Why Does RCMP Staffing Personel do what they do?

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

argyll

Re: Why Does RCMP Staffing Personel do what they do?

Postby argyll » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Bogomil wrote:Argyll wrote:
gave up my rank (a godsend !)

Thank the good lord for that!!! Your tyrannical behaviour would not have been tolerated.
I'm a tyrant in my own mind !!

Anyone who goes for rank these days is a fool.....in my personal opinion.
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm

I totally agree. Constables are paid $80,000 plus and often over $100,000 with overtime. For the added responsibility, lateral transfers without your consent, smoke and mirror phoniness, etc... you can have your 12%.

CO

argyll

Postby argyll » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:34 pm

As a constable I don't think of work at all when I am not on shift; as an RCMP Cirporal I thought of work 24/7. I'm happy as a constable !
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:36 pm

argyll wrote:As a constable I don't think of work at all when I am not on shift; as an RCMP Cirporal I thought of work 24/7. I'm happy as a constable !
When you were a Corporal you were technically working 24/7. it's not different then when I was a Cst. in a similar detachment.

Also, living less than 30 feet from your office doesn't really lend itself to keeping your mind off work.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

argyll

Postby argyll » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:54 pm

VanB wrote:
argyll wrote:As a constable I don't think of work at all when I am not on shift; as an RCMP Cirporal I thought of work 24/7. I'm happy as a constable !
When you were a Corporal you were technically working 24/7. it's not different then when I was a Cst. in a similar detachment.

Also, living less than 30 feet from your office doesn't really lend itself to keeping your mind off work.
I take your point but there is a simplicity about being a constable that transcends location. Why you writing your white shirt exams soon ?!!!!

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 am

argyll wrote:
VanB wrote:

I take your point but there is a simplicity about being a constable that transcends location. Why you writing your white shirt exams soon ?!!!!
Are you kidding? The only reason that I wrote the first promotional exam was for the pay increase that goes with passing it. If I put in for a promotion they would likely transfer me, and I like what I'm doing to the point that I would probably hate doing anything else by comparison right now.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

mcdonaja
Poobah Overlord

Postby mcdonaja » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:01 am

And the world is probably a happier place to! :thumbsup:
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

ve6dkk
Rookie Member

Postby ve6dkk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:56 pm

Thanks for all the opinions and viewpoints on this topic.

The member in question did contact SRR representative, was told in short order, nothing could be done.

Members NCO contacted Staffing Department in both provinces, Staffing unwilling to even consider the matter. For political reasons, neither province wanted to step on anyone’s toes.

From a statistical perspective, after seven years of service, there are 9000 newer members in the RCMP. If we assume there are 20,000 members total in the RCMP, then we are pretty much at the half way point with members of less that seven years service.

Change is coming with respect to old school mentality that is rampant throughout the RCMP. It appears that junior members are not so much “Rah, Rah, Rah” about the RCMP, more interested in a balance with family. I have seen a rapid decline in junior members being willing to do VOT (Voluntary Overtime)…cadets are now being paid during training…. the list goes on. Change is coming whether the old boys like it or not.

As far as a Union / Association goes, its uncertain if it would make a difference, but definitely couldn’t hurt. Being a businessman in a prior employment, I am not a big fan of unions, but the mistreatment of RCMP members would indicate one would be in order.

Anyone who has ever taken the most basic of economics course knows the key to any successful business is three components, Land, Labour and Capital. The RCMP has the right location (they are pretty much in every Province), they have the Capital (Federally Funded) to get the job done. The other component key to a successful business is Labour. Now if they would only treat their employees as the valuable assets they are, think of how successful the force could be. Productivity would be up, morale would be through the roof, there would be more interest in the general public to become members of this organization.

One thing I did find funny was on the discharge papers, a question regarding if one was interested in the Reserve Constable Program (essentially fill in where ever the need is greatest on a post by post basis). Seems like they are having trouble attaining adequate numbers of members, so they are looking for part-time retired / resigned members to help out. Perhaps it would be a better idea just to retain trained members instead?

This will be my last post on this matter. I hope that the change we have talked about comes sooner than later in the RCMP. There are a great bunch of guys there, but the old guard needs to either step up and make the RCMP more modern in their management style, or step aside and let the new members with progressive thinking forge a head to make the RCMP not a good organization, but a great one to work for.

Be Safe.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:29 pm

The member in question did contact SRR representative, was told in short order, nothing could be done.
We would expect nothing less (or more - it’s the same thing.) On the other hand, I think many of you would be surprised how much weight the SRR’s have in transfers. (you don't think so….ask them where they were in Nov - “Succession Planning!“)
Members NCO contacted Staffing Department in both provinces, Staffing unwilling to even consider the matter. For political reasons, neither province wanted to step on anyone’s toes.
....maybe, but probably baloney.
As far as a Union / Association goes, its uncertain if it would make a difference, but definitely couldn’t hurt. Being a businessman in a prior employment, I am not a big fan of unions, but the mistreatment of RCMP members would indicate one would be in order.
Way, way, way over due. An Association would be a start as it would be a big wake up call to many in Management regarding MANY aspects of accountability.
Anyone who has ever taken the most basic of economics course knows the key to any successful business is three components, Land, Labour and Capital. The RCMP has the right location (they are pretty much in every Province), they have the Capital (Federally Funded) to get the job done. The other component key to a successful business is Labour. Now if they would only treat their employees as the valuable assets they are, think of how successful the force could be. Productivity would be up, morale would be through the roof, there would be more interest in the general public to become members of this organization.
….an absolute ZERO priority in the RCMP.

Seriously, ask yourselves the following questions (...if you were in Management)

A fully trained and seasoned police officer comes to you and says they are not happy. Who cares! If the person quits….How does that effect your pay? - doesn’t. How does that effect your pension? - doesn’t. How does it effect you in ANY way? - it doesn’t. Why would you put any effort into making someone happy? There is nothing in it for them!
Perhaps it would be a better idea just to retain trained members instead?
I most certainly hear your logic. Again, think back to my previous comments….how does that effect THEM? - it doesn’t.

If a there is a shortage somewhere……that’s someone else’s problem. Not theirs!

We are not ONE Organization. There are many little empires, etc within. The left hand could care less about the right.

…it really is too fucking stupid to talk about. Years ago, at the end of the fiscal year, you would see Sections ripping up perfectly good carpet, throwing out perfect furniture, ordering new leather briefcases (that nobody needed) and the latest electronic gizmos because……”if you don’t spend it, you lose it.”

At the same time, 5 miles down the road you have the Rural Detachments/Highway Patrol being told to park the cars because there is no more money left for fuel!! There would be no overtime to work on Break and Enters - I’m not kidding!
This will be my last post on this matter. I hope that the change we have talked about comes sooner than later in the RCMP. There are a great bunch of guys there, but the old guard needs to either step up and make the RCMP more modern in their management style, or step aside and let the new members with progressive thinking forge a head to make the RCMP not a good organization, but a great one to work for.
This will be MY last post on this matter (this year).

The vast, vast amount ARE a great bunch (they really are!).....however, they are in the minority....if that makes sense.

You only mention two options…..old guard to step up OR step aside. There is a 3rd that is already taking place. That is - “status quo and drive the Force into the ground“. They are accountable to nobody.

Change is not going to come fast enough. The “seeds” have been sown and the roots are, day by day, growing deeper.

If you are "in" - get out.
If you are "out" - be thankful and go Muni!

ve6dkk
Rookie Member

Postby ve6dkk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:47 pm

Previous poster stated no accountability on Staffings part....hmmm,thought accountability was one of the Core Values, guess I was mistaken.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:54 pm

ve6dkk wrote:Previous poster stated no accountability on Staffings part....hmmm,thought accountability was one of the Core Values, guess I was mistaken.
:lol: ...very.

ve6dkk
Rookie Member

Postby ve6dkk » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:56 pm

Hey Guys:

Just want to send a quick update. This member has secured employment with a competing LE agency, comparable wages and benefits, is able to live with his family. There are always options out there for members who want to put family first.

Thanks again for all the support.

TwE@k
King Poobah

Postby TwE@k » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 am

ve6dkk wrote:Hey Guys:

Just want to send a quick update. This member has secured employment with a competing LE agency, comparable wages and benefits, is able to live with his family. There are always options out there for members who want to put family first.

Thanks again for all the support.

Atta-boy :thumbsup:
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers