RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with budget

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Tango5
King Poobah

Re: RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with budget

Postby Tango5 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:32 am

CBR600F4i wrote:
Podhalan wrote:
CBR600F4i wrote:All I can say is it's not a good time to be at Depot. 1800 cadets at the peak and down to 300?
300?, where did you get that number?
It's right there in black and white - unless I'm reading it wrong.
The Star has learned training of recruits for federal and contract policing has fallen from a high of nearly 1,800 in 2009 to under 300 this year — an 84 per cent drop.
Everything's cyclical - when I graduated from college in the early to mid 90's things were pretty bad and here we are again - lots of students will be looking seriously at a second degree just because they can't get into the job market. It's either that or start practicing saying "would you like fries with that?"
It is clear.

I haven't read the article prior seeing the number you posted.
I saw Depot Web's post that this year's number is 576 and when I saw yours ... I went - huh?

After reading VanB's post it hit me that you guys talk Average.

My bad.
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

golfdude
Seasoned Member

Postby golfdude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Except that the 1800 number was for the full year so if you are using averages (or number of bodies at depot at any given point) it should be 900. To compare the 1800 to 300 number is a little disingenuous.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Either way, STILL not enough bodies to fill the pending retirements.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

golfdude
Seasoned Member

Postby golfdude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Either way, STILL not enough bodies to fill the pending retirements.
Agreed. However, trying to maintain 1800/yr means you start picking from the bottom of the barrel. Much better to have a consistent 1000/yr.

Mongo
Sage Member

Postby Mongo » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:02 pm

golfdude wrote: However, trying to maintain 1800/yr means you start picking from the bottom of the barrel. Much better to have a consistent 1000/yr.
Really? 1800 cadets going through per year means they're scraping the bottom of the barrel? Sounds like a shallow barrel. I hope this isn't accurate. :ponder:
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

golfdude
Seasoned Member

Postby golfdude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:47 pm

Mongo wrote:
golfdude wrote: However, trying to maintain 1800/yr means you start picking from the bottom of the barrel. Much better to have a consistent 1000/yr.
Really? 1800 cadets going through per year means they're scraping the bottom of the barrel? Sounds like a shallow barrel. I hope this isn't accurate. :ponder:
Just seemed that towards the end of the recent recruiting push there were some real duds getting hired. I realize there have been duds even at the slowest of times.

Maybe it had more to do with a lack of resources in recruiting and they didn't have enough time to be as thorough in the checks in order to fill the troops. 1800 doesn't sound like a lot but to do it for a couple of years in a row you are going to have to be less selective in order to fill the troops.

argyll

Postby argyll » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:07 pm

When I was at Depot prior to the big push we used to get about 2-3 plugs per troop, 10ish really good cadtes and the rest were middle of the road. After I left one of my colleagues who had stayed on said that with the push the ratio changed to 2-3 good cadets and 10ish plugs per troop.
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

ps3king

Postby ps3king » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:31 am

well I sure hope the contracts get renewed come March 2012!

argyll

Postby argyll » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:54 am

If there hasn't been word about them not being renewed then you can bet your bottom dollar they will be.....it would take years of planning to set up a provincial force
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:59 pm

I can't believe that members can just lie like that.

Honesty
Intergity
Professionalism
Compassion
Accountability
Respect

Its the first one!
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:06 am

ps3king wrote:well I sure hope the contracts get renewed come March 2012!
The RCMP renewed their contract with the province (of Alberta) this Friday. The agreement runs until March 31, 2032, with a price tag of $4 billion, including $200 million in the first year.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/08/20/mo ... r-20-years
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

ChrisRobin
Seasoned Member

Re: RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with bu

Postby ChrisRobin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:05 pm

argyll wrote:When I was at Depot prior to the big push we used to get about 2-3 plugs per troop, 10ish really good cadtes and the rest were middle of the road. After I left one of my colleagues who had stayed on said that with the push the ratio changed to 2-3 good cadets and 10ish plugs per troop.

I know this is like resurrecting the dead but after reading that post, I laughed and agreed... I was in the middle of that big push (graduated in Oct 2009) and yes, in my troop I can count roughly 10 that had no business being there. It's like they were pushed along somehow; it was painful to watch. And then you had a handful of really solid candidates and the rest middle of the road.
Regular member, ME-Division

argyll

Postby argyll » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:42 am

ChrisRobin wrote:
argyll wrote:When I was at Depot prior to the big push we used to get about 2-3 plugs per troop, 10ish really good cadtes and the rest were middle of the road. After I left one of my colleagues who had stayed on said that with the push the ratio changed to 2-3 good cadets and 10ish plugs per troop.

I know this is like resurrecting the dead but after reading that post, I laughed and agreed... I was in the middle of that big push (graduated in Oct 2009) and yes, in my troop I can count roughly 10 that had no business being there. It's like they were pushed along somehow; it was painful to watch. And then you had a handful of really solid candidates and the rest middle of the road.
But you didn't tell us which group you were in !!!

(oh and thanks for resurrecting a post in which I have a spelling mistake and some missed punctuation :cuss: )

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:18 pm

I agree with the poster above. I was painfully watching a group of my troopmates get pushed thorough. I wouldnt hire some of these guys to clean up shit off my front lawn.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

Gard
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Gard » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Cutting back recruits is sheer stupidity, no matter what the economy is like. Cut somewhere else but leave recruiting alone.

Give it a cople of years and the RCMP will be scrambling to fill all the Divisions across the country, who will be screaming for bodies.

Same old stupid shite which nobody seems to learn from.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1