Community Peace Officer Level 2

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Tango5
King Poobah

Re: Community Peace Officer Level 2

Postby Tango5 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:21 pm

CPO12136 wrote:As far as I can tell, RCMP Aux are level 1 CPO's. However, they cannot go out by themselves and enforce the same way as a level 1 employed by different authorized employer. That is, they must be with a RCMP member to have those authorities.
Hmm.
Here in BC Aux have Full peace officer status while on duty but are limited by provincial policy. ( RCMP Auxiliary/Municipal Reserve policy )
I am guessing that AB Aux have similar appointment as CPO1 only limited by Provincial or RCMP policy.

After talking to some K Div Members it was brought to my attention that AB members qualify on shotguns, I don't think CPO2 do.
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

CPO12136

Postby CPO12136 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:12 am

CPO 2 may qualify for shotguns because as per Sol-Gen policy, the shotgun may only be used for Stray Animals Act, Animal Protection Act issues (i.e. putting down injured animals). CPO 2 can have these acts on their appointments (i.e. SPCA Investigators). Although if the SPCA PO's carry.

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:51 am

Thanks.
Then... Who knows what Aux are. LoL
Traffic.. still Rocks.

Transitpopo
Seasoned Member

Postby Transitpopo » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:57 pm

CPO12136 wrote:CPO 2 may qualify for shotguns because as per Sol-Gen policy, the shotgun may only be used for Stray Animals Act, Animal Protection Act issues (i.e. putting down injured animals). CPO 2 can have these acts on their appointments (i.e. SPCA Investigators). Although if the SPCA PO's carry.
An SPCA investigator putting down an animal with a shotgun? Wouldn't that be sacrilege to them? LOL

CPO12136

Postby CPO12136 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:22 pm

I should clarify that SPCA Investigators are actually Alberta Peace Officer 2's.

s0258736
Rookie Member

Postby s0258736 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:18 pm

Community Peace Officer Level 1's have a higher level of authority than CPO Level 2's. CPO 1's can enforce the Traffic Safety Act, certain sections of the Gaming and Liquor Act and whole mulititude of other provincial statutes. Some CPO 1's have some limited Criminal Code authority to arrest people on outstanding warrants, and a small number of CPO 1's also have the authority to enforce certain sections of the Canada Shipping Act. CPO 2's can only enforce non-moving sections of the Traffic Safety Act, very limited sections of the Gaming and Liquor Act, and a few other provincial statutes (like the Animal Protection Act). CPO 2's also employed as bylaw officers in a municipal setting may apply to the Director to have red/blue lights on their vehicles and pull vehicles over for moving bylaw offences, but moving Traffic Safety Act authority will not be granted. No CPO, either level 1 or 2, has the authority to enforce the Wildlife Act or the School Act.

CPO 1's go through a six week training program through the Sol Gen College in Edmonton. CPO 2's do not go to the Sol Gen College but are instead trained by their employer or through a private course (usually about 1 week long). CPO 1's must wear the grey uniform with the grey stripe on their pants. CPO 2's can wear the CPO 1 uniform if they choose, but don't have to. CPO 2's tend to be employed by municipalities who don't want their officers doing moving traffic enforcement (Canmore and Jasper are examples), by Alberta Health Services (until they send the person off to CPO 1 training) or by animal rescue groups (Edmonton Humane Society, etc.). The Alberta SPCA Peace Officers are Alberta Peace Officers (similar to Sheriffs and Corrections), not Community Peace Officers. However, they do go through the CPO training as I had one in my CPO training class. CPO 1's are required to pass the PARE/COPAT/A-PREP physical fitness test; CPO 2's do not.

Finally, RCMP Auxiliary members are not Community Peace Officers as far as I know.

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:18 pm

s0258736 wrote: Finally, RCMP Auxiliary members are not Community Peace Officers as far as I know.
Their ID states: Community Peace Officer.
Right above the, Emoloyed by: RCMP
Traffic.. still Rocks.

s0258736
Rookie Member

Postby s0258736 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Hmm I guess I learned something new today!

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:30 pm

s0258736 wrote:Hmm I guess I learned something new today!
Haha, don't we all at times.
I still would like to know what their legal appointment is.
Restricted - I or II. Or some other CPO.

Our BC appointment reads like this:

The person identified by this card is an Auxiliary Constable appointed under the BC Police Act. Peace Officer authority is restricted to the performance of duties authorized by Commanding Officer, RCMP 'E' Division.

The word 'restricted' is somewhat open to imagination as it seems whatever the Chief 'feels like', we do.

Under BC Police Act,
Municipal Police Reserves are reffered to as: Municipal Constables.
RCMP Auxiliary as: Provincial Constables.
Traffic.. still Rocks.