Accomidations for officers with disabilities

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

goaliegibson
Grand Poobah

Re: Accimidations for officers with disabilities

Postby goaliegibson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:35 pm

A.T.R. wrote:So man up and give the specifics of the disability.

Ill tell you if Ill work with you.
take the opportunity Jukka. ATR is about as honest as they come.

Jukka
Rookie Member

Postby Jukka » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 pm

I've been trying to figure out the best way to discribe it. I think the best way to discribe it is that my visual spatial level is high that I can pay complete attention to the person infront of me and still take complete evalutation of everything happening infront of me. A really good way to show what I'm talking about, when I was in school, as part of our psych course, we were shown the Selective Attention Test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

Its a video where they ask you to count the number of passes between the people wearing white. In the middle of the test, a person in a gorilla costume walks through frame. In tests with the video above and another video similar to it, only about 17% of the people taking part noticed the gorilla.

When I watched the video, I saw the gorilla, and kept counting the passes. Out of a class of 75, I was one of 8 who saw the gorilla and the only one to count all the passes while seeing the gorilla

The visual spatial aspect of my "disability" isn't in my opinion a "disability", it's more of an advantage.

As for the other one, it is essentially like Motor Dysgraphia, but is only related to the fine motor skills of writing. I worked as a mechanic for 3 years, and have no issues with doing things that require fine motorskills (like tighting bolts by hand, welding, soldering, assembling small components), but when it comes to writing, my hand gets fatigued really quickly. Like I said in earlier posts, its due to being forced to switch hands. Since I am technically left handed, my brain processes all the information needed to write as if it were going to be going through my left hand, but then reprocesses it to the muscles in my right hand. This is what essentially causes my fatigue. I have been working with a friend of mine whos an Occupational Therapist over the last few weeks to try and develope my left hand writing in attempts to bring it back/to the point its better than my right.

I hope that explains things better. My main concern with this whole thread was my written aspect, but I've already got my answer from an earlier post, as well as talking to current police officers with TPS, Peel and Calgary.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:49 pm

If it was such an advantage then why did you feel the need to bring it up in your query about having accimidations (sic) made for you? It would seem to me that if you felt it gave you a leg up against other applicants you wouldn't feel the need to mention it as part of this thread at all.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Jukka
Rookie Member

Postby Jukka » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 am

I brought it up because people asked about it. It is a "disability" that I have and live with on a day to day basis. My main concern was about the writing, like I have said, but people seemed very concerned about the fact that I had other "disabilities" that would disqualify me as an applicant because I wouldn't meet this BFORs of the job. Therefore if I can give clarification, why not?

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:59 am

I broke both my hands multiple times fighting in lacrosse and hockey. My hands get tired writing too.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 pm

meathead1 wrote:I broke both my hands multiple times fighting in lacrosse and hockey. My hands get tired writing too.
That's mostly from pulling the goalie. Carpel tunnel syndrome..... :twisted:
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Jukka
Rookie Member

Re: Accomidations for officers with disabilities

Postby Jukka » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:46 pm

For a bit of an update, I have confirmation from the service I applied to (CPS), that they have my application, they want proof of my claims (ie copy of my phsyc-ed evaluation), and are able/going to make accomidations for me when doing my testing (within reason, ie extra time if needed). My file manager also said that during training if I need to take notes on a laptop when possible, that shouldn't be a problem. So I'm pretty happy and it seems that CPS has no issue with people who have LDs as long as they aren't too serious.

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:00 pm

*Accomodations

Sorry, that's just driving me nuts...
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:47 am

Maybe not as glamorous as policing, but...
If you want accommodation for ANYTHING come to corrections...

Your accommodation doesn't even have to be health or physically related.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:12 am

Toonces wrote:*Accomodations

:stupid:

........thank you, thank you, thank you!

ArcticCop
King Poobah

Postby ArcticCop » Thu May 23, 2013 5:04 am

Jukka wrote:
As for the other one, it is essentially like Motor Dysgraphia, but is only related to the fine motor skills of writing. I worked as a mechanic for 3 years, and have no issues with doing things that require fine motorskills (like tighting bolts by hand, welding, soldering, assembling small components), but when it comes to writing, my hand gets fatigued really quickly. Like I said in earlier posts, its due to being forced to switch hands. Since I am technically left handed, my brain processes all the information needed to write as if it were going to be going through my left hand, but then reprocesses it to the muscles in my right hand. This is what essentially causes my fatigue. I have been working with a friend of mine whos an Occupational Therapist over the last few weeks to try and develope my left hand writing in attempts to bring it back/to the point its better than my right.

I hope that explains things better. My main concern with this whole thread was my written aspect, but I've already got my answer from an earlier post, as well as talking to current police officers with TPS, Peel and Calgary.
A troopmate of mine also suffers from this. Despite his constant bitching hes a member. And a pretty good one.
"Arctic sounds to me like hes a long time hardened cop. A cop and an outdated one at that"
- Shocktech88

GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby GoodWitness » Thu May 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Toonces wrote:*Accomodations

*Accommodations.

No 20 Year Medal
Poobah Overlord

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu May 23, 2013 10:17 pm

And it took you two months to notice? :smirk:

:D
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

GoodWitness
Poobah Overlord

Postby GoodWitness » Fri May 24, 2013 12:20 am

Nah, it just took me two months to gather the courage to correct her.

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 pm

You'll pay for that.

;)

That's what I get for using my iPhone on this forum. I can't type worth a shit on this stupid thing, and worse, no spell check!

Point taken, GW.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.