facebook

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
bigguy
Rookie Member

facebook

Postby bigguy » Mon May 21, 2007 9:13 am

Does any credible person know if having an account on facebook is a problem. I am currently going through the process (ECI stage) and somebody told me that their "cop friend" said that facebook was an absolute no no, at least in peel and toronto. Does anybody know at least somewhat for sure if this is true?

Thanks.

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Mon May 21, 2007 9:28 am

The problem is when you have your account open to people you don't know (Networks) and you post about your occupation and have pictures, etc. The Service can't tell you what to do with your facebook account, however personal security should be important.

I have a facebook account, but access to my profile must be approved by me on an individual basis which means only my friends can see the information that they would have access to anyway (by knowing me already). No big deal...

When you are in the address suppression program, have your phone number unlisted, etc etc and then post your address, occupation and picture on the net for all to see.. thats when its a problem.

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Mon May 21, 2007 9:50 am

The CBSA is supposedly going through this right now. The facebook website is being blocked by the internet filters, and they are supposedly asking that people not mention their affiliation with the CBSA.
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon May 21, 2007 10:16 am

If you wish to make use of Facebook just make damn good and certain that you a) use an account that is not work related, and b) keep your content un-work related. No dancing on desk tops partly out of uniform....or doing other STUPID" pranks that equal dereliction of duty or discreditable conduct or otherwise embarrass your employer.

There have been issues in government, police services, institutions and other employment situations where “work” has been brought into the focus in a negative way. Keep in mind that if your work provides you with an e-mail account they most certainly can dictate what you do with it and monitor it so I would suggest no using a work account to register. Now as for telling people what they can or can not do. I would beg to differ on that (to a degree). Posting photos of “work” situations may become rather hazardous to one’s career!! It might be meant as fun but may be interpreted in a far different light by you employer.

Just google “Facebook” for new articles and decide for yourself. Getting caught up in a few silly moments could damage your career.
Last edited by Dave Jenkins on Mon May 21, 2007 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

fox
Rookie Member

Postby fox » Mon May 21, 2007 10:29 am

I also have a facebook account, and a few weeks ago I ran a search for people who work for the Toronto Police, and the OPP.
I had results comeback on both services, lots of cops have facebook accounts.

KL
King Poobah

Postby KL » Mon May 21, 2007 10:33 am

Facebook is pretty new so I don't know what policies are out there for other forces. I do know that there are lots of RCMP members on it (including me). Like many government agencies the RCMP has blocked access to the site through RCMP internet connections.

If you are concerned just don't mention your status as an applicant on your profile. Keeping unwanted people from seeing your information is easy enough to do if you follow the instructions on the site.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon May 21, 2007 11:29 am

I recently added my mug to Facebook... :wave:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Ksalami
Rookie Member

Postby Ksalami » Mon May 21, 2007 12:33 pm

I have seen some of the coppers on our coppers group post some disturbing pictures of them at OPC. I heard some of the guys at OPC in the recent class had to leave due to some of the pictures that were posted.
Last edited by Ksalami on Mon May 21, 2007 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spudgun44
Rookie Member

Postby spudgun44 » Mon May 21, 2007 12:38 pm

Ksalami wrote:I have seen some of the coopers on our coopers group post some disturbing pictures of them at OPC. I heard some of the guys at OPC in the recent class had to leave due to some of the pictures that were posted.

You make barrels for a living?

h4x0rz
Rookie Member

Postby h4x0rz » Mon May 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Facebook.. hrm.

I have an account, but little information about my work is posted on my profile.

IMO.. It's not a good idea to let everyone know online that you are a popo.. I'm sure there are HA's browsing facebook, and looking at people's profiles .

Gerg
Rookie Member

Postby Gerg » Mon May 21, 2007 12:56 pm

It is actually quite commen for employers to browse facebook for their employees, or potential employees.

As someone else said, be careful what you post.........commen sense should influence your facebook content for sure. Same with myspace and every other networking program out there.

Mikey0929
Veteran Member

Postby Mikey0929 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:15 pm

I don't think it would be hard for a background officer to do a quick little search of facebook and find out what you've been up to. I agree with some of the other posts that you really need to watch what you put up on facebook and who has access to it. A photo that you put up or a post from a friend on your wall that could be a joke or harmless, could turn into a letter saying thanks but no thanks. I know of a few people that have stuff posted on their wall that are apparently just jokes that could be taken the wrong way and raise some question with a BG officer. I have heard that one of the services out there (and I can't remember which service) has been known to do a quick search on facebook to see what they can find out on a person.

Think before you post... that's all...

In regards to having an account and being a police officer? I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed... as long as you're mature and responsible about what you post. I wouldn't want the world knowing what I do, where I live, all about my family and all those details.

My profile will remain locked to anyone but the people I add...

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Mon May 21, 2007 2:26 pm

Gerg wrote:It is actually quite commen for employers to browse facebook for their employees, or potential employees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MTEb8zRDZg
Sed libera nos a malo.

Mr-C
Rookie Member

Postby Mr-C » Mon May 21, 2007 3:21 pm

Even if you don't use facebook, a lot of your friends could be posting photos and info about you too.

I'm surprised background interviewers don't already ask you to submit a list of email addresses, online names and aliases you commonly use.