How does LE affect family life?

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: How does LE affect family life?

Postby IrishCanadian » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:28 am

Danny88 wrote:I would suggest working for a municipal police force. If you work for the OPP in Ontario you'll likely spend most of your time on the side of the road with a radar gun catching speeders.

If you are in a larger center you would likely end up doing something a little more exciting/stimulating.
It's obvious you have a hate on for traffic cops.

So stop trolling.

Have you ever been out with an OPP officer? Even better, one tasked to highway patrol? If you had you'd know that most of the job is not catching speeders.

You must also be from the GTA.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

dira necessitas
Poobah Overlord

Postby dira necessitas » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:45 am

Leeworthy wrote:
Well, in my case, it was personal experience.

And you are not a police officer, so I take it you got into some trouble?
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 am

No, I've never been in trouble with any LEO/Agency. My brother is a Military Police Officer, and I have several friends who are Military Police Officers. Being a clerk, you get to know everyone. As such, I hang around with my brother a lot, and all his friends who are MP's. The common talk with them is just that, how they DON'T enjoy being Military Police Officers, and can't wait to be QL5 trained and their engagement to be up so they can go to a civilian police force I quote "do real police work" I could go on ref to why, but this isn't the place to do so, as it is a public forum. I will just leave it at that.

As I am sure the rest of the MP's on this board, ex and current could go on as to why they left the Military and joined a civilian force.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:52 am

Let's see.....

Arrested people. Check.
Conducted patrols. Check.
Wrote tickets. Check.
Testified in court. Check.
Wrote reports. Check.
Community POLICING. Check.
Fought with people. Check.

Seems like I did "real police work" as an MP. I left because I wanted to start a family and the thought of being deployed to the sandbox interfered with that, the $$$$$ wasn't as good as in a civilian agency, more opportunities to conduct different types of duties, no worries about somebody else controlling my career, less micromanaging.

So I didn't leave because I wasn't doing real police work. Quit pretending you know what you talk about.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:56 am

Quit pretending I know what I am talking about? Yup, Ill get right on it. Those werent MY WORDS. as I said, It is quoting them. Not to mention, not everyones experience in the forces isnt the exact same. YOU may have had the opportunity to do these things, as may have some of the other MP's on the board, but THEY haven't. So, their experiences and views are going to be different then yours. Just as some MP's go on to work in NIS, and some don't. It all differs by posting.

Therefore what I am speaking on behalf of is their experiences, not yours.
RCMP
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

dira necessitas
Poobah Overlord

Postby dira necessitas » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:41 pm

The point is, Leeworthy, you don't go around talking smack about other police services - particularly when you yourself are not part of that police service and therefore have no personal experience. Lots of police services across the country have there own problems as well as benefits, if you get on one you will see.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

zimmer
Veteran Member

Postby zimmer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:48 pm

dira necessitas wrote:The point is, Leeworthy, you don't go around talking smack about other police services - particularly when you yourself are not part of that police service and therefore have no personal experience. Lots of police services across the country have there own problems as well as benefits, if you get on one you will see.
+1
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:13 pm

Alright fair enough, next time I won't mention anything. Sorry if I offended anyone. It wasn't my intention to do so
RCMP
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

pukie
King Poobah

Postby pukie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:40 pm

I hate the Toronto Mapleleafs and think they suck. I never played for them.

dira necessitas
Poobah Overlord

Postby dira necessitas » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Because sports team rivalries are the same thing.

tpspastin#9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby tpspastin#9 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:44 pm

Off Track +1.

Back to the original post. You need to take into consideration the people (i.e. family) you are bringing into the situation. If you have not yet got a partner/wife be certain to review this situation with anyone you become involved with because the ramifications that can arise can greatly impact your career. Not everyone can accept the sacrafices even if they say they can.

Choose wisely!

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Police marriages have a divorce rate of between 60 and 75% depending on who you ask compared to the approximate 50% divorce rate amongst mortal men. It greatly effects the family. Specialty units can effect the family even more as in some units you are never truly "off". Pager, phone calls at home, CI handling, etc... makes some jobs 24 hour commitments.

CO

inlimbo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby inlimbo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:05 am

pukie wrote:Your home life will be affected proportional to the time you spend in a police car with a PW... :?

...and that's with any service.
"Honest honey..........I had a boston creme......" :smirk:
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

inlimbo
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby inlimbo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:19 am

A.T.R. wrote:It fucks everything up plain and simple.

Can't say it any better than that.
Yep.and it doesn't stop at Policing. Shiftwork is hell on Marriage.
One thing that keeps getting tossed at me, through my separation, is that I was never around. shiftwork, and the constant deployments, took their toll on our marriage..............and she knew what she was getting into before we got married, as we were together 3yrs before the vows.
On the flip side, as has also been mentioned, days off are a bonus but, you can never count on holidays as good family time........ Your shift, is your shift, is your shift. Suck it up buttercup, or try to book vacation time.
Smurf shirted Constable Side-kick.

I think that ultimately [women] have to raise the white flag, and just accept us for the emotional retards that we are, don't you think? -Hank Moody

No 20 Year Medal
Poobah Overlord

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

CourtOfficer wrote:Police marriages have a divorce rate of between 60 and 75% depending on who you ask compared to the approximate 50% divorce rate amongst mortal men. It greatly effects the family. Specialty units can effect the family even more as in some units you are never truly "off". Pager, phone calls at home, CI handling, etc... makes some jobs 24 hour commitments.

CO
So, with me and and my wife being coppers, does that mean we're likely to have a 120 to 150% chance of divorce??? :ponder:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/