Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
singhm
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby singhm » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 pm

Does anyone know what exactly is CTP 1 ? Is it assignments, lecture, videos etc ?
Is there an exam at the end ?
How much time do I need to allocate per day ?

Does it need to be done in a month or you can just sit and finish it in 1 week ?

Z42A
Rookie Member

Postby Z42A » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:28 am

CTP 1 is your application. That's the background check, medical exam, psych test, etc etc

CTP 2 is the assignments and readings. This is where the work starts. Once you reach CTP 2, you need to:
A) Read ALL of the material
B) Do ALL of the assignments
C) Re-read everything so that you can't just answer the questions, but you actually KNOW the materials

Once this is all completed (How long it takes depends on you. You do it at home, online. The time you commit each day to the materials is up to you to manage), then you get invited to CTP 3.

CTP 3 is the training in either Kingston, ON or Summerside, PE. While there, you will spend 13 weeks revisiting the academic materials from Stage 2, and learning the physical and "hard skills" (ie self defence, firearms, etc).

After graduating from CTP3, you report to your assigned institution for 2 weeks of OJT (on the job training), and then have a 1 year probationary period.
M Chinn, CD
CX-3
Staff Training Officer | Agent de formation du personnel
CSC Training Academy | l’Académie de formation du SCC

matthew.chinn@csc-scc.gc.ca

Virtus autem per scientiam.

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:49 pm

I've completed the application process as far as I know. Sjt, interviews, references, ctp1, medical, psych test/interview and security clearance questionnaire/ interview. It's been about a month since my last contact with csc.

Have any of you followed up with recruiters during an extended wait or are we generally expected to wait for them to contact us. I'd imagine it could slow down the process of every applicant was following up for news.

Tia

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:54 pm

singhm wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 pm
Does anyone know what exactly is CTP 1 ? Is it assignments, lecture, videos etc ?

Does it need to be done in a month or you can just sit and finish it in 1 week ?
My ctp1 course took me just over 3 weeks dedicating 2-3 hours per day, some times more. There is a lot of content to know and understand. There are reading components and a series of tests to complete. They provide a study guide to help individuals allocate the appropriate amount of time needed for each portion.

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:29 pm

singhm wrote:

You won’t be able to complete it within a week. It’s 10 Modules and they aren’t short. I completed it in 3 weeks and it took quite a while to go through. You only get 1 chance to complete the final test, so make sure you know the information.
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

Kayliesg
Rookie Member

Postby Kayliesg » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:47 pm

singhm wrote:

They give you 4 weeks. I completed mine in just over a week

JACX
Rookie Member

Postby JACX » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 pm

Kayliesg wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:47 pm
singhm wrote:

They give you 4 weeks. I completed mine in just over a week
That’s impressive! Did you even sleep? I guess it really depends on what a persons other responsibilities are. So, it can be done and you’re proof of that. 👍🏻
JACX

Applied: Jan. 2019
Testing: completed previously.
Interview: July 2019
References: Aug. 2019
Fingerprinting, med:Sept 2019
CTP1: Sept 2019-Oct. 2019
Psych + interview: Oct 2019
Audiogram:Completed
CTP2:TBD
CTP3:TBD

singhm
Rookie Member

Postby singhm » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:20 pm

Thank you everyone for the input. I got the CTP 1 email. I think I can finish it in 10 days or so as I have university reading week starting next weekend and have 10 days spare.

Here is my time line for Primary Worker/CX02 for Prairie region.

Applied: July 2019
Tests: September 2019
Interview: November 2019
References: December 2019
Fingerprints/Medical: January 2020 (**medical still pending, was told to get psych done first before scheduling medical)
Security questionnaire: February 2020
CTP 1 login: February 2020
Psych: TBD
CTP 2/3: TBD

Milzrellin
Rookie Member

Postby Milzrellin » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 pm

Does anybody know if there are any breaks for time between ctp3 in Kingston? Like if the class graduates is there a few weeks break in between ctp3 or are the running them consecutively. Thanks for the input in advance.

miscaware
Rookie Member

Postby miscaware » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 pm

How long after completing all the steps does it normally take to get an email for CTP 2? Been playing the waiting game for a few weeks now, just wondering what other applicant’s experiences have been

Dk94
Rookie Member

Postby Dk94 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm

miscaware wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 pm
How long after completing all the steps does it normally take to get an email for CTP 2? Been playing the waiting game for a few weeks now, just wondering what other applicant’s experiences have been
I'd also like to know. I've been waiting about a month

bulldoglover4
Rookie Member

Postby bulldoglover4 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm

Has anyone gotten an offer for any of the April classes?

JoceWils94
Rookie Member

Postby JoceWils94 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:44 pm

Milzrellin wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:22 pm
Does anybody know if there are any breaks for time between ctp3 in Kingston? Like if the class graduates is there a few weeks break in between ctp3 or are the running them consecutively. Thanks for the input in advance.

I’m going through CTP Stage 3 now in Kingston, my group started on January 22nd. When we moved in there were 2 other CTPs finishing up the last week of their course, so from what I understand they are run pretty consecutively.. Maybe 3-7days in between a graduation and another group beginning if that’s the norm

JoceWils94
Rookie Member

Postby JoceWils94 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:51 pm

Dk94 wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm
miscaware wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:47 pm
I'd also like to know. I've been waiting about a month
From what I hear from other recruits it varies. I finished up my CTP Part 2 at the end of October, and was emailed about starting CTP Part 2 on December 13th.. For others it was as quick as a few weeks, or as long as a few months!

sd333
Rookie Member

Postby sd333 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:37 am

How long does it take on average to find out if you passed psych exam?