Test Level 2 (GCT 2)! :D

My test is scheduled for Monday, July 23, 2007. I'm really excited, but I'm just not sure what exactly to study. From reading other posts, I gathered that grade 10 basic math will be on the exam. Any tips or advice would be great.

Everything thus far has happened quite quickly. I applied May, 25, 2007 and found out my testing date today, July 4, 2007. I'm crossing my fingers!

I'll keep everyone posted!

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:09 pm

Did you do the online practice exam? I can honestly tell you that it's basically a longer version of the practice exam.

When you write the exam, I can't stress enough the importance of time management. At the five minute warning there were a lot of people "oh shitting" and madly filling in circles at the end.

It's not that hard. I've written harder high school finals than the GCT2. I actually did pretty good on the exam and found it to be a welcoming challenge from pouring coffee all day.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:24 pm

I would say studying math would be priority as the rest you can't really study for as it's cognitive abilities. Remember to bring a basic (not scientific) calculator.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:36 pm

Inspir wrote:I would say studying math would be priority as the rest you can't really study for as it's cognitive abilities. Remember to bring a basic (not scientific) calculator.

While it's always best to be on the safe side, no one seemed to care what type of calculator was used to write the exam, as long as it wasn't on a cell phone, which shouldn't have made it into the penitentiary to begin with.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks for the tips guys! I have the Police Prep book, so I'm going to study the Math, English, and General sections in that, as well as the RCMP test inside.

The practice exam website is also a good tool I will use.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:01 am

Well good luck! Which institution are you striving for :?:

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 am

Well, I applied to all the institutions that were stated in the posting. I believe all of them are within a three hour driving distance from Toronto.

Central Ontario (Centre de l'Ontario), Campbellford

Eastern Ontario (Est de l'Ontario), Kingston

Georgian / Huron / Simcoe Region (Région de Georgian - Huron - Simcoe), Gravenhurst

I'm not sure if there are any institutions closer, but those are what were posted. Not a bad distance at all from Toronto, considering some people are sent to different provinces. I figure I can move out an hour and half to two hours away and commute an hour or so to work each day. I'll rent a place for a little bit then as soon as I'm able to, I'll invest in a house. I don't want to jump the gun, I just want to be prepared with some sort of plan in case I get the call.

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:41 am

Congrats on getting your test date dude! I myself was a CX but applied to the Prairie region after which the Ontario (kingston) region turned me down at the interview stage.
So I went to another region and was hired on the spot.
Needless to say when I transferred back to Ontario the central recruiting office had "shuffled" their recruiters.

I currently commute from Niagara to TO for work and it wears you down after awhile so you might want to consider renting anything in the Kingston area and commuting from there. Just my thought anyways.

Good luck on your test and I wish you all the best brother!

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:11 pm

Now I applied to:

Central Ontario (Centre de l'Ontario), Campbellford,
Eastern Ontario (Est de l'Ontario), Kingston
Georgian / Huron / Simcoe Region (Région de Georgian - Huron - Simcoe), Gravenhurst.

Would I have to do three separate interviews for each of the above locations/regions? or is it one interview for all of Ontario?

ex. Central Region conducts their own interview and Eastern Ontario conducts their own interview.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:24 pm

I think it varies with region and proximity of institutions if they would rather have one dedicated recruiter for multiple institutions. For example my recruiter was for southern Alberta which included Drumheller Pen., Bowden Pen., and various minimums. It came down to:

Recruiter: Which institution would you prefer?
Me: Whichever is available first

And then I got Bowden. I've been told (and don't know if it's true) that you can jump ship/transfer to other institutions during your career.

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Apollo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:45 am

Inspir wrote:I think it varies with region and proximity of institutions if they would rather have one dedicated recruiter for multiple institutions. For example my recruiter was for southern Alberta which included Drumheller Pen., Bowden Pen., and various minimums. It came down to:

Recruiter: Which institution would you prefer?
Me: Whichever is available first

And then I got Bowden. I've been told (and don't know if it's true) that you can jump ship/transfer to other institutions during your career.

I'm with you Inspir, that exactly how I'm going to respond if asked. No way I'm going to pass up an opportunity like this.

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:55 pm

Ontario region has a "core" hiring process. Kingston does all the hiring for the institutions in Ontario as opposed to the other regions where each institution does their own.

Now if you can get thru the 3 months unpaid training, and 2 weeks unpaid OJT as well they hold your first pay till the end of the year.....then go for it. I almost bankrupted myself when I was in CTP.

PaladinPup

Postby PaladinPup » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:37 pm

ToyCopp wrote: I almost bankrupted myself when I was in CTP.

Pay for your own food and travel on weekends. Pay all your other expenses; car payments, insurance, mortage (if you have one).

Our CTP lasted 4 months!

We were then promised all the OT we wanted because it was so busy at the Institution we were posted to. That was a dream. We've had 27 new officers posted to our jail after we started. OT is a thing of the past, but what we do have more spares than we know what to do with. We have 18 extra people on shift sometimes! That's after all post have the maximum number of officers on duty. 18 people with no posts...just there. Hard to get out of debt for many that way.

Not an issue if you're young without as many financial responsibilities though.

PP
Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim
(Be patient and tough; one day this pain will be useful to you)
- Ovid

Apollo
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Correctional Service of Canada application process

Postby Apollo » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:22 pm

Well, one more day to go until I write the test. I'm sure I have everything down, not much I can study for. Although, I am starting to take a close look at the math equations and such. I've been studying the RCMP testing material from the Police Prep book and the website that CSC sent me. Too bad the material on the CSC link wasn't more in-depth or longer, but enough to give me the basic idea of what they are looking for.

I'm going to take this time to ask for any other advice rather then tomorrow last minute.lol I asked for advice on here two hours before my interview for Toronto Police Auxiliary. The only advice that was posted before I left was from Cadetstable:

"Two hours!!? My tip for you is get off the computer and don't be late lol!"

Best advice I've ever heard.lol I wasn't late, therefore I was able to pass! 8) What I've learned from here is that every little tip is helpful in its own way. We can all learn something.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Re: Correctional Service of Canada application process

Postby SD_SC1 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:52 pm

michael15 wrote:Well, one more day to go until I write the test. I'm sure I have everything down, not much I can study for. Although, I am starting to take a close look at the math equations and such. I've been studying the RCMP testing material from the Police Prep book and the website that CSC sent me. Too bad the material on the CSC link wasn't more in-depth or longer, but enough to give me the basic idea of what they are looking for.

I'm going to take this time to ask for any other advice rather then tomorrow last minute.lol I asked for advice on here two hours before my interview for Toronto Police Auxiliary. The only advice that was posted before I left was from Cadetstable:

"Two hours!!? My tip for you is get off the computer and don't be late lol!"

Best advice I've ever heard.lol I wasn't late, therefore I was able to pass! 8) What I've learned from here is that every little tip is helpful in its own way. We can all learn something.

Just remember:
  • Bring a watch and manage your time well. The question types are evenly distributed throughout the exam, and you don't want to be left with insufficient time to properly work-out the last few questions.
  • Don't over-analyze the vocabulary questions, but don't answer them too quickly either. Once you answer a few of the questions you should start to see why. ;)
  • Bring a good eraser with you! The ones on the pencils are not sufficient for erasing your marks enough for the computer-grader to grade it properly.
  • IMPORTANT! Every ten questions or so check your answer sheet against the test booklet to make sure that the question numbers correspond with eachother. The last thing you want is to have to re-do your entire answer sheet because you accidently answered questions five and six in the question five line. :oops: (Lucky for me I was checking my sheet every ten questions.)
  • Don't get flustered if everyone else is flipping ahead of you. It's not a race, and several of the questions can easily be messed up simply by rushing through the question and missing something. Rushing is also an excellent way to mess up your answer sheet and answer the wrong questions.
  • Get a good night's rest tonight.
  • Bring a water bottle with you.
  • Leave your cell phone at home or hidden in your car.
  • Arrive early because it does take a few minutes to get through security.
  • Don't get intimidated if you get there and everyone else is bigger and older than you.
Sed libera nos a malo.