Ontario Correctional Services

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

mkjmadathil
Rookie Member

Re: Ontario Correctional Services

Postby mkjmadathil » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 am

I was working as a CO at TSDC. Due to some family emergency i had to quit the job in 2018. Do I have to redo COTA if I reapply for this position.

Thanks

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:28 pm

mkjmadathil wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:40 am
I was working as a CO at TSDC. Due to some family emergency i had to quit the job in 2018. Do I have to redo COTA if I reapply for this position.

Thanks
Your best correct answer would be to call or email H.R and ask for the correct answer.

But, from my understanding there was a number off months from leaving the job where you didn’t need to take the COTA again if you wanted to come back.

I personally wouldn’t go back to TSDC or in Corrections in general in Ontario.

Anyways, good luck.
Correctional Officer, CO2

Meyer88
Rookie Member

Postby Meyer88 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi Fonthill

Please elaborate on why you wouldn't go back to corrections in Ontario?

I may go for COTA (not sure) and i would like to make an informed decision on whether I should go or ot etc.

Thanks

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 am

Meyer88 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:13 pm
Hi Fonthill

I may go for COTA (not sure) and i would like to make an informed decision on whether I should go or ot etc.

Thanks
Ontario Corrections is in a huge Crisis at the moment.
TSDC without getting into to many details is unsafe to work at. If you google TSDC it will come up.
If you wanna sit with 40-50 inmates in a secure unit all day, max inmates with only two officers, Go right ahead. I could tell you right now if I ever had to do that, I would refuse to work for unsafe working conditions everyday or get an accommodation
You worked there, you don’t need me to explain why Corrections is Ontario is in the Crisis that it is at the current moment or when you left.

Meyer88
Rookie Member

Postby Meyer88 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm

I havent worked there. But nevermind.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Meyer88 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:28 pm
Hey. Sorry. I got you mix up with the other person.

If you want to apply, apply. I’m not sugar coating anything that would get an officer hurt or false lead them. Trust me, I want everybody to succeed:)

If you had you a choice. Stay away from TSDC

Good luck to you.

A_C_P_91
Veteran Member

Postby A_C_P_91 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:37 am

Meyer88 wrote:
Hey, I’m sure if anyone here worked or is working at TSDC they will give you the worst reviews. They aren’t fully wrong. That being said, I worked in a unit called the SHU. I loved it. I had a great team, great Sergeants and we did our own thing for the most part. Unfortunately the provincial system is going through a term of favouring inmates and a lot of the wrong people are in leadership roles at TSDC. When I say that, I refer to the people who would make decisions that put you in harms way because it made their job easier. You as an employee are protected by a union but at TSDC that only does so much for you. Know your rights. Know your role. Know this, if you are a young adult looking to start a career, this can be it. Put your time in and earn seniority and pave your own path. I can tell you the overtime was abundant and when I started that’s all I did. I had a fiancée, rent and needed to make all the extra “LEGAL” cash I could make.

I say legal that way because the reality of TSDC is that a good chunk of COs do some shady stuff there. Keen to yourself and you will be fine.

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:13 am

A_C_P_91 wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:37 am
Meyer88 wrote:
Hey, I’m sure if anyone here worked or is working at TSDC they will give you the worst reviews. They aren’t fully wrong. That being said, I worked in a unit called the SHU. I loved it. I had a great team, great Sergeants and we did our own thing for the most part. Unfortunately the provincial system is going through a term of favouring inmates and a lot of the wrong people are in leadership roles at TSDC. When I say that, I refer to the people who would make decisions that put you in harms way because it made their job easier. You as an employee are protected by a union but at TSDC that only does so much for you. Know your rights. Know your role. Know this, if you are a young adult looking to start a career, this can be it. Put your time in and earn seniority and pave your own path. I can tell you the overtime was abundant and when I started that’s all I did. I had a fiancée, rent and needed to make all the extra “LEGAL” cash I could make.

I say legal that way because the reality of TSDC is that a good chunk of COs do some shady stuff there. Keen to yourself and you will be fine.

Great post !

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 am

Fonthill wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 am
Meyer88 wrote:
Hi Fonthill

Thanks
TSDC without getting into to many details is unsafe to work at. If you google TSDC it will come up.
If you wanna sit with 40-50 inmates in a secure unit all day, max inmates with only two officers, Go right ahead. I could tell you right now if I ever had to do that, I would refuse to work for unsafe working conditions everyday or get an accommodation
You worked there, you don’t need me to explain why Corrections is Ontario is in the Crisis that it is at the current moment or when you left.
The sad reality that jails are unsafe for officers or inmates, it truly depends on which institution you go to because that sets the tone on how they run things. I personally in my limited experience would say things are taking a turn for the better but that's my opinion. The money is also too damn good.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 am

Lospollos wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:04 am
Fonthill wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:53 am
Meyer88 wrote:
Hi Fonthill

Thanks
The sad reality that jails are unsafe for officers or inmates, it truly depends on which institution you go to because that sets the tone on how they run things. I personally in my limited experience would say things are taking a turn for the better but that's my opinion. The money is also too damn good.
Not sure what world you live in or what jail your at lol.
Your correct of the unsafe part for the Officers but when it comes to unsafe for the inmates, this isn’t an officer problem. That comes to management. Of course it is our job to keep them save but as an officer you can only do what you are directed to do so by management.

Next time, please do not speak about inmates. You never hear the police union taking about he bad guy they arrested and sticking up for them.

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm

Last edited by Lospollos on Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:22 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:19 pm
Fonthill wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:43 am
Lospollos wrote:

Your correct of the unsafe part for the Officers but when it comes to unsafe for the inmates, this isn’t an officer problem. That comes to management. Of course it is our job to keep them save but as an officer you can only do what you are directed to do so by management.

Next time, please do not speak about inmates. You never hear the police union taking about he bad guy they arrested and sticking up for them.

Well I am not working or expressing myself on behalf of the union so I can express my opinion anyway I want. My institution isn't perfect but we have lots of people leave for cbsa RCMP special constables and come right back so that may tell you something.
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm

Lospollos wrote:
Fonthill wrote:
Lospollos wrote:

Well I am not part of the union so I can express my opinion anyway I want. My institution isn't perfect but we have lots of people leave for cbsa RCMP special constables and come right back so that may tell you something.
Hmmm. Are you ok ?

Of course you are part of the union. Are you management then ?

What province are you from ?

Lospollos

Postby Lospollos » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 am

Fonthill wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm
Lospollos wrote:
Fonthill wrote:

Well I am not part of the union so I can express my opinion anyway I want. My institution isn't perfect but we have lots of people leave for cbsa RCMP special constables and come right back so that may tell you something.
Hmmm. Are you ok ?

Ontario
CBSA:
OTEE - Pass
Interview - Pass
Psych - in process

CO2

Fonthill
Grand Poobah

Postby Fonthill » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:19 am

Lospollos wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 am
Fonthill wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:56 pm
Lospollos wrote:

Hmmm. Are you ok ?

Ontario
Well, you are backed by the union then if you are not management.
And since you didn’t answer the part of you being management believes you are one.
That how management talks. Saying they can express anyway they wanted including putting front line officers safety at risk.