GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL CBSA APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby PrairieFire31 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:09 pm

Clearly this is pure speculation, but usually they send all the invites on the same day so I'm not really holding my breath for a email. On the zoom meeting for the Security and Intervention Group, the CBSA recruiter said they are going to have reduced class sizes. I would not be surprised if all 16A invites have already been sent. Again there is no source for this, strictly my own opinion.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

AirP
Rookie Member

Postby AirP » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm

Last edited by AirP on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PrairieFire31
Rookie Member

Postby PrairieFire31 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm

AirP wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:09 pm
Clearly this is pure speculation, but usually they send all the invites on the same day so I'm not really holding my breath for a email. On the zoom meeting for the Security and Intervention Group, the CBSA recruiter said they are going to have reduced class sizes. I would not be surprised if all 16A invites have already been sent. Again there is no source for this, strictly my own opinion.
You could be right. But they can't send an invite if they haven't reviewed over peoples declaration forms. Some people submitted that late friday / over the weekend. So the invites on the same day might not work in this case as a couple of the people who submitted that back early friday Morning, got an invite late that afternoon. We'll see !
There were a handful of people on this forum who received the form earlier in the week.
Applied: AUG2017
CFSC/CRFSC: AUG2017
PARE:SEPT2018/FEB2020
OTEE: SEPT2018
Interview: NOV2018
Psych: APR2019
Medical: MAY2019/FEB2020
Security: MAY2019
Sec. Interview: AUG2019
OITP - Online Facilitated Training: TBD
OITP - Rigaud: TBD

jadeyorke123
Rookie Member

Postby jadeyorke123 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:24 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:22 pm
AirP wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:17 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
You could be right. But they can't send an invite if they haven't reviewed over peoples declaration forms. Some people submitted that late friday / over the weekend. So the invites on the same day might not work in this case as a couple of the people who submitted that back early friday Morning, got an invite late that afternoon. We'll see !
There were a handful of people on this forum who received the form earlier in the week.
Which could mean we get an invite during the next wave, if we missed this one.
Toronto ON
Applied- Sep 2018
OTEE- Oct 2018
Interview- April 2019
Psych- Sep 2019
CFSC/CRFSC- Dec 2019
Pare- Jan 2020
Security Clearance- Jan 2020
Medical- Feb 2020
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
That was my thought as well. However I still don't understand why applicants like you, myself, or all the others who have been in this process for 3+ years still aren't getting invites. Is there a method to who gets chosen or is it just luck of the draw?
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm

Zepedder wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
That was my thought as well. However I still don't understand why applicants like you, myself, or all the others who have been in this process for 3+ years still aren't getting invites. Is there a method to who gets chosen or is it just luck of the draw?
"A top down selection and/or random selection may be applied at any stage of the selection process."

"Inquiries pertaining to this selection process may be sent via email to: National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca"

;)

Zepedder

Postby Zepedder » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:32 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm
Zepedder wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm
PrairieFire31 wrote:
"A top down selection and/or random selection may be applied at any stage of the selection process."

"Inquiries pertaining to this selection process may be sent via email to: National-Recruitment_recrutement-national@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca"

;)
So a little bit of Column A, a little Column B haha. Thanks for the reply!
ON
GCT2/WCPT- Exempt
Applied- Oct, 2016
Interview- May, 2017
Psych - Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Docs- July, 2017
Medical- Feb, 2020 (renewal)
PARE- Sept, 2019 (renewal)
Security Int.- July, 2018
Clearance - August, 2018
OITP- ?
Rigaud- ?

Boomboom72

Postby Boomboom72 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:35 pm

PrairieFire31 wrote:
I've thought alot about this as well and really thought along the same lines as you but something tells me they haven't sent all the invites yet, seems like too small a number who have confirmed on here compared to intakes from the past... Could be a complete fluke or could very well just be smaller class sizes. I'll keep holding on to the dream haha ;)
Applied: June 2018
OTEE: Sept 2018 (Passed)
Interview: Nov 2018 (Passed)
Psych: March 2019 (Passed)
Security / backround: April 2019 (Passed)
Pare: June 2019 (Passed)
Medical: June 2019 (Passed)
Integrity: August 2019 (Passed)
OITP: TBD
Rigaud: TBD

AirP
Rookie Member

Postby AirP » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm

Last edited by AirP on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:55 pm

Has anyone heard any word about CBSA possibly increasing the allowance (125$ per week) during training ?

______from 2018 : https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-agen ... a-eng.html _________

"The type of applicants that the Agency attracts could be better aligned with Agency needs and the BSO competencies being sought. The Officer Allowance at the College, the mobility clause, and the lengthy process could be limiting the quality of applications received."

"Other organizations, some of which are competing with the CBSA for applicants, are providing higher compensation/stipend during training. For instance, the RCMP is paying four times the allowance, while other organizations are paying a full salary during training. As can be seen in Table 4, the CBSA Officer Allowance of $125 per week is far below that of the RCMP at $500 per week. When length of time at their respective colleges and starting salary thereafter are taken into account, a successful CBSA Officer Trainee is compensated slightly more than an RCMP Cadet in their first year; however, according to interviewees, that the training stipend is diminished by the loans required or the savings that were depleted by Recruits in the four and a half months that they had to spend at the College with minimal income. Through interviews, the impacts of the financial stress during the OITP were referenced, including struggling to make mortgage payments, exhausting savings, and paying out of pocket for moving and medical expenses."

"The Officer Allowance at the College and the mobility clause could be limiting the ability of the CBSA to remain competitive and to effectively place Officer Trainees where they are needed. Other organizations, some of which are competing with the CBSA for applicants (such as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police or the Ontario Provincial Police), are providing higher compensation/stipend during training. The training stipend and the process used by the CBSA to recruit and place officers in regions across Canada have had negative impacts on the Recruits and Officer Trainees, which could result in a less than desirable image of the Agency. Since word of mouth was the most frequently cited mechanism through which applicants have been made aware of career opportunities at the CBSA, improving the experience of Recruits and Officer Trainees could help attract quality applicants while ensuring that the needs of the Agency are met."
Last edited by IronWolf on Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Biznboz
Rookie Member

Postby Biznboz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm

AirP wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:46 pm
Im hoping as well. I get the reasoning for reduced classes but at the same time, they were severely behind LAST MARCH. How much more reduced can you get ? Im just clinging onto anything at this point lol.
I think we are all clinging to anything at this point. It's like that light at the end of the tunnel suddenly got very bright and is slowly dimming. Hopefully by the end of this week some more of us get some good news! I'm getting tired of checking my email constantly lol
Applied - Sept 18
OTEE - Oct 18
Interview - Feb 19
PSYC - July 19
Medical - Oct 19
Sec clearance - Dec 19
PARE - Dec 19
OITP -
Regaud -

AirP
Rookie Member

Postby AirP » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:02 pm

Last edited by AirP on Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

IronWolf
Seasoned Member

Postby IronWolf » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 pm

Biznboz wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm
... It's like that light at the end of the tunnel suddenly got very bright ...
run back, it's a Train ;)

Biznboz
Rookie Member

Postby Biznboz » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:16 pm

IronWolf wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:09 pm
Biznboz wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm
... It's like that light at the end of the tunnel suddenly got very bright ...
run back, it's a Train ;)
Hopefully a train to Rigaud and I can hop on the back! :D
Applied - Sept 18
OTEE - Oct 18
Interview - Feb 19
PSYC - July 19
Medical - Oct 19
Sec clearance - Dec 19
PARE - Dec 19
OITP -
Regaud -

Jamesscobey
Rookie Member

Postby Jamesscobey » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 pm

Anyone know if they are currently doing interviews? I applied thru the veteran hiring process and already wrote my OTEE a few years ago so was told that the interview is the next step. That was Dec 10 and just wondering if they are doing interviews.