BC Corrections

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Re: BC Corrections

Postby OJ Cartonne » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:08 am

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:20 am

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:27 am

Mashing my F5 key.. I couldn't take it anymore and called, they're working on our references.. I guess that also means if we go through for training in December, we'll be getting Christmas off.... The last Christmas off for YEARS!
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:33 am

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:11 pm

This is the second week of the current class (the 5th class), but I am not sure if they will start a new class right after the current class. So realistically, the next class is probably looking at around December or even next year. As for the duration of process, BC Corrections and Sheriff have the arguably the fastest application processes already, since CBSA and RCMP can go from 1.5-2 years, and most municipal police forces can go from 6-9 months.
BC Corrections Member

OJ Cartonne
Rookie Member

Postby OJ Cartonne » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:56 pm

Comment removed.
Last edited by OJ Cartonne on Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 pm

You gotta be careful. This is a public forum that ANYONE can access. I understand it can be frustrating but like ikong said, if you're frustrated now, just wait till you're inside.
It's important to relax and let recruiters do their thing. It's also important to remain professional and courteous at all times throughout the whole process. Even more so when you start working inside.

For my process. I was advised I should be getting my ESS email next week. Whewwwwwwwww.. What a relief. Excited for the next steps!

Have a good weekend everyone!

Edit: next week came early. Got my ESS email 😀
SAR Member

AMC48
Rookie Member

Postby AMC48 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Will be doing my medical next week. Since the light at the end of the tunnel seems near, I have questions regarding OT. After the 6 weeks of training, is it pretty easy (or guaranteed) to get OT? I am just trying to plan and budget out my finances as I am hoping to move out and rent (Ideally live next door or close to the facility) and based off the starting salary ($3500-$3800/month), my monthly budget is almost going into the negative (rent, food, car insurance (young driver insurance :( ), financing a car, part-time university etc..)

With that, I am really hoping to be able to supplement my income by working as much OT as possible.

Currently, the 3 choices I selected are:

Surrey Pre-Trial
North Fraser Pre-Trial
Fraser Regional Correctional Centre (FRCC)

Just asking this cause if there is less OT due to covid (or based on seniority), then I will probably have to make some changes to my plans (continue to live at home and not move out yet, put school on hold, etc...)

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:31 pm

AMC48 wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:37 pm
Will be doing my medical next week. Since the light at the end of the tunnel seems near, I have questions regarding OT. After the 6 weeks of training, is it pretty easy (or guaranteed) to get OT? I am just trying to plan and budget out my finances as I am hoping to move out and rent (Ideally live next door or close to the facility) and based off the starting salary ($3500-$3800/month), my monthly budget is almost going into the negative (rent, food, car insurance (young driver insurance :( ), financing a car, part-time university etc..)

With that, I am really hoping to be able to supplement my income by working as much OT as possible.

Currently, the 3 choices I selected are:

Surrey Pre-Trial
North Fraser Pre-Trial
Fraser Regional Correctional Centre (FRCC)

Just asking this cause if there is less OT due to covid (or based on seniority), then I will probably have to make some changes to my plans (continue to live at home and not move out yet, put school on hold, etc...)
I will try to answer these questions,

How OT works?
Since it is an union, all OT hours are promised to be evenly distributed. That means the ones got less OT hours will be offered OT first. However, the OT hours are reset every year, so all the records will go back to 0 for everyone, and they are all evenly distributed.

Is it easy to get OT?
(You will hear this a lot more often once you start training) It DEPENDS. It depends on the operation needs, the time of the year, or even what you are certified to do as well. At the beginning, you will be put on a 4 on 2 off pattern, which makes it easier for you to get OT then members who are on 4 on 4 off pattern. At the end of the day, you should expect a fair amount of OT (if you feel like doing all of them, because it is not the best task in the world to work a unit for 16 hours, believe me on that lol), but don't rely on them as part of your income. I have had blocks that I was offered OT for everyday, and I have had blocks that I got none at all. You can consider working a second job if you really need to boost your income, tons of COs have second jobs, including myself.

As for your center choices, it depends on what you are looking for. Pre-trial centers are all maximum security centers, meaning they operate really differently than correctional centers. BTW on the safe note, DO NOT tell people which center you are working at (or going to be working at) on a public forum.
BC Corrections Member

noanykey

Postby noanykey » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:41 pm

Going about the two jobs thing. Coming from someone who has had 2 sometimes 3 jobs going plus volunteering. It’s IMPERATIVE to get your secondary job to take the appropriate amount of taxes off. When i had 2 jobs pre covid. The second wasn’t taking enough off and i was working a lot. So income tax time. I got screwed hard. My accountant said its not even worth working a second job. So i balanced it out with RRSPs contribution and then SAR offers a tax credit. So i made money this tax year after multiple years of owing.

So be careful. In other news, i got my conditional offer, CVSA invite, and medical request. :)
SAR Member

ikong0621
Rookie Member

Postby ikong0621 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:16 pm

noanykey wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:41 pm
Going about the two jobs thing. Coming from someone who has had 2 sometimes 3 jobs going plus volunteering. It’s IMPERATIVE to get your secondary job to take the appropriate amount of taxes off. When i had 2 jobs pre covid. The second wasn’t taking enough off and i was working a lot. So income tax time. I got screwed hard. My accountant said its not even worth working a second job. So i balanced it out with RRSPs contribution and then SAR offers a tax credit. So i made money this tax year after multiple years of owing.

So be careful. In other news, i got my conditional offer, CVSA invite, and medical request. :)
That is 100% true and accurate too. However, it all depends if you are planning to get a mortgage any time soon. if you are thinking about a mortgage, then being taxed more heavily is actually thing, because the banks actually look at your tax reports and see how much you got taxed too. On the opposite side, if you are not getting a mortgage anytime soon, then, by all means, max out those RRSP lol

Congrats on the conditional offer btw
BC Corrections Member