Edmonton Police Service

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
l_o_l
Rookie Member

Edmonton Police Service

Postby l_o_l » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Hello everyone:

I'm travelling to Edmonton in late August to complete the testing with EPS.

I know that they're having a week of testing just for out of province applicants and I'm wondering if anyone on the board is going out there as well.

I'd love to hear about anyone else's recent experiences with EPS too.

Take care.

StudentLaw
Rookie Member

Postby StudentLaw » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:35 pm

I live in Edmonton and have done some ride-alongs with the EPS. The EPS is a great service and they seem to treat potential candidates very well, I've always been impressed with the professionalism they've shown. I wish you the very best on your testing!

l_o_l
Rookie Member

Postby l_o_l » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:02 pm

Thanks for those words of encouragement studentlaw.

Have you ever applied to EPS yourself? If not, why?

adamtheha
Rookie Member

Postby adamtheha » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:11 pm

Does anyone know if they're planning to revamp their fitness requirements? I'd apply, but I can't touch my toes. Because I can't touch my toes, I can't be a cop?
Before anyone tells me that I need more stretching, it's not that I need to stretch more, it's that I'm too short, and I've never been able to do it from the day I was born.
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right" - Stewie Griffin

Recon
Rookie Member

Postby Recon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm

Adam.... what too short, how tall are you? I am only 5 feet 2 inches and I have no prob touching my toes!!!
Why walk when you can ride!

StudentLaw
Rookie Member

Postby StudentLaw » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:32 pm

l_o_l wrote:Thanks for those words of encouragement studentlaw.

Have you ever applied to EPS yourself? If not, why?

I haven't ever applied to the EPS, I was planning on it but because of some serious health issues, it looks as though a career in policing is no longer an option for me. I would and do highly recommend Edmonton (if you can afford to live here) to anyone considering a career in Law Enforcement. Where are you from/living currently?

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:39 pm

adamtheha wrote:Does anyone know if they're planning to revamp their fitness requirements? I'd apply, but I can't touch my toes. Because I can't touch my toes, I can't be a cop?

That's right.....

Seriously. They will take your build into consideration, and could give you a pass under your circumstances, if all else is satisfactory.
Hired Goon

l_o_l
Rookie Member

Postby l_o_l » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:53 pm

Dear Studentlaw:

I currently live in the Greater Toronto Area and I'm planning to complete my testing in late August.

I have heard from others that EPS has the most difficult application process - including very challenging fitness testing. I'm hopeful that I can at least be competitive.

I, too, am concerned about the cost of living in Edmonton and where its going to be in a few years.

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:03 pm

I thought EPS was switching to the PARE for physical testing, atleast that's what I thought I read on the recruiting website.

adamtheha
Rookie Member

Postby adamtheha » Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:20 pm

Recon wrote:Adam.... what too short, how tall are you? I am only 5 feet 2 inches and I have no prob touching my toes!!!

Yeah, I'm just over 5 feet 4. My wife laughs at me every time I come back from a run and stretch, then she touches her toes just to be cute. I suppose if I did exceptional at every other activity in the test, I wonder if they might pass me? I guess it's worth a try.

I read on the website that the obstacle course is being removed, to be replaced by the PARE, but the rest of the test remains as is!
"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right" - Stewie Griffin

INTERCEPTOR
Rookie Member

Postby INTERCEPTOR » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Lions all the way!

StudentLaw
Rookie Member

Postby StudentLaw » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:55 pm

l_o_l wrote:Dear Studentlaw:

I currently live in the Greater Toronto Area and I'm planning to complete my testing in late August.

I have heard from others that EPS has the most difficult application process - including very challenging fitness testing. I'm hopeful that I can at least be competitive.

I, too, am concerned about the cost of living in Edmonton and where its going to be in a few years.

To be honest I always felt like Edmonton was one of the more accomodating and flexible services. During school I had the opportunity to sit in on information sessions for the RCMP, CPS, EPS, and the Lethbridge Regional Police Service. Edmonton was always extremely helpful and encouraging and the same couldn't be said about all of the other services.

My understanding is that the EPS has recently switched to the PARE in an effort to encourage applicants that have been hesitant to apply because of the fitness test to reconsider. You have over a month to prepare and I think that if your willing to commit yourself to a fitness regime between now and then you'll be competitive.

The cost of housing has increased significantly over the past few years but I have a feeling that is going to turn around shortly. Rising intrest rates and higher supply have already started to curb the overinflated market.

Again, I wish you the very best in your testing and I hope you'll come back and tell us about your experience.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Re: Edmonton Police Service

Postby fjacky » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:08 pm

l_o_l wrote:Hello everyone:

I'm travelling to Edmonton in late August to complete the testing with EPS.

I know that they're having a week of testing just for out of province applicants and I'm wondering if anyone on the board is going out there as well.

I'd love to hear about anyone else's recent experiences with EPS too.

Take care.

I have someone you can contact. I PM'd you.
!!!2008!!!

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:51 pm

StudentLaw wrote:
l_o_l wrote:Dear Studentlaw:

To be honest I always felt like Edmonton was one of the more accomodating and flexible services. During school I had the opportunity to sit in on information sessions for the RCMP, CPS, EPS, and the Lethbridge Regional Police Service. Edmonton was always extremely helpful and encouraging and the same couldn't be said about all of the other services.

My understanding is that the EPS has recently switched to the PARE in an effort to encourage applicants that have been hesitant to apply because of the fitness test to reconsider. You have over a month to prepare and I think that if your willing to commit yourself to a fitness regime between now and then you'll be competitive.

The cost of housing has increased significantly over the past few years but I have a feeling that is going to turn around shortly. Rising intrest rates and higher supply have already started to curb the overinflated market.

Again, I wish you the very best in your testing and I hope you'll come back and tell us about your experience.
You still have to do everything you did before, in addition to the PARE.

l_o_l
Rookie Member

Postby l_o_l » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:11 pm

So nobody on the board is planning to go out to Edmonton in late August to do all of the testing?

Thats too bad.