Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Dreambig
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Dreambig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:02 pm

Do you have to obtain medical check on your own (vision/hearing)? Would I be able to submit medical checks that I had done less than a year ago (for a police OACP certificate) or do I need to go through the process again?

Dreambig
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Dreambig » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:04 pm

Recruit20 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:51 pm
Dreambig wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:39 pm
Recruit20 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:25 pm


Of course, I do realize at this point it could go either way. Keeping my fingers crossed. Your timeline gives me an idea. Thank you for the information! Good luck in April.
How did you find the NEO test? Just basic questions that try to determine your personality type? Are you extrovert, ambivert, introvert?
Evening! Yes, exactly! I wanted an idea of what to expect so I found a free sample one online. I did find it very similar to the one I received. It was 250 questions. Answer them honestly and you will be fine!
Do you have a similar timeline to me?
Good luck!
Thanks for the insight. You're ahead of me. I take the fitco test at the end of this month and need to do the NEO test. I've passed the interview and so on. I hope I will be working with some of you in the near future.

redridinghood
Rookie Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:36 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby redridinghood » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:09 am

Dreambig wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:10 pm
How does TSDC compare?
what is it you want to get out of this job?
income? go South
experience to put on resume? go South or ‘Hurst
proper training and experience on how to work unionized environment with inmates in a proper jail? go ‘Hurst or Hamilton (would be my second choice)
if you don’t mind moving go Lindsay or Penatang, anywhere but South, get properly trained on what a jail suppose to be like, but if you just waiting to get to a police force, and don’t mind frustration South is the place
OCI is/was a place to go before retiring, you will have a shit ton of experienced officers there that can teach you a lot, if you can learn from listening, but it will not give you an hands on experience, what is needed when working with people

Recruit2021
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Recruit2021 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Hey everyone, finally decided to make an account and join the conversation here.

I applied last year in March and just started my 4th week of online training before going to the Training Center in Hamilton on March 1. If anyone has any specific questions about the current process with covid feel free to reach out to me. I know a lot of it has been covered already but I'll throw some stuff down below just to reconfirm the basics.

Process from application to conditional offer took about 9 months (Applied - March, Offer - December)

Once you get your conditional offer you need to;
- get or renew your emergency first aid within 3 weeks.
- call your family doctor and get a quick medical done (vision, hearing etc) this appointment took me about 15 minutes.
- sign and return a few forms to the ministry for all the legal stuff.
- setup your direct deposit information through OPS so that you can get paid for training which is 14$hr now.

The online classes run typically from 9am-4am sometimes less or more. long days in front of your computer with a small test every week and a bigger test every 2 weeks. once you finish your classes for the day you've got to complete self-learning modules online to prepare for your classes the next day, only a few assignments are thrown in. mostly assignments on how to write proper reports.'

the instructors are all amazing and you can email them with any questions you have.

*Extras*

-You won't hear anything about the security clearance after you've submitted it unless it came back negative and they defer you from the process.
-FitCo Test is done a second time in your first week of online classes, if you fail the instructors will work with you and keep testing you until the end of the 8 week program to give you every opportunity to pass.
- Apparently when we start at the college a few things will be different than normal due to covid:
- you will have 1 other recruit as a partner for defensive tactics training, you will be able to train, study and hangout with this other person but you are not supposed to goto any other recruits rooms while living there.
- the gym will be closed. this might change for later intakes but we won't be able to use it.


I chose Maplehurst as my institution and decided to relocate from bowmanville. I suggest you talk to the recruiter about your options for an institution and do your own research when the time comes. Like I said, I know a lot of this has been covered I just wanted to confirm some of the things I've experienced so far.

Best of luck everyone!

Mr.88
Regular Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Mr.88 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Recruit2021 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm
Hey everyone, finally decided to make an account and join the conversation here.

I applied last year in March and just started my 4th week of online training before going to the Training Center in Hamilton on March 1. If anyone has any specific questions about the current process with covid feel free to reach out to me. I know a lot of it has been covered already but I'll throw some stuff down below just to reconfirm the basics.

Process from application to conditional offer took about 9 months (Applied - March, Offer - December)

Once you get your conditional offer you need to;
- get or renew your emergency first aid within 3 weeks.
- call your family doctor and get a quick medical done (vision, hearing etc) this appointment took me about 15 minutes.
- sign and return a few forms to the ministry for all the legal stuff.
- setup your direct deposit information through OPS so that you can get paid for training which is 14$hr now.

The online classes run typically from 9am-4am sometimes less or more. long days in front of your computer with a small test every week and a bigger test every 2 weeks. once you finish your classes for the day you've got to complete self-learning modules online to prepare for your classes the next day, only a few assignments are thrown in. mostly assignments on how to write proper reports.'

the instructors are all amazing and you can email them with any questions you have.

*Extras*

-You won't hear anything about the security clearance after you've submitted it unless it came back negative and they defer you from the process.
-FitCo Test is done a second time in your first week of online classes, if you fail the instructors will work with you and keep testing you until the end of the 8 week program to give you every opportunity to pass.
- Apparently when we start at the college a few things will be different than normal due to covid:
- you will have 1 other recruit as a partner for defensive tactics training, you will be able to train, study and hangout with this other person but you are not supposed to goto any other recruits rooms while living there.
- the gym will be closed. this might change for later intakes but we won't be able to use it.


I chose Maplehurst as my institution and decided to relocate from bowmanville. I suggest you talk to the recruiter about your options for an institution and do your own research when the time comes. Like I said, I know a lot of this has been covered I just wanted to confirm some of the things I've experienced so far.

Best of luck everyone!

Thank you this helps a lot!

You mentioned fitco is done 1st week of online training. How is this done? We have to book another fitco test at a location? How will we have time to do this if we are doing online classes 9-4 Monday-Friday?

When staying in Hamilton can we leave on the weekends? Or go to a gym in the city because the gyms are closed at the college?

Are we paid $14/hr for 7hrs per day?or 8hrs?

Also i have a desktop for at home online training, but should i invest in a laptop for training at the college?

Thank you
Ontario Corrections
Application - 2020-04✅
Wonderlic - 2020-06✅
REACT - 2020-07✅
Interview/Reference check - 2020/08✅
Security Clearance - Mailed VSC 2020/10/05
NEO-PI-3 Test - 2020/08/30✅
FITCO - 2020/10/14✅
Training March 15
EMDC start date May 10

Windy_city86
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:39 pm
Contact:

Ontario Correctional Services Windsor/Sarnia/London

Postby Windy_city86 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:48 pm

Hey room,

First congrats to everybody whom has received their offers. Way to go!!! :D
Anybody get a response back within Southwestern Ontario or take an offer in the area?


Ontario Corrections
Application - 2020-07-08✅
Wonderlic - 2020-08-11✅
REACT - 2020-09-23✅
Interview/Reference check - 2020/10/08✅
Security Clearance - Mailed VSC 2020/10/14✅
FITCO - 2020/10/14✅
NEO-PI-3 Test - 2020/11/15✅

Mr.88
Regular Member
Posts: 85
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:08 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services Windsor/Sarnia/London

Postby Mr.88 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:58 pm

Windy_city86 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:48 pm
Hey room,

First congrats to everybody whom has received their offers. Way to go!!! :D
Anybody get a response back within Southwestern Ontario or take an offer in the area?



Southwest Detention was my #1 choice but they said it would be 8-12 months if i am lucky. I took EMDC offer instead. Good luck
Ontario Corrections
Application - 2020-04✅
Wonderlic - 2020-06✅
REACT - 2020-07✅
Interview/Reference check - 2020/08✅
Security Clearance - Mailed VSC 2020/10/05
NEO-PI-3 Test - 2020/08/30✅
FITCO - 2020/10/14✅
Training March 15
EMDC start date May 10

Dreambig
Rookie Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:31 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Dreambig » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:41 pm

How many people here have gone through the entire process and then didn't get hired?

Panther
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Panther » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:11 am

What recruit2021 said is true. I’m heading into on site training on March 1 too

As for training pay , I haven’t received it yet. I believe we only get paid if we complete the entire first 4 weeks, and then the entire last 4 weeks of training.

They emailed us that they recommend you bring a laptop or tablet to the college for access to the virtual academy , I recommend a laptop if you can get it , for quick notes and navigating the virtual presentation

Panther
Rookie Member
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Panther » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:16 am

The recruits were emailed internal fitco testing dates so we had to choose from the list , it was done in Hamilton about 6-10 people each hour

Recruit2021
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:51 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Recruit2021 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:27 am

Mr.88 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm
Recruit2021 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm

Thank you this helps a lot!

You mentioned fitco is done 1st week of online training. How is this done? We have to book another fitco test at a location? How will we have time to do this if we are doing online classes 9-4 Monday-Friday?

When staying in Hamilton can we leave on the weekends? Or go to a gym in the city because the gyms are closed at the college?

Are we paid $14/hr for 7hrs per day?or 8hrs?

Also i have a desktop for at home online training, but should i invest in a laptop for training at the college?

Thank you
Classes are Mon-Fri so for FITCO they will email you with times on Saturdays and you choose your favourite slots. About 6 recruits per hour.

You will have to pay an extra 300$ to stay at the college on weekends otherwise you will go home every weekend. And you can leave whenever you want to goto a gym nearby if youd like to do that but you need to sign in and out at the front desk.

As for a laptop, you will need to access the online class even while in school so either a laptop or tablet is mandatory. I suggest finding a laptop even if you just borrow it for the month.

Lastly, we havent been paid yet so I cant comment on how much it is total. Should be roughly 14$/hr for 40hrs a week I would imagine.

Hope that helped!

Lambo
Rookie Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Lambo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 am

Hello I’m a new recruit candidate here. I’m currently in process while writing my Neo testing in two weeks. Fingers crossed I hear back after that. If we have made it this far is it likely that we get an offer? I listed thorold, Hamilton and Lindsay as my choices. I’m assuming since the next wave of trainees is going in March 15 that the next one after that should be in April? Lastly, my last question would be, how is life on campus through training? Could you provide a day in the life breakdown?

Thanks and hope to see some of you guys and girls moving forward! Best of luck

Lospollos
Rookie Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Lospollos » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:57 am

Lambo wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:47 am
Hello I’m a new recruit candidate here. I’m currently in process while writing my Neo testing in two weeks. Fingers crossed I hear back after that. If we have made it this far is it likely that we get an offer? I listed thorold, Hamilton and Lindsay as my choices. I’m assuming since the next wave of trainees is going in March 15 that the next one after that should be in April? Lastly, my last question would be, how is life on campus through training? Could you provide a day in the life breakdown?

Thanks and hope to see some of you guys and girls moving forward! Best of luck
If u pass all the stages including the training you are guaranteed a job offer. Life on campus is non-existent as training is done online and then at the institutions currently unless they began COTA back up at hamilton
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Northern12
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby Northern12 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:55 am

Does anyone know if the COTA North initiative is still happening where recruits received training in a northern community?

newaccount2021
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:29 am
Contact:

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby newaccount2021 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Recruit2021 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:48 pm
Hey everyone, finally decided to make an account and join the conversation here.

I applied last year in March and just started my 4th week of online training before going to the Training Center in Hamilton on March 1. If anyone has any specific questions about the current process with covid feel free to reach out to me. I know a lot of it has been covered already but I'll throw some stuff down below just to reconfirm the basics.

Process from application to conditional offer took about 9 months (Applied - March, Offer - December)

Once you get your conditional offer you need to;
- get or renew your emergency first aid within 3 weeks.
- call your family doctor and get a quick medical done (vision, hearing etc) this appointment took me about 15 minutes.
- sign and return a few forms to the ministry for all the legal stuff.
- setup your direct deposit information through OPS so that you can get paid for training which is 14$hr now.

The online classes run typically from 9am-4am sometimes less or more. long days in front of your computer with a small test every week and a bigger test every 2 weeks. once you finish your classes for the day you've got to complete self-learning modules online to prepare for your classes the next day, only a few assignments are thrown in. mostly assignments on how to write proper reports.'

the instructors are all amazing and you can email them with any questions you have.

*Extras*

-You won't hear anything about the security clearance after you've submitted it unless it came back negative and they defer you from the process.
-FitCo Test is done a second time in your first week of online classes, if you fail the instructors will work with you and keep testing you until the end of the 8 week program to give you every opportunity to pass.
- Apparently when we start at the college a few things will be different than normal due to covid:
- you will have 1 other recruit as a partner for defensive tactics training, you will be able to train, study and hangout with this other person but you are not supposed to goto any other recruits rooms while living there.
- the gym will be closed. this might change for later intakes but we won't be able to use it.


I chose Maplehurst as my institution and decided to relocate from bowmanville. I suggest you talk to the recruiter about your options for an institution and do your own research when the time comes. Like I said, I know a lot of this has been covered I just wanted to confirm some of the things I've experienced so far.

Best of luck everyone!
Im doing my medical soon, just wondering about the hearing test, how is the test conducted ?


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], Jumb34t and 6 guests