RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with budget

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

dataec
Poobah Overlord

RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with budget

Postby dataec » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:46 am

....this doesn't sound very good. Not good at all!
RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with budget squeeze

OTTAWA—The RCMP has slashed its training of new recruits as it becomes the latest in a string of federal departments and agencies to cope with belt-tightening, the Star has learned.

Even under a self-professed law-and-order government, the budget crunch isn’t sparing the ranks of frontline cops.

The Star has learned training of recruits for federal and contract policing has fallen from a high of nearly 1,800 in 2009 to under 300 this year — an 84 per cent drop.

“It certainly is a concern,” said Staff Sgt. Brian Roach, a member of the executive of the RCMP’s staff relations program, which represents the non-unionized rank and file.

“We, clearly, in the force are not fully up to strength,” said Roach. He said the force’s own resource studies show a demand from provinces and municipalities for more RCMP members.

“We still need more recruits coming in,” and every one of the cadets represents front-line officers, not people headed for administrative desk work, he added.

If the force does not sustain higher recruiting levels, says Roach, it means Mounties will “work longer hours, carry more files, risk the chance of burnout, cases are worked on a highest-priority (basis) and obviously the lesser priorities (are) the less worked.”

The RCMP admitted cuts to the number of cadets being trained, but denies it will affect front-line ranks.

“While reducing discretionary spending, we have not reduced our front-line policing numbers,” RCMP spokesman Sgt. Greg Cox wrote in an email.

In a series of written responses to questions, the RCMP acknowledged that since 2009 it has also moved to limit the “growth” of full-time employees through attrition and retirements, and cut back on “discretionary spending for items such as travel, hospitality, and conferences,” Cox said.

But questions about exact numbers went unanswered.

Instead the RCMP’s replies provide vague descriptions of how the cuts have worked so far.

“Limiting (full-time employee) growth can take many forms including: improving efficiencies by employing new technology, recognizing priority areas across the country and moving personnel to meet those priorities, and through attrition and retirements.”

The Conservatives took power in 2006 promising to increase by 2,500 the number of police officers on Canadian streets, which included 1,000 extra Mounties.

The RCMP had been dealing with manpower shortages of 25 to 30 per cent in some detachments.

Initially, the Conservatives poured money into training new recruits and introduced a pay allowance for RCMP cadets.

The peak of the Mountie hiring frenzy was in 2008-09, when the RCMP’s training division — known as “Depot” — churned 1,760 people through the six-month training course in Regina.

But reductions started in the spring of 2009 as part of an effort “to adjust to the rapidly changing economic climate,” as Cox put it.

Over the same time, the RCMP has undergone a huge demographic shift with a broad sweep of retirements across the force, including at its top ranks.

Sources say there were originally 1,344 cadets slated to enter training in 2009. However, the intake was reduced to 992 cadets.

For last year, 2010-11, the number of cadets was set at 768, but in April 2010, it was reduced to 576 for the year.

This year, the number of cadets slated for training is just 288 new recruits.

The RCMP’s Report on Plans and Priorities 2011-12 forecast a reduction in 1,791 full-time employees over the next two years, and $280 million in spending cuts.

But Cox wrote that those numbers also do not mean actual job cuts.

Rather, he said the numbers reflect the fact that funding for the RCMP’s policing contracts with provinces, territories and municipalities “is not approved beyond 2011-12 as these contracts expire March 31, 2012.”

“The federal government is currently renegotiating these contracts and it is expected that this funding will be restored upon successful completion of these negotiations.”

Pete Broccolo

Re: RCMP recruit training slashed as Ottawa grapples with budget

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Of course it will not affect the front-line.

Excuse me while I clean up my keyboard.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

th
Poobah Overlord

Postby th » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:00 pm

So I guess that whole, "the RCMP will be a full strength by 2015" or whatever that promise was is out the window.
You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink 'till that good girl sins;
You can even drink an ugly girl pretty, but you can't drink a fat girl thin.

warden602
King Poobah

Postby warden602 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:46 pm

HI RCMP... welcome to the party. You'll find the rest of us federal departments have been over by the bar for the last year or so. If you guys could buy us a round that'd be really swell. DFO was going to buy the last one but they came in claiming they had no money either....

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:00 pm

Copy all above. All I can say is, man, am I sorry for the part I played over the years in trying to do so much more with so much less in order to keep things afloat. Fight for an association, gals and guys - fight hard!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:18 pm

:stupid:

:(

Mongo
Sage Member

Postby Mongo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:13 pm

Pete Broccolo wrote:Of course it will not affect the front-line.

Excuse me while I clean up my keyboard.
Exactly.

It is inconceivable to me how these buttlick talking-heads are able to recite this sheer nonsense with a straight face??!

"We're not hiring anyone and our manpower will be just fine, thanks. Now move along, nothing to see here."

Hey our manpower sucks too, but at least our boss isn't burying his head in the sand and pretending otherwise, so far. Yeesh... :banghead:
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

argyll

Postby argyll » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:15 pm

It's OK. There's no need to train huge numbers of new cadets because they do such a good job of keeping their existing members happy and content so that they don't leave.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

Depot Web
Lord of the Poobahs
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan

Postby Depot Web » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:49 am

We still have 18 troops on the 2011/12 schedule for a total of 576 cadets. No decrease from last year.
Last edited by Depot Web on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

CDM
Rookie Member

Postby CDM » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Maybe instead of giving upper management bonuses we could put that money to better use lol

CBR600F4i
Grand Poobah

Postby CBR600F4i » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:25 pm

All I can say is it's not a good time to be at Depot. 1800 cadets at the peak and down to 300? I can just imagine the extra 'attention' those cadets will receive. It's a little tough to blend into the crowd with those numbers.

Are they going to reassign 'surplus' Depot instructors to front line policing duties as well? Some of them would be good at it. "You ran that stop sign! Drop and give me twenty!"

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:57 pm

CBR600F4i wrote:All I can say is it's not a good time to be at Depot. 1800 cadets at the peak and down to 300?
300?, where did you get that number?
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:01 am

Podhalan wrote:
CBR600F4i wrote:All I can say is it's not a good time to be at Depot. 1800 cadets at the peak and down to 300?
It's not an unreasonable estimate that if they are training close to 600 cadets in a year (both this year and last year) on a 6 month training program that at a given point in the year there would be roughly 300 cadets in training.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:14 am

Sorry, are we talking about 2011 numbers?

According to Depot Web, not that I want to Quote him here, this and last years numbers stay same. 18 troops.

Edit: Nvm, I just re-read. '6 mo period'. :)
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

CBR600F4i
Grand Poobah

Postby CBR600F4i » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:59 am

Podhalan wrote:
It's right there in black and white - unless I'm reading it wrong.
The Star has learned training of recruits for federal and contract policing has fallen from a high of nearly 1,800 in 2009 to under 300 this year — an 84 per cent drop.
Everything's cyclical - when I graduated from college in the early to mid 90's things were pretty bad and here we are again - lots of students will be looking seriously at a second degree just because they can't get into the job market. It's either that or start practicing saying "would you like fries with that?"