Community Peace Officer Level 2

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Booth
Rookie Member

Community Peace Officer Level 2

Postby Booth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:24 pm

In Alberta, I have noticed that they have Community Peace OfficerS Level 1 + 2. What is the difference and also what do you need for training to get the appointment. How do you get the appointment. As, I am from Saskatchewan and I just read that Bylaw Enforcement Officer in Alberta need this appointment to have a job.

Sk82
Sage Member

Re: Community Peace Officer Level 2

Postby Sk82 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm

Booth wrote:In Alberta, I have noticed that they have Community Peace OfficerS Level 1 + 2. What is the difference and also what do you need for training to get the appointment. How do you get the appointment. As, I am from Saskatchewan and I just read that Bylaw Enforcement Officer in Alberta need this appointment to have a job.
Comparing what they have in Alberta to Saskatchewan is apples to oranges. In SK there are very few forms of special constables/community peace officers. We have them at the UofS, Sask highway transport patrol, File Hills Tribal Police, and the City of PA has some that perform primarily bylaw enforcement. All of the SK appointments are through the Sask justice department.

In Alberta it seems like every small town, municipal district, or county has their own community peace officers. They are responsible for bylaw enforcement, traffic safety act, and and various other provincial acts. It seems to vary from one department to another. Alberta has their own Peace Offices Act that regulate this. In Saskatchewan S/Cst's have a few sections in the Sask Police Act.
Police Constable

Elbee
Seasoned Member

Postby Elbee » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:50 pm

Level 2's are different in that they get 2 weeks training rather than the 6 weeks training at the Solicitor General Staff College Level 1's receive, and Level 2's generally have less enforcement power. Alberta Health Services is the only employer of Level 2's as far as I know.

Transitpopo
Seasoned Member

Postby Transitpopo » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:06 pm

Elbee wrote:Level 2's are different in that they get 2 weeks training rather than the 6 weeks training at the Solicitor General Staff College Level 1's receive, and Level 2's generally have less enforcement power. Alberta Health Services is the only employer of Level 2's as far as I know.
The city of Calgary Appoints parking control and license inspectors as CPO 2's.

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:10 pm

Is there a level 3, or just a CPO?

I know that RCMP Auxiliary in K Div are appointed as CPO. Not sure if it's the class 2.
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Transitpopo
Seasoned Member

Postby Transitpopo » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:35 am

Tango5 wrote:Is there a level 3, or just a CPO?

I know that RCMP Auxiliary in K Div are appointed as CPO. Not sure if it's the class 2.
That's a good question, I know there are certain requirements for level 1. I'm going to guess level 2, however I could be wrong. Unless they require authority to enforce provincial statutes such as the TSA (moving violations) and GLA can't see why they'd need level 1. I'm only guessing.

fozofallfoz
Rookie Member

Postby fozofallfoz » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm

RCMP Aux is considered to be the equivalent of level 2. CPO 1 postings also require a PARE time of under 4:45, while CPO 2 positions do not require the certificate. From what I've seen across the board, municipalities employ CPO 1 as moving authorities (TSA) and full liquor and gaming authorities, while CPO 2 are generally the meter readers and parking complaint guys.

Generally you'll need CPR Level C, class 5 DL non-probationary, police studies diploma (preferred), PARE (CPO 1) and a couple years security experience. Alberta is pretty lucky to have this program, all CPO 1's get the identical training. Even the AHS/Transit guys get moving authority training.

CPO 1 training is 6 weeks at Sol Gen Staff College. CPO 2 training is 1 week law studies and 1 week PPCT.

I know in Fort McMurray their bylaw CPO 1 carry a baton and OC while the CPO 2 guys only carry a baton.

Edit: Sorry I also forgot the mention that the SPCA animal control do CPO 2 training. Minus the week of PPCT (I believe).

copperandblue
Veteran Member

Postby copperandblue » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:52 pm

wrong. rcmp aux in alberta are level one...do require pare certificate under 4:45...encouraged to get it under 4:00
Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. Psalm 10:15

Sumo_CPO
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Sumo_CPO » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:59 pm

fozofallfoz wrote:

RCMP Aux is considered to be the equivalent of level 2. CPO 1 postings also require a PARE time of under 4:45, while CPO 2 positions do not require the certificate. From what I've seen across the board, municipalities employ CPO 1 as moving authorities (TSA) and full liquor and gaming authorities, while CPO 2 are generally the meter readers and parking complaint guys.

Generally you'll need CPR Level C, class 5 DL non-probationary, police studies diploma (preferred), PARE (CPO 1) and a couple years security experience. Alberta is pretty lucky to have this program, all CPO 1's get the identical training. Even the AHS/Transit guys get moving authority training.

CPO 1 training is 6 weeks at Sol Gen Staff College. CPO 2 training is 1 week law studies and 1 week PPCT.

I know in Fort McMurray their bylaw CPO 1 carry a baton and OC while the CPO 2 guys only carry a baton.

Edit: Sorry I also forgot the mention that the SPCA animal control do CPO 2 training. Minus the week of PPCT (I believe).
Pretty sure SolGen has nothing to do with training the Level 2's. Ours were trained in-house after SolGen approved the curriculum. They received their PPCT in-house as well. Two weeks of legal, one week of PPCT.

Otherwise, yes - level 1 is obtained through the SolGen college. Unless you were a S/Cst before May 1, 2007 and got grandfathered into CPO status.
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:15 pm

Alberta CPO level I vs II

http://www.solgps.alberta.ca/programs_a ... Manual.pdf

Pages - 15 through 21
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Transitpopo
Seasoned Member

Postby Transitpopo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:14 am

copperandblue wrote:wrong. rcmp aux in alberta are level one...do require pare certificate under 4:45...encouraged to get it under 4:00
Who does they're training? Sol Gen or RCMP?

Mike137
Rookie Member

Postby Mike137 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:27 am

Transitpopo wrote:
copperandblue wrote:wrong. rcmp aux in alberta are level one...do require pare certificate under 4:45...encouraged to get it under 4:00

I could be wrong, but my understanding was cpo 1's must wear the standard cpo 1 uniform across the board (patches being specific to department). RCMP auxillary has a uniform of their own which would lead me to believe they are level 2?

CPO12136

Postby CPO12136 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:28 am

Transitpopo wrote:
RCMP Aux get there training through the RCMP.

copperandblue
Veteran Member

Postby copperandblue » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:28 pm

I asked around a bit. The aux program is a bit different and I have not found anything to say if it is level one or two. Unique uniform, rcmp specific training...So, who knows. I do know that previously they were S/Constables though. I'd love to be enlightened on this, although it doesn't seem to matter too much. The rcmp Aux seem to fit into several categories at the same time.
Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. Psalm 10:15

CPO12136

Postby CPO12136 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:51 pm

As far as I can tell, RCMP Aux are level 1 CPO's. However, they cannot go out by themselves and enforce the same way as a level 1 employed by different authorized employer. That is, they must be with a RCMP member to have those authorities.