Vancouver Police Board consider unarmed Peace Officers

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Tango5
King Poobah

Vancouver Police Board consider unarmed Peace Officers

Postby Tango5 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:32 pm

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=7590261
Similar deployment models have been used elsewhere in Canada and, internationally, under a number of different program names, including auxiliary, reserve, cadet, community safety officer, and special constable programs.
This idea is a great one. It allows for the full VPD officers to concentrate on the more serious crimes, and allows the peace officers to deal with the low-risk cases.

http://www.globaltvbc.com/vancouver+pol ... story.html
VPD Chief Jim Chu says the team would speed up response times to break-and-enters, and other less-urgent calls, freeing up armed officer to deal with more serious crimes.

Looks to me like the RCMP CSO program lookalike. :ponder:
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

th
Poobah Overlord

Re: Vancouver Police Board consider unarmed Peace Officers

Postby th » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 pm

The Province wrote:Ashley Meehan, vice-president of Vancouver-based Genesis Security, backs the new plan.

“We provide the security for the Downtown Ambassadors program,” said Meehan. “We identify potential problems and provide information to tourists.
Whew, what a relief that Genesis Security approves of the plan. :roll:
You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink 'till that good girl sins;
You can even drink an ugly girl pretty, but you can't drink a fat girl thin.

Madeline236
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:11 pm

th wrote:
The Province wrote:Ashley Meehan, vice-president of Vancouver-based Genesis Security, backs the new plan.

“We provide the security for the Downtown Ambassadors program,” said Meehan. “We identify potential problems and provide information to tourists.
Whew, what a relief that Genesis Security approves of the plan. :roll:

Dreams of Sugar Plums and Contracting dancing in his head

Sumo_CPO
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Sumo_CPO » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:08 pm

This idea (more or less) works in Alberta.

Not that I'm biased or anything...... :wave:
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Jframer7
Grand Poobah

Postby Jframer7 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:08 am

Sumo_CPO wrote:This idea (more or less) works in Alberta.

It does? Where? We don't have this in Edmonton, what police service is using unarmed peace officers to attend break and enters?

Sumo_CPO
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Sumo_CPO » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 am

Jframer7 wrote:
Sumo_CPO wrote:This idea (more or less) works in Alberta.

It does? Where? We don't have this in Edmonton, what police service is using unarmed peace officers to attend break and enters?
Oh, I missed the bit about B&E. :oops:

I was referring to communities that employ peace officers to deal with traffic, bylaws and such in order to free up the police to do, y'know, police work.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:40 am

Report to Vancouver City Council. by: Chief Constable Jim Chu
In 2007, the VPD introduced the Metro Team concept which was endorsed by the joint City/VPD Operational Review Steering Committee, and subsequently approved by the Vancouver Police Board and City Council. The goal was to create two Metro Teams, each comprised of 14 Constables and one Sergeant, deployed on a 4-on/4-off schedule. The Metro Teams were designed to be highly mobile uniform patrol resources deployable city-wide, seven days per week in the areas of the city experiencing the greatest demand for service. The result would be to fill service gaps that occur during activity spikes and smooth out daily fluctuations in the activity level by district.

The implementation of Metro Teams would lead to significant efficiency and performance gains in various aspects of VPD patrol operations. The 30 Metro Team officers would represent roughly 36,500 additional unit-hours annually that could be deployed proactively investigating suspicious activities, addressing street disorder issues, gathering intelligence, enforcing traffic laws, conducting follow-up investigations and providing a high-visibility police presence. While the Metro Team is working, the average number of patrol units available to take incoming calls for service in each patrol district would be expected to increase by approximately 20%. With the creation of Metro Teams, the average priority 1 response time would be expected to decrease by up to 42 seconds city-wide. The average response time to priority 2, 3, and 4 calls would also be expected to decrease by 95 seconds, 8 minutes, and 23 minutes, respectively. With the creation of Metro Teams, the coefficient of correlation between patrol staffing levels and call load would be expected to increase from roughly 0.77 to 0.82, an efficiency gain of roughly 6%.

Although funding for the additional officers needed to staff the Metro Teams was approved by City Council in 2007,1 with a phased in approach, budget constraints have resulted in the VPD holding 57 sworn police officer positions vacant in 2011 and 2012, and the Metro Teams have never been created or deployed. Combined with workload pressures, these vacancies have exacerbated the service gaps in patrol and reduced the Department’s ability to adequately respond to lower-priority calls, including street disorder, annoying circumstances, bylaw violations and other quality of life issues. This situation is anticipated to continue and get worse over time if these vacancies remain unfilled.
If you are bored and feel like reading more.. ;)

http://former.vancouver.ca/ctyclerk/ccl ... ts/rr2.pdf
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

moon501
Rookie Member

Postby moon501 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:29 am

I'm very surprised that Vancouver going that way :twisted: :twisted: I thought Vancouver would be wild like Toronto and Winnipeg!!

I do know some officers in GTA that hardly get random gunfire calls ,shooting ,active shooter and armed encounter calls and could count on their hands in 20 years time being officer.

But Vancouver I thought Vancouver would be wild like Toronto and Winnipeg.