Police Contract

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Actionman
Rookie Member

Police Contract

Postby Actionman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:37 am

Hello everyone,

I have a question about the police contract. First of all I will give some perspective. I never really thought about becoming a police officer but recently became interested and am trying to plan for the future. I am currently on the merit list for the military having passed all testing, checks etc. and am just waiting for their new fiscal year to begin in April as that will be when they begin selections. On the other hand I decided to also do my OACP certificate and at the moment am just waiting for that to come in the mail so that I can begin applying. Out of the 2, the military is my first choice, however as the occupation I applied for is extremely competitive I would be interested in becoming a police officer should it not pan out. That being said, here is my question - If I am accepted into the police and after a couple of months receive my offer from the military, is there anything in the police contract preventing me from accepting that offer and switching over? For example, is there a minimum amount of time you must agree to serve with the police when hired? I know the OPC expense is not reimbursed until after some years of service, but other than financial penalties (which do not matter to me if I can score my dream job) are there any legal commitments? I hope I don't come across as lacking commitment, I just know the value of a plan B.

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Police Contract

Postby Bald Man » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:06 am

You can quit at anytime.

Actionman
Rookie Member

Postby Actionman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:18 am

Much appreciated.

opp2

Postby opp2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:49 am

Actionman wrote:Hello everyone,

I have a question about the police contract. First of all I will give some perspective. I never really thought about becoming a police officer but recently became interested and am trying to plan for the future. I am currently on the merit list for the military having passed all testing, checks etc. and am just waiting for their new fiscal year to begin in April as that will be when they begin selections. On the other hand I decided to also do my OACP certificate and at the moment am just waiting for that to come in the mail so that I can begin applying. Out of the 2, the military is my first choice, however as the occupation I applied for is extremely competitive I would be interested in becoming a police officer should it not pan out. That being said, here is my question - If I am accepted into the police and after a couple of months receive my offer from the military, is there anything in the police contract preventing me from accepting that offer and switching over? For example, is there a minimum amount of time you must agree to serve with the police when hired? I know the OPC expense is not reimbursed until after some years of service, but other than financial penalties (which do not matter to me if I can score my dream job) are there any legal commitments? I hope I don't come across as lacking commitment, I just know the value of a plan B.
For the sake of 3.5 months, I'd just wait. 3 months won't mean much change in the hiring landscape for police services in Ontario.
But as Bald Man said, you can quit anytime.
Investigate and educate before jumping off the Cliff of Assumption.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:55 pm

It's Sunday night.

I always think about quitting on Mondays.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

opp2

Postby opp2 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:41 pm

I don't. It usually about Wednesday, 3am.

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by the OPC expense is reimbursed after quite some time. Mine was never reimbursed. Am I missing something?
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Actionman
Rookie Member

Postby Actionman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Opp2 - I made the mistake of stopping the RCMP recruitment process right before the polygraph because I was about to be put on the merit list for the CF. A week later they said their spots are filled for the year and I'll have to wait until April to stand for selections - I won't make that mistake again lol, these government recruitment processes are very unpredictable.

Basketcase - from the Peel site:

"OPC Tuition/Reimbursement

The Ontario Police College tuition fee is $7500.00 and is the responsibility of the Recruit Constable. After five (5) years continuous service with Peel Regional Police tuition is reimbursed at a rate of $1000.00 per year"

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Actionman wrote:Opp2 - I made the mistake of stopping the RCMP recruitment process right before the polygraph because I was about to be put on the merit list for the CF. A week later they said their spots are filled for the year and I'll have to wait until April to stand for selections - I won't make that mistake again lol, these government recruitment processes are very unpredictable.

Basketcase - from the Peel site:

"OPC Tuition/Reimbursement

The Ontario Police College tuition fee is $7500.00 and is the responsibility of the Recruit Constable. After five (5) years continuous service with Peel Regional Police tuition is reimbursed at a rate of $1000.00 per year"

That's a collective agreement with Peel, every service will be different. Some may have that, some not, some may have a variation of that.

opp2

Postby opp2 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:30 pm

The OPP doesn't pay your tuition for you. Good on Peel for doing it.

recceguy
King Poobah

Postby recceguy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:43 pm

What trade did you apply to in the CF?

If its anything other than pilot you'd be an idiot for turning down the police to join the CF
"If you make a mistake live with it......your parents did"
-An unnamed Sgt. Major

goaliegibson
Grand Poobah

Postby goaliegibson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:40 pm

Halton pays your tuition, then takes it off your pay for 3 years...Still paying that bad boy off...