RCMP and CAF

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

RMAV
Rookie Member

RCMP and CAF

Postby RMAV » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 am

Hi all,

I'm nearing the end of my application process with the RCMP and I would appreciate some insight.

While I'm currently working as a lawyer in solo practice, my plan was always to work in public service. I have prior service in the military as an Infantry Officer, but released years ago to complete law school. I do miss the Army and I've been debating a return to the CAF as a Legal Officer, but I'm attracted to the idea of not always sitting at a desk - an idea which led me to the RCMP.

The research I've done online has shown that many RCMP members are far from satisfied with their career choice, although a lot of the information I've found is dated.

For example, the following thread is quite eye-opening:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17586
I used to be an officer in CF as well and approx 8 yrs ago while in Bosnia decided to give the RCMP application process a go. Here's why and how I feel now with 6 yrs on with RCMP.

I loved the CF, I loved the comaraderie, the brotherhood, the bonds. I was single though and I worked, trained, ate, partied, etc...with the boys, I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a strong bond, unlike no other. But, I was a little bit bored at times, budget cuts meant less field time and more admin behind a desk as an officer. By the time Rotos 5-7 in Bosnia hit, that tour was getting a little boring for sure. I was also hearing stories about police officers dying in the line on duty and I really held PO's up high on pedestal as heroes for what they did day in and day out. Back then (pre-Afghanistan) very few Cdn soldiers were dying in the line and I didn't really see the two occupations as comparable.

I wanted less time behind a desk...boy was I mistaken. I also had this strange notion that the federal police force would have it's shit wired tight in all areas. Money, kit, training, entry standards, etc, I thought the Mounties would be the cat's meow. That, and since I had already put in years into the Superannuation Fund (pension), it would only make sense since that pensionable time was transferrable to RCMP. So I shocked my friends, co-workers, and family, and made the switch.

Depot was a joke, I'm sorry. For those in CF, it was a combination of Phase training and University, closer to university with drill though. No offence to the civvies out there, but for anyone that has CF Basic training or Officer Phase training under their belt, there is nothing at Depot that remotely stresses you out, mentally or physically. It drove me nuts living and 'training' with a bunch of spoiled and undisciplined civvies when I was used to working with professional soldiers. But it is what it is, while most of my troopmates were up til midnight and spending their entire weekends studying and learning to spit polish, I was out relaxing and meeting my future wife. Depot isn't hard for anyone if you put effort in and use your head a bit. You, Willis, would have no problems in Depot.

The CF and the RCMP are two VERY different worlds. The CF is very switched on (believe it or not), the RCMP is not. With Mark S. and VanB as our unofficial spokesmen, well...they don't have much good to say. Yes we are underfunded, understaffed (big time), overstretched, poorly managed, well let's just say we are currently NES (non-effective strength) and NS (not serviceable) to use military terms. Like Mark S. stated, he could write a book on everything wrong (and I could certainly co-author a few chapters). Management keeps telling us that things are going to change, but the jury is still out and no one even knows when the public tendering offer will go out in order to compose a committee that will solicit and consult with our stakeholders with a view to jointly choosing a jury. I think you get my bureaucratic point.

PROS (as in benefits, not our crappy Records Management Software):
1. Salary (you will make more as a 3 yr Constable than a Major does)
2. :ponder:
3. :ponder:
4. :ponder:

CONS:
1. I've listed a lot already. See above.
2. :banghead: Lots of this.
3. :rant: --> Management complaining about their blown shoestring budgets as if policing was some sort of private enterprise, money-making venture.

Long story short, I can't tell you what to do. It's not the world's greatest police force that's for sure. But it's a living, a good living actually, if you are lucky enough to get into a locale and particular job you like. But be prepared to pay your dues...and I don't mean Depot.

And by the way, you guys and gals in the Canadian Forces--you are the true heroes. Each and every one of you. And let your colleagues know I said so.
Have things improved? Do you enjoy the RCMP/policing? What would you change? Can anyone offer more insight into my choice to pursue the RCMP all things considered?

Thanks
Last edited by RMAV on Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCMP QC Applicant:

App.: 2017-02-02
SP: 2017-02-07
RMAQ: 2017-07-05
PEP: 2017-09-26
PEP FU: 2017-11-29
PEP REC: 2017-11-30
MED/PSY: 2018-01-03
FSR: 2018-02-13
Cond. Offer: 2018-02-19
SC: 2018-03-09
Uncond. Offer: 2018-03-09

VanSmack

Re: RCMP and CAF

Postby VanSmack » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:13 pm

That thread is 10 years old, we’ve had three different commissioners in that period. I’m not going to argue that the change at the top has necessarily been responsible for the situation on the front line, but you’d have to expect that over that many years things would have changed considerably. Whether it’s a good place to work or not would usually be a matter of perspective. Where I work I think it’s a great spot, and the majority of member’s who’ve worked elsewhere before coming here also think it’s great. Guys and gals who have only been at this spot think it’s the worst thing ever, the same with a lot of junior guys who work in smaller spots in the area, but haven’t actually worked here. Like I said, a matter of perspective, but a lot of the complaints I hear aren’t so much issues with the detachment itself, they’re issues with policing in general, that people seem to think are unique to this detachment. I think recruiting probably sells people on a vision of what their career will be that isn’t always the most realistic, and given that the Force is getting younger, you end up with a lot of junior members who feel somewhat let down with what they expected coming in the door vs. What they actually got.

Depot is not like military training. Policing is not soldiering. There are several people in influential places saying the RCMP should take even more of the regimental mentality out of their Cadet training program. If you’re walking in thinking it’s going to be boot camp, you need to adjust your expectations.

Everyone’s situation is different, but a lot of what you take from this job will be entirely dependent upon you. Yes, there will be interoffice politics, there will be hostile members of the public and bad media coverage. If you can resolve yourself to accept that these things will happen and figure out how to stick handle through them with a somewhat decent attitude you’ll have a pretty good chance of making a career out of it.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

RMAV
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP and CAF

Postby RMAV » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks VanSmack. Those are some good points. It makes sense that individual perspectives going in to the force will be quite different and experiences as a new member will also vary dramatically depending where you end up. It just seems many current RCMP members regret their career choice - which is not something I often hear of in the CAF... but then again a lot of the information I'm finding is old.
RCMP QC Applicant:

App.: 2017-02-02
SP: 2017-02-07
RMAQ: 2017-07-05
PEP: 2017-09-26
PEP FU: 2017-11-29
PEP REC: 2017-11-30
MED/PSY: 2018-01-03
FSR: 2018-02-13
Cond. Offer: 2018-02-19
SC: 2018-03-09
Uncond. Offer: 2018-03-09