RCMP Members "collective agreement" contract

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CSCTORCMP
Rookie Member

RCMP Members "collective agreement" contract

Postby CSCTORCMP » Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:26 pm

Hi there,

I know RCMP members do not have a collective agreement per se...but they do have some sort of contract that outlines their rates of pay, benefits, how much they get for shift differential, designated holiday rules etc etc. Could someone please tell me where I could find a copy of this contract?

Thanks a lot! :D

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:55 pm

Someone may correct me on this, but the way it was explained to me was that all the RCMP pay and benefits are determined by the federal Treasury Board with input from the RCMP Pay Council. There is no "contract." The Pay Council can hear the input of the RCMP Staff Relations Reps and management, and then determine the appropriate pay structure. The RCMP members are basically told "this is what you get" after the Treasury Board approves/ratifies the Pay Council's recommendations.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:47 pm

That is more or less how it works. The terms are set out in what could be called a contract. I'm not sure where you could find the document. Maybe go to http://www.rcmp.ca and search pay council.

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:39 pm

As far as I know the terms are in policy and that's it. I imagine the policy for us is also set by the Treasury Board.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

CSCTORCMP
Rookie Member

Postby CSCTORCMP » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:59 pm

That's what I thought. I looked all over the web for something related to this but I didn't find any details about what the pay levels and shift differential rates are. Does anyone know what the shift differential rates are for working evenings and weekends for RCMP members?

Federal correctional officers get an extra $2.00 an hour for working between 3pm and 7am and then an extra $2.00 an hour for weekends. So if you are working between 3pm and 7am on a Saturday or Sunday you'd get an extra $4.00 an hour in shift differential. I was just curious to see how the RCMP compares.

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:27 pm

Our shift differential is $1.50/hour for hours worked outside of 08:00 to 16:00.

CSCTORCMP
Rookie Member

Postby CSCTORCMP » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:30 pm

So does that double on weekend hours outside of 0800 and 1600?

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:09 am

Nope.

adamtheha
Veteran Member

Postby adamtheha » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:54 pm

It's funny, that's how the military works too. We don't have a union, but the Treasury board determines our "proper" pay by comparing us to other unionized jobs that are similar, also taking into account the extra requirements of a uniformed soldier. I always felt like I was a bit overpaid to sit on my butt and push buttons, but that's probably why I don't do that anymore.

Pete Broccolo

Re: RCMP Members "collective agreement" contract

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:19 pm

CSCTORCMP wrote:Hi there,

I know RCMP members do not have a collective agreement per se...but they do have some sort of contract that outlines their rates of pay, benefits, how much they get for shift differential, designated holiday rules etc etc. Could someone please tell me where I could find a copy of this contract?

Thanks a lot! :D
Pay:
- while at Depot: nada;
- successfully complete Depot, hired as a Constable and accept first post: start getting paid, at about $37,000/year;
- successfully complete first 6 months of field training/probation: pay boosted up to about $49,000/year;
- successfully complete next, and final, 12 months of probation: pay boosted up to about $60,000/year;
- survive next 12 months and not moved on to another line of work: pay boosted up to about $70,000;
- sit at that level until the next pay raise or until you become a Cpl

Benefits:
- full dental, chiropractic, medical and psychiatric coverage, unless the practioner over-bills;
- up to 5 years of service: 120 hours of leave per year;
- up to 15 years of service: 180 hours of leave per year;
- up to 25 years of service: 240 hours of leave per year;
- can carry over up to 400 hours of leave into the next year;
- $220 of kit upkeep allowance, tax-free;
- if you "volunteer" to be on-call: 1 hour, pay or time off, for every 8 hours O-C, submitted monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or annually, to be paid out, or banked to a maximum of 80 hours;
- shift differential per KL's post;
- free education, room, meals, kith and clothing during basic training;
- overtime can be paid or banked to a maximum of 80 hours;
- term life insurance of up to about $425,000 for about $70 per month for you, $200,000 for your life partner and $20,000 on the buglers;

Statutory Holidays:
- skeleton shift coverage;
- "Junior man prove!", as you will be working them, if anyone does;

Unionization:
- don't hold your breath!

Check out: http://www.rcmp.gc.ca for more information.

Do you like to move around a lot? If not, please do not bother taking an application form.

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby Hoodwinkle » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:32 pm

KL wrote:Our shift differential is $1.50/hour for hours worked outside of 08:00 to 16:00.
Not that I am bragging cause we fall short in other more important areas...but we get $2.00 per hour and another $2.00 for weekend premiums. Funny how to agencies/departments controlled by the Treasury Board are so different in things like shift premiums.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:02 am

Pete you can bank Standby Level Two up to 180 hours, if you're in a small place you can get alot of banked time this way...unless it's busy and then you get the OT instead, which as mentioned you can only bank up to 80 hours. I routinely top up my LTO bank in a pay period and a half, which is helpful to use on those long IPA vacations that I have to take two of a year, otherwise it would be tough to do on only 120 hours of time off. I only wish we could bank more than 80 hours of LTO.

Also, if you are on Standby Level One you get one hour for every four, Standby Level One is pretty rare for GD members though, unless some serious shit is hitting the fan where you are.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:17 am

A couple of corrections to Pete's description of RCMP leave:

Up to five years service - 120 hours (three weeks)
Five to nine years service - 160 hours (four weeks)
Ten to twenty-four years service -200 hours (five weeks)
Twenty-four plus years service - 240 hours (six weeks)

Another notable benefit is our overtime policy. If you are called in early or stay late on a regularly scheduled work day you get paid at time and a half. If you are called in on a day off you get double time. If you work a stat you get double time and a half. If a stat falls on a regularly scheduled day off you get either another day in lieu or eight hours additional pay.

The benefit that we have that exceeds what any other police service I've heard of is our sick time. It is unlimited.

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:55 pm

VanSmack wrote:Pete you can bank Standby Level Two up to 180 hours.
160 hours (i.e. 80 x 2) and that's only in isolated spots. I had to dump out 80 hours before I moved south.

Also, standby level II is going the way of the dodo. Because of the CLC and some concerns raised, I've been told that there will no longer be any voluntary on-call, it will be manadatory, it will be paid at Standby Level I, and that there will be a designated back-up member, also paid at Level I. I don't know when this will become effective.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:02 pm

Mark S wrote:
Also, standby level II is going the way of the dodo. Because of the CLC and some concerns raised, I've been told that there will no longer be any voluntary on-call, it will be manadatory, it will be paid at Standby Level I, and that there will be a designated back-up member, also paid at Level I. I don't know when this will become effective.
I heard that as well from a Sub rep. Although I heard the backup gets Lev. 2 and the on call gets Lev. 1. thanks for correcting me on the 160 hours thing, I knew it was one or the other, but for some reason I thought it was 180. either way I'll likely never get the hours that high anyway.