How does LE affect family life?

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

kolkol
Rookie Member

How does LE affect family life?

Postby kolkol » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:40 am

Hey all,

I'm tinkering with the idea of joining the RCMP (they're badass) or the OPP (Ontario > BC, hands down) and was just curious to see how being a copper with either of these two forces affects life at home. I'm sure in the first couple years, if you get sent up north to some remote detachment, and you're basically on-call 24/7, it can be hellish, but if you're working a nice detachment in the Lower Mainland or something, and you've got a couple years under your belt, do you get a lot of time to do other things, like be with your family, going golfing, coach hockey etc, or does this profession pretty much take up your entire life.

Thanks

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: How does LE affect family life?

Postby Toonces » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:17 pm

I can't answer all your questions but I'll talk about what I know.

Working shiftwork:
It takes a great deal of adjustment. With OPP, you're 12-hr shifts, and quite often you need to stay late for one reason or another (finishing bail briefs, finishing report, hot call at end of shift). Night shifts do take a toll on your family, when you need your family members to be quiet when you're coming off nights. There are sacrifices. You might miss your child's parent-teacher interview, a birthday party, etc...

On the other hand, 12-hr shifts grant more days off. There are times when you can go play golf in the middle of the week. It's easier to schedule dr. appointments, etc.

As far as choosing which dept. to apply for - don't pick RCMP just because they're badass. Don't pick OPP just because Ontario is better than BC. Learn as much about the services as you can before appplying, and make sure you can accept whatever posting you're assigned to, and you can deal with the unique challenges each and every service faces.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Danny88
Rookie Member

Postby Danny88 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:28 am

I would suggest working for a municipal police force. If you work for the OPP in Ontario you'll likely spend most of your time on the side of the road with a radar gun catching speeders.

If you are in a larger center you would likely end up doing something a little more exciting/stimulating.

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:04 am

Danny88 wrote:I would suggest working for a municipal police force. If you work for the OPP in Ontario you'll likely spend most of your time on the side of the road with a radar gun catching speeders.

If you are in a larger center you would likely end up doing something a little more exciting/stimulating.
Danny. Is this based on your personal experience or personal opinion? You know opinions are like.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19

argyll

Postby argyll » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:38 pm

kolkol wrote:I'm tinkering with the idea of joining the RCMP (they're badass)
:roll:
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

argyll

Postby argyll » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Danny88 wrote: If you work for the OPP in Ontario you'll likely spend most of your time on the side of the road with a radar gun catching speeders.
:roll:

If you work for the OPP in another province however, you'll have lots of fun
The test of a gentlemen is how he treats someone who can be of no possible use to him.

pukie
King Poobah

Postby pukie » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:42 pm

Your home life will be affected proportional to the time you spend in a police car with a PW... :?

...and that's with any service.

TMLF
Grand Poobah

Postby TMLF » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:08 pm

It all depends on so many different circumstances...

It's hard to answer as everyone's case will be different.

Shift work is hard on families.

In my particular case, I took a posting that is 600km away from my family...
I visit on weekends, so as you can imagine, it's not very fun... for anyone... :twitch:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:08 pm

It fucks everything up plain and simple.

Can't say it any better than that.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

TMLF
Grand Poobah

Postby TMLF » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:09 pm

A.T.R. wrote:It fucks everything up plain and simple.

Can't say it any better than that.
Well said! ;)

:lol:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

opp2

Postby opp2 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:54 pm

Danny88 wrote:I would suggest working for a municipal police force. If you work for the OPP in Ontario you'll likely spend most of your time on the side of the road with a radar gun catching speeders.

That's funny. I spend most of my time behind a desk pushing paper. Don't make assumptions.
Investigate and educate before jumping off the Cliff of Assumption.

Toonces
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Toonces » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:48 pm

a little more exciting/stimulating = on the side of the road with a lidar catching speeders. LOTS of speeders.

This job is the BEST!
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

dira necessitas
Poobah Overlord

Postby dira necessitas » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:16 pm

Leeworthy wrote:

Danny. Is this based on your personal experience or personal opinion? You know opinions are like.
One could say the same thing to you when you were commenting about the MP.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:24 pm

Or with the OPP, you can meet up with the Muni coppers you border with and have breakfasts, and joint ops.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Leeworthy
Grand Poobah

Postby Leeworthy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:48 am

dira necessitas wrote:
Leeworthy wrote:

One could say the same thing to you when you were commenting about the MP.
Well, in my case, it was personal experience.
RCMP
Application submitted 6 Sept 2018
RPAB - 9 Oct 18 - Pass
SP Received - 5 Oct 18
SP Submitted - 7 Oct 18
RMAQ - 7 May 19
RFI - 13 May 19
PEP - 27 June 19