Probationary Dismissals

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Re: Probationary Dismissals

Postby Shawshank » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:31 am

Dave Jenkins wrote:
cardz25 wrote:
Toonces wrote: In my outfit, probationaries can be dismissed, and it does happen.
Just curious...are you able to provide an example of WHY a probationary officer may be dismissed?
I can only speak to McMaster U, where anything that revealed that the recruit was found unsuitable to be kept on.

Some examples:
-can not or will not follow instructions
-can not grasp what is expected of them
-lazy
-tardy
-dishonesty
-can not deal with shifts
-over zealous (power tripping, heavy handed....)
-can not pass post hire courses (OACUSA, use of force....)
-discreditable conduct

I have seen a number of recruits that looked great on paper and bullshitted their way through the process only to show their true colours once on the job.

-One could only focus on an opportunity to "hook" (hand cuff) someone up. It was an obsession! He actually begged to be the one to place the cuffs on a guy that was arrested. Despite some "counselling" sessions he didn't change. He was dismissed.

-Another would sneak a patrol car and the laser unit and do traffic enforcement after being given clear instructions to carry out certain duties that he seemed to find boring. Same numpty went and brushed his teeth before responding to a medical call.....because there might be some hot chicks there.... :roll: He was shown the door.

-Yet another needed a nap on nights. Didn't like walking. And.....opened a box of recovered (freshly recovered) stolen pizza and started to snack on it. Here is a napkin and there is the door.

There were some others but you can get a grasp of what went on to cause the decision to terminate. Now granted, a special constable agency doesn't spend what a police service would but both must be mindful that they may have to suck up the cost to date rather than risk keeping that bad apple. If there is the slightest hint they should go then make that happen. Hiding them within the service means that you are most likely simply delaying when you get bitten on the ass by them.
Your post makes me furious; not because of what you have written, but the fact that you had the material to even write about. I have been trying to get on with various services for a long time. I have tried specials, police and cbsa with no success yet. And yet, these jackasses you wrote about got on. And I know it isn`t just a McMaster U problem either.

Seriously, eating the pizza? I would like to have seen it go to a random study group, but even then I think there would be too much liability.
K division.

Shawshank
Poobah Overlord

Postby Shawshank » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:33 am

Bald Man wrote:
"Info on police computers is all ENGLISH".... Unless the conditions are from Quebec! Had that happen recently, the Central S/Sgt. luckily had functional French. "My French isn't all that good, but I'm pretty sure he's not allowed to drive and shouldn't have a driver's licence."

Unfortunately, some officers have decided to communicate on the radio with each other in French. My French isn't that good...so it's kind of annoying. I think that's what cell phones are for!

Your bosses should be regulating that. Should be English only.If they want to parle it should be on their cell phones.

Ya, Quebec is for some reason allowed to input all info on CPIC in French. This is National RCMP database and should be English. If they want to add it in both languages, then fill your boots. But it's not helpful to the Vancouver cop who can't speak french to try and figure out what "mandate" means and if they are returning, and what the conditions are
I agree with you. I don`t know what goes into CPIC, but I would hate to see an officer injured because they can`t read french. (IE, information about how violent a person is.)
K division.

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:23 am

I think it time that the rest of Canada stood up and put an end to this crap. If Quebec wants, THEY can use French as long as they make an English version version readily available (documents, signage etc)!!

I think we all can acknowledge that English is no the perfect language but for the time being it is the accepted language for a number of things and is the most widely used globally. Crap, it has become an official language in many countries where it is not the mother tongue a good chunk of African nations as an example. So until we create a new global language English seems to be the choice.

As for law enforcement agencies in Canada, outside of Quebec, it should be English 100%. All official information (CPIC etc....) should be in English with French versions accessible. Sounds like at Ottawa Transit some like to show off or simply play silly bugger. Not cool!
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:01 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:I think it time that the rest of Canada stood up and put an end to this crap. If Quebec wants, THEY can use French as long as they make an English version version readily available (documents, signage etc)!!

I think we all can acknowledge that English is no the perfect language but for the time being it is the accepted language for a number of things and is the most widely used globally. Crap, it has become an official language in many countries where it is not the mother tongue a good chunk of African nations as an example. So until we create a new global language English seems to be the choice.

As for law enforcement agencies in Canada, outside of Quebec, it should be English 100%. All official information (CPIC etc....) should be in English with French versions accessible. Sounds like at Ottawa Transit some like to show off or simply play silly bugger. Not cool!
Newsflash for you..... English AND FRENCH are BOTH official languages for Canada. The RCMP owns CPIC therefore it should be up to them to have the information provided to the rest of the agencies in English (or French) depending on the language used. Quebec is a French Province. It has been since it was discovered. You'd think we could get over this by now? There are lots of places outside of Quebec where French is a more common language used than English. I can think of many in Northern Ontario right off the top of my head.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:06 pm

I think ALL CPIC entries should be 100% bilingual. It's frustrating running someone and only getting francais in return. I'm sure its equally as frustrating for my francophone bretheren to only get anglais in return.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm

basketcase wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:I think it time that the rest of Canada stood up and put an end to this crap. If Quebec wants, THEY can use French as long as they make an English version version readily available (documents, signage etc)!!

Newsflash for you..... English AND FRENCH are BOTH official languages for Canada. The RCMP owns CPIC therefore it should be up to them to have the information provided to the rest of the agencies in English (or French) depending on the language used. Quebec is a French Province. It has been since it was discovered. You'd think we could get over this by now? There are lots of places outside of Quebec where French is a more common language used than English. I can think of many in Northern Ontario right off the top of my head.
....I don't really care any more as I have had my fill of having French shoved down my throat. :swords:
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:19 pm

Deal with it. Two official languages. You can watch all of the English tv you want now without having to worry about Quebec. Since you're retired you'll likely never see another CPIC message anyway.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:08 pm

Rhowch eich ty mewn trefn!
-Mahatma Gandhi

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:33 pm

No need for me to get myself straightened out, thanks.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Just thought I'd try a little Cymraeg on you. Sad part is you would get more accommodation in France than Quebec for English speaking folks. Again, just had my fill of it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 pm

I visited Quebec City a couple of years back. My French is horrible, and I was still treated very well. Recently, I've been to Mont Tremblant, Saint-Hyppolite, Lac Auberge du Morency and the surrounding area, and I was still treated very well.

I've been to France where a wait staff member refused to serve me because I couldn't order in French. I was 12 years old.

I know where I'd rather go and spend my tourist dollars, and I don't have to fly to get there.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 pm

Meh. Jenkins must be getting delusional in his old age.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:03 pm

basketcase wrote:Meh. Jenkins must be getting delusional in his old age.
The delusions came during youth. Clarity came with age!
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Toonces wrote:I visited Quebec City a couple of years back. My French is horrible, and I was still treated very well. Recently, I've been to Mont Tremblant, Saint-Hyppolite, Lac Auberge du Morency and the surrounding area, and I was still treated very well.

I've been to France where a wait staff member refused to serve me because I couldn't order in French. I was 12 years old.

I know where I'd rather go and spend my tourist dollars, and I don't have to fly to get there.
My times in Quebec have frustrating. I have found many merchants and food service workers rude. Perhaps that was simply the "big city" experience rather than a more rural setting.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Toonces wrote:I visited Quebec City a couple of years back. My French is horrible, and I was still treated very well. Recently, I've been to Mont Tremblant, Saint-Hyppolite, Lac Auberge du Morency and the surrounding area, and I was still treated very well.
I've had the opportunity to travel into Quebec a few times for work, I speak zero French (even though I did really well in grade 9 French class... I can't remember a thing) and I seem to be treated just fine, I'm usually dealing with Hotels, Restaurants, and the odd Body Shop / Towing Pound here and there.

On a related note, I actually started such a topic way back >>> HERE <<<
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)