Joining Winnipeg Police.

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Joining Winnipeg Police.

Postby polarissucks » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 pm

I want to be a police officer next year when i graduate. The RCMP was my first choice, but i really dont want to work in the middle of nowhere. So i was wondering, if you work for the Winnipeg Police service how do you like it? I know the pay is relatively the same as the RCMP. Are the benefits , such as pension and Dental and Vision plans? What are most of your calls consisting of. Just general things about the job i should know. I also want to know where i should volunteer if i wanted to have a good resume to get into the police service, i was thinking of a personal care home for a while, any other suggestions of places to volunteer?

IrishCanadian
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Joining Winnipeg Police.

Postby IrishCanadian » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:11 pm

Post is full of win.

Paging Jim Street. Don't forget to bring the "How to Volunteer for your own benefit" pamphlet.
"Remeber kids, the more you shoots the puck, the more comes the goals." - Alexei Kovalev

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Postby polarissucks » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:17 pm

I am not vaulenteering only to get into the service. I really just want to know your opinions on the force and the following questions I had. I was told by officers to volunteer to get in soo...

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:13 am

polarissucks wrote:vaulenteering
:shock:
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:42 am

polarissucks wrote:I want to be a police officer next year when i graduate. The RCMP was my first choice, but i really dont want to work in the middle of nowhere. So i was wondering, if you work for the Winnipeg Police service how do you like it? I know the pay is relatively the same as the RCMP. Are the benefits , such as pension and Dental and Vision plans? What are most of your calls consisting of. Just general things about the job i should know. I also want to know where i should volunteer if i wanted to have a good resume to get into the police service, i was thinking of a personal care home for a while, any other suggestions of places to volunteer?
Yep....full of win.

If you work for the RCMP you might not be posted in the "middle of nowhere" but that's a possibility I suppose.

The pay for the WPS is NOT relatively the same as the Mounties. The RCMP make quite a bit more. The benefits are good, full dental and one of the best pensions. Go to the site www.winnipeg.ca/police

The work is busy, as it would be in any municipal service.

You should NOT be volunteering to pad your resume. That's all I can say. Finish school and take something post secondary perhaps volunteering in something along the way.

My suggestion is to apply to the RCMP and WPS and perhaps out of Province ie. Edmonton and Calgary. Do not put your eggs in one basket.

For examples how busy it is in Winnipeg, go to www.winnipeg.ca/crimestat and listen to the dispatch radio at http://www.winnipeg.canadatheft.com/
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Postby polarissucks » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:07 am

Whats full of Win mean? And I know i dont have to be posted in the middle of nowhere as an RCMP officer. I am just really conflicted as to what i want to do. By this i mean, which force. They are all pretty good i'm guessing, it just depends on where you want to live i suppose.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:52 am

It's secret copper code.

You just have to ask yourself how much do you want to be a cop and where.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

gotchya
Poobah Overlord

Postby gotchya » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:54 am

polarissucks wrote:Whats full of Win mean? And I know i dont have to be posted in the middle of nowhere as an RCMP officer. I am just really conflicted as to what i want to do. By this i mean, which force. They are all pretty good i'm guessing, it just depends on where you want to live i suppose.
Go where you'll get hired...apply to both.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:36 pm

gotchya wrote:Go where you'll get hired...apply to both.
Or none.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Postby polarissucks » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:55 pm

You guys are pretty quick to judge, always. You know nothing about me. I think i have just as much chance to be a police officer as anyone else. I am not trying to be rude, but i'm going to give it my best shot. I really respect police officers and I just wanted some honest opinions on things. I'm not about the gun, the badge or whatever people think I am. I just want to be able to help people.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:21 pm

Well, welcome to the real world where everyone is quick to judge. Although, I don't see where you felt judged in this post at all.

Why don't you just apply and see how it goes?

As for the volunteering, I'd suggest you not mention that you volunteered because "some officers told you". Volunteering can be something you use as an example in your interviews but the best way to get hired is to learn how to interview well and sell yourself. Volunteering is not a magic ticket in anymore than having a degree or taking Police Foundations is. It's only a small part of what police services or forces are looking for.

ASGPS Sheriff
Veteran Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:26 pm

Not sure if this is true but I have heard that the Winnnipeg recruiters look negatively if you are applying to other forces. That is what I have heard from someone who just applied.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:39 pm

Meh. I mean it's all relative. You have to show real interest but no one can fault anyone for applying elsewhere.

The main question is how bad do you want to be a cop (anywhere)?

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:34 pm

Ok, here's some honest advice.

Pay doesn't matter, neither do benefits. All the money in the world won't make you like your job if the other factors aren't there. Every police force pays a reasonable wage. There are so many other factors that can have an effect on your financial bottom line its impossible to really compare the two and come out with a clear winner.

If you want advice on where to volunteer, go somewhere where you will see the underside of society. That'll open your eyes and give you some perspective on the world that will help you in a law enforcement career. It will also help you decide whether you want to be elbow deep in the world's worst problems for 40+ hours a week for the next 25+ years.

Don't worry about mobility in the RCMP. I lived my whole life in the same house in Winnipeg until I went to Depot. Moving around isn't that big of a deal unless you're attached in a way that prevents you from moving. It has its own benefits too. Not that living in Winnipeg your whole life doesn't also have benefits, they're just different, each with their own charms, you might say. My point is that I just don't find it as big of a deal as some seem to think it is, especially if you're young and unattached.

As for calls, I think most RCMP guys wish they could go call-to-call and pass everything off like the city guys, and from talking to the city guys in GD, they're sick of always going call-to-call and doing all the work only to pass it off to a section to finish it. The grass is always greener on the other side, and a lot of it has to do with personal preference. You'll likely see more action in the city, but also are more likely to experience burn-out. I think in the RCMP you'd have a little more freedom in your work if you've got spare time. If traffic's your thing, you can go do traffic. If its drugs, go develop some sources and write some warrants. If you want to sit behind a desk, oh boy have we got some options.

From the outside looking in, the WPS seems to be a better run outfit, and is far more focused on policing. That being said there are some real downsides that I won't mention that make me not want to work there. The RCMP is more focused on pushing paper around and too many people have long forgotten what the P stands for. That being said though, the RCMP is a very large organization. There are some amazing units and opportunities for the chosen few.

In the meantime, do lots of reading on here and remember you have two years and one mouth for a reason. (Unfortunately, it sometimes becomes all too apparent that we all have 10 fingers)
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:10 pm

It astounds me when people come on here asking questions of active members and then get offended when people make comments in the thread that aren't supportive.

Let me put this forward, I speak for myself, but I'm sure other police officers will feel this applies to them as well:

I do not come to Blueline to be supportive of applicants.

Not only that, but it isn't my job to be supportive of you just because you think you'd be a good applicant. I can form my opinion based on what information I have before me about you. If you don't like that opinion then tough titties, not everyone in the world is going to love you or necessarily think you're the perfect applicant. If you can't accept that them perhaps you should reconsider not only applying, but also using whether or not you want to be part of society because it's a simple fact of life that everyone isn't going to be your personal cheerleader.

I don't have to support you mainly because I can still hold out hope that there's a better calibre of applicant still out there who doesn't need to come on here and ask "where's the best place to volunteer so I can get hired," or "which one will pay me more money and give me better dental." Don't like that? Life sucks, get a helmet.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.