internal job postings, positions to get my foot in the door

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

gsbkv10
Rookie Member

internal job postings, positions to get my foot in the door

Postby gsbkv10 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm interested in Alberta Sheriff, Peace officer, or CBSA.
Are they hiring internally first, giving the opportunity to their employees?
In order to get my foot in the door, I assume that it would be easier if I get an entry level position in the organization and have a chance to apply for internal hiring. What positions do I have to look for? Any suggestions?

RedcapCrusader

Re: internal job postings, positions to get my foot in the d

Postby RedcapCrusader » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:44 am

Most competitions for entry level Sheriffs, CBSA Officers, DFO, Conservation, Transit Enforcement etc. are posted both to Internal and External Applicants at the same time. Preference is only give to internal candidates should they meet and exceed the minimum requirements and are found suitable for the position as per the Policies the agency has in place.

For instance, CAF Veterans and Members are now given priority hiring for Federal Public Service jobs, however if they are not found to be a suitable candidate - the position will be offered to a non-priority/non-internal applicant.

Make sense?

In short, just because you work for the Government of Alberta does not mean you'll have an easier time or bonus points getting hired as a Sheriff.

Beyond that, yes there are positions within the Alberta Sheriffs that are only available to Sheriffs and so on.
Last edited by RedcapCrusader on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.