Calgary Police Service to RCMP

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

mikey119
Rookie Member

Calgary Police Service to RCMP

Postby mikey119 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any ex-CPS members who transferred to the RCMP. I am a 4.5 year member of CPS but am every so slightly considering a lateral move to the RCMP. Im would love to speak to someone who has made the move already and hear what the ups and downs are. Specifically, I understand that I can pretty much name the city or town I want but I'm wondering what happens when HR starts pushing you for a transfer out. If you have transferred from another service to the RCMP and have any insight please let me know.

It's tough, I LOVE CPS but my wife wants to be closer to family (in the Okanagan, BC) and enjoy better weather.

Mike

Pete Broccolo

Re: Calgary Police Service to RCMP

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:36 am

mikey119 wrote:Hey guys,

Just wondering if there are any ex-CPS members who transferred to the RCMP. I am a 4.5 year member of CPS but am every so slightly considering a lateral move to the RCMP. Im would love to speak to someone who has made the move already and hear what the ups and downs are. Specifically, I understand that I can pretty much name the city or town I want but I'm wondering what happens when HR starts pushing you for a transfer out. If you have transferred from another service to the RCMP and have any insight please let me know.

It's tough, I LOVE CPS but my wife wants to be closer to family (in the Okanagan, BC) and enjoy better weather.

Mike
Who blew this smoke up your arse?! Have you not read on here about Shafting and Impersonal? Good luck!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

mikey119
Rookie Member

Postby mikey119 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:23 am

I read on the RCMP site that your post is selected before you start yiur 5wk of training. I also heard from a 32 year member in staffing that you can pretty much get the post you want or a very close city/town if not the actual city/town you ask for. I also know of 1 guy that transferred over requested fernie BC and was guaranteed at least 8yrs there. Signed some document as well in regards to it.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:02 am

mikey119 wrote:I read on the RCMP site that your post is selected before you start yiur 5wk of training. I also heard from a 32 year member in staffing that you can pretty much get the post you want or a very close city/town if not the actual city/town you ask for. I also know of 1 guy that transferred over requested fernie BC and was guaranteed at least 8yrs there. Signed some document as well in regards to it.
Well, if you can get it in writing, you SHOULD be ok, but I would not bet my marriage on lasting forever wherever, however (so sayeth the guy that spent his last 17+ years here!)
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

th
Poobah Overlord

Postby th » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:10 pm

I have a family friend that patched over from Vancouver to the RCMP so she could live in the Okanagan. They were able to guarantee her the detachment of her choice. She isn't enamored with the RCMP or the RCMP way of doing things in the least, but she is living where she wants to be and also has the life style she wants ...
You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink 'till that good girl sins;
You can even drink an ugly girl pretty, but you can't drink a fat girl thin.

Alberta Blue
King Poobah

Postby Alberta Blue » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:02 pm

th wrote: She isn't enamored with the RCMP or the RCMP way of doing things in the least, but she is living where she wants to be and also has the life style she wants ...
Expect a HUGE difference in culture and organizational efficiency between CPS and RCMP.

mikey119
Rookie Member

Postby mikey119 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:20 pm

Ya it's tough. The only perks is being close to family and the weather. Those are good things but shit I love CPS. Best paid in Canada wicked chief. The people and big city policing is so fun. The lateral is just a thought right now. Happy wife happy life though and I know she wants the Okanagan. So many things to think about. :(