is a Detective Constable senior in rank to Constable

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

lostinTO
Rookie Member

is a Detective Constable senior in rank to Constable

Postby lostinTO » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Curious if a Detective Constable is a more senior in rank, pay to Plain Clothes Constable? if not posted in correct room forgive newbie error

Tango5
King Poobah

Re: is a Detective Constable senior in rank to Constable

Postby Tango5 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:43 pm

lostinTO wrote:Curious if a Detective Constable is a more senior in rank, pay to Plain Clothes Constable? if not posted in correct room forgive newbie error
I will throw one more into your puzzle.

Considering the two you mentioned... What if you add a General Duty uniformed Constable of the same amount of time served into the pot?
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

lostinTO
Rookie Member

Postby lostinTO » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Should I infer since you have added an another somewhat ambiguous term to my question, that all 3 essentially are same ? Kinda of a difference without a distinction 88)

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:15 pm

You know, a lot of times you will find answers quicker using Google search than asking here.

Then..
Why is your first post containing somewhat strange question?
Traffic.. still Rocks.

lostinTO
Rookie Member

Postby lostinTO » Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:59 pm

I spent 5 hours on Google trying to determine the answer my question,,,, b4 heading over to LE forum, to post my question- and waste ur time

In terms of the strangeness of my question, I suppose I was trying not to bog my question down with irrelevant background; which most likely led to a less then natural wording....but allow me to rephrase;

If a member of TPS held a DC rank 5 years ago, can anything be understood or assumed by the fact that today they are considered a plain clothes constable, or a constable. Is that wording slightly less strange :((

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:55 am

Being a detective Cst. is not a permanent appointment in most services, and many services will put a definitive duration on those positions, so while a guy could be a D/Cst. at one point in time, eventually he'll need to leave that position and go to another position, and patrol is always the spot with the most positions needing filling.

So no, the person that you're thinking of was not demoted, just moved on from a position that wasn't a permanent spot in the first place.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

lostinTO
Rookie Member

Postby lostinTO » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:12 am

alright that makes sense, so it's more a functional label of a particular role that an officer is holding at the time. I mistakingly assumed that it was step on a ladder in a sense. ie PC ---> DC ---> DET. If I am understanding you correctly it could be that, but PC to DC is a lateral move? Thanks for explaining that.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:25 am

lostinTO wrote:alright that makes sense, so it's more a functional label of a particular role that an officer is holding at the time. I mistakingly assumed that it was step on a ladder in a sense. ie PC ---> DC ---> DET. If I am understanding you correctly it could be that, but PC to DC is a lateral move? Thanks for explaining that.
There is no stand alone "detective" rank, it would be D/Cst, D/Sgt, etc. One does not need to be a d/Cst to become a Sgt. There is an increase in pay while holding a position with a detective designation, but as I said, it's not a permanent appointment in the vast majority of cases.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby Hoodwinkle » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:42 pm

Does the RCMP call their non-uniformed members detectives or investigators?

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:58 pm

Around here > Plain Cloths, I haven't heard a reference as to Detectives yet. Neither I actually heard the term Investigator.

If anyone makes a reference to what they are is usually RM in Investigative Unit or Section.
Traffic.. still Rocks.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:12 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Does the RCMP call their non-uniformed members detectives or investigators?
There is no detective designation in the RCMP, the term investigator is widely applied to a laundry list of positions, including uniformed patrol/general duty. There's no pay increase for being in a plainclothes position, either, but those spots aren't generally limited duration as they are in other services. There's pros and cons to both sides of the arguments for doing it either way.

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby Hoodwinkle » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:58 pm

Ahhh ok...I ask because I was working with an O Div member awhile back and I quickly glaced at his business card and thinking I was with a ranking Inspector...which I thought odd he was out on a spin...turns out the business card said Investigator....not Inspector!

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:35 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Ahhh ok...I ask because I was working with an O Div member awhile back and I quickly glaced at his business card and thinking I was with a ranking Inspector...which I thought odd he was out on a spin...turns out the business card said Investigator....not Inspector!
My business cards have always said investigator on them, whether or not I was in plainclothes.

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:49 pm

The only short-time posting that I see around here would be GIS. I believe it's of 12 month rotation stunt.
Traffic.. still Rocks.

Rareform
Grand Poobah

Postby Rareform » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:45 pm

VanSmack wrote:Being a detective Cst. is not a permanent appointment in most services, and many services will put a definitive duration on those positions, so while a guy could be a D/Cst. at one point in time, eventually he'll need to leave that position and go to another position, and patrol is always the spot with the most positions needing filling.

So no, the person that you're thinking of was not demoted, just moved on from a position that wasn't a permanent spot in the first place.
Today I learned something new.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”