Why Does RCMP Staffing Personel do what they do?

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Why Does RCMP Staffing Personel do what they do?

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:47 pm

Not immediately, but the association will sit in on all interviews in respect to postings to ensure it is being done fairly. The association will grieve any transfers that aren't done fairly including those that are seen to be "punishments". The association will advocate for a worker when his personal situation is being affected by work. Most importantly, an association can help develop a fair and equitable approach to staffing. In other words, set ground rules and then Police the Force to ensure they follow those rules. I think you'll be surprised at how much power an association has when your Force has to abide by a collective agreement.

CO

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:57 pm

I agree with everything you have said above, but knowing the situation, this member wouldn't be any more or less likely to get his transfer if there was an association in place.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

SD_SC1
Poobah Overlord

Postby SD_SC1 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:25 am

CourtOfficer wrote:Not immediately, but the association will sit in on all interviews in respect to postings to ensure it is being done fairly. The association will grieve any transfers that aren't done fairly including those that are seen to be "punishments". The association will advocate for a worker when his personal situation is being affected by work. Most importantly, an association can help develop a fair and equitable approach to staffing. In other words, set ground rules and then Police the Force to ensure they follow those rules. I think you'll be surprised at how much power an association has when your Force has to abide by a collective agreement.

CO
Sorry to go a bit off topic, but this association you speak of. Is this the same one that's in place right now? I know the RCMP isn't unionized, and has some sort of an association, but I was under the impression it didn't hold a lot of weight and it's suggestions were merely suggestions. When I hear of collective agreements, it sounds more like a union.
Sed libera nos a malo.

argyll

Postby argyll » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:54 am

CO is muni so has an Association. VanB is RCMP and so is under the Staff Relations Representative program that is toothless, hence the need for an Association.
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

TMLF
Grand Poobah

Postby TMLF » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:05 am

I'm not with the RCMP, but am of the same disposition on the topic as you all have stated...

I don't know why an agency would not aim to accomodate their staff in relation to requested postings.

In my opinion, a happy employee is a productive employee.

Ofcourse, if there is no position for that employee to go to, then that is a different story, but if a position exists, or will exist, then why not put an existing staff member there instead of putting a new employee there? :ponder:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

argyll

Postby argyll » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:27 am

TMLF wrote:I'm not with the RCMP, but am of the same disposition on the topic as you all have stated...

I don't know why an agency would not aim to accomodate their staff in relation to requested postings.

In my opinion, a happy employee is a productive employee.

Ofcourse, if there is no position for that employee to go to, then that is a different story, but if a position exists, or will exist, then why not put an existing staff member there instead of putting a new employee there? :ponder:
Because they enjoy pissing people off. The worst case I heard of was a former colleague of mine in Nova Scotia who was bilingual but his wife was unlingual French. She was very unhappy not being around French speakers so he went to Staffing and said "Send me anywhere there is a French community...I'll go to the shittiest NB posting that you have just so long as my wife can speak French to someone other than me". They told him to fuck off and so he is now a very productive member with Ottawa PS.
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:46 am

hmmmmmm, where to start?

First of all, there seems to be a bit of negativity being displayed on this topic toward the RCMP (.....Mod's please put this is in the PRIVATE/"Restricted access" side of this site!)

I wanted, begged and pleaded with Staffing to go to Northern Saskatchewan (.......now I'm sure you can imagine how long the lineup is to go there but, I was prepared to wait).

..........my posting - Ottawa.

Went to Staffing and told them I would go anywhere in Canada - nothing.

Told them I would go back and do Training all over again and then still go anywhere in Canada. ......nope.

Should have quit - on the spot.

argyll

Postby argyll » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 am

:lol: :lol:

Painkiller
Seasoned Member

Postby Painkiller » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:31 am

argyll wrote:My experience is that Staffing is scared that if they bow to one member's request then the floodgates will open and they'll have all the members knocking on their doors. I think I've related before how, when I put my papers in, the Inspector basically said I could go anywhere in the country if I would stay with the RCMP. I said the only place I would be interested in was back to Depot as I didn't feel I had finished my stint there (the reasons which are entirely too long to go into here) but Depot came back and said they were full when friends I had who were still there said they were crying out for corporals, especially ones trained in the CTP. Basically they want to remain in control and not let anyone think they are getting one over on them.

Wow.... there are a LOT of good comments on this topic. Argyll I agree with your above post 100%.

I know I am repeating myself (as well as many other RCMP members). But I will tell you this...... after 12 years in the RCMP, I regret not jumping ship to a municipal service when I had the chance.
If you are a member of the RCMP and have less then 5 years of service.....you should seriously consider "badging over" before you've invested too much time in this outfit.

Get out...... Get out NOW!!

Painkiller
Painkiller

---------------------
Proud Member of the Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada
Join Now - www.mppac.ca

argyll

Postby argyll » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:17 am

Painkiller wrote:
argyll wrote:My experience is that Staffing is scared that if they bow to one member's request then the floodgates will open and they'll have all the members knocking on their doors. I think I've related before how, when I put my papers in, the Inspector basically said I could go anywhere in the country if I would stay with the RCMP. I said the only place I would be interested in was back to Depot as I didn't feel I had finished my stint there (the reasons which are entirely too long to go into here) but Depot came back and said they were full when friends I had who were still there said they were crying out for corporals, especially ones trained in the CTP. Basically they want to remain in control and not let anyone think they are getting one over on them.

Wow.... there are a LOT of good comments on this topic. Argyll I agree with your above post 100%.

I know I am repeating myself (as well as many other RCMP members). But I will tell you this...... after 12 years in the RCMP, I regret not jumping ship to a municipal service when I had the chance.
If you are a member of the RCMP and have less then 5 years of service.....you should seriously consider "badging over" before you've invested too much time in this outfit.

Get out...... Get out NOW!!

Painkiller
Why is that people think you can only lateral if you are junior. I lateral led at 10 years and brought all my pension with me, kept my vacation, gave up my rank (a godsend !)

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 am

Your RCMP pension went directly into OMERS???

CO

argyll

Postby argyll » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Your RCMP pension went directly into OMERS???

CO
Yup, it bought exactly the same amount of time plus they gave me $500 in cash and $1200 into my RRSP because there was more than they needed.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:41 am

argyll wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:Your RCMP pension went directly into OMERS???

CO
Yup, it bought exactly the same amount of time plus they gave me $500 in cash and $1200 into my RRSP because there was more than they needed.
Well there you go!

If you are in the RCMP, get out. If you want in, go somewhere else.....trust us.

15 years ago I was going to jump ship and didn't. I figured, "....well the RCMP can't get any worse."

yeah..........

As near as I can see, things aren't going to get any better and in fact WILL get worse.

....the seeds of future fuckery have been planted and are coming to fruition.

Back to your question as to why Staffing does what they do.......we've been talking about lateral/non-promotion Transfers.

There is a whole other, much darker aspect, regrading promotions..........

If you're scratching your head about lateral transfers, your head would explode if you knew about Transfers with promotions.

argyll

Postby argyll » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:08 am

dataec wrote:
....the seeds of future fuckery have been planted and are coming to fruition.
Ah you have a way with words !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bogomil
Grand Poobah

Postby Bogomil » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:24 pm

Argyll wrote:
gave up my rank (a godsend !)

Thank the good lord for that!!! Your tyrannical behaviour would not have been tolerated.
What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.