Over time pay as RCMP officer?

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

RyanNS
Veteran Member

Re: Over time pay as RCMP officer?

Postby RyanNS » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:21 am

CDM wrote:Well your fortunate to be in an area that is not non stop, enjoy the posting :thumbsup:
I'm generally not the type to moan about how busy my detachment is, but yea, generally it is actually non-stop. I'm not sure if your familiar with "F" div detachments but to put in perspective after speaking with members in MOSS on our busy days we are way ahead of La Loche in call volume with generally only two on. The cold weather has slowed things down considerably but if you want to stay on top of things it takes a lot of work, so much to the point that i've started experiencing physical signs of stress which are taking their toll. Is it worth it? Probably not, but I enjoy my time off and don't want to be thinking about work on my days off.

Anyways enough about that. Detachments like mine are a dime a dozen across the country and members are overworked the country over. It's really all about maintaining a healthy balance that works for you as an individual.

Maximum_Mu
Grand Poobah

Postby Maximum_Mu » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:27 am

I am in a 12 Cst. rotation of 10 hour, 5 on 4 off, not 24 hour coverage in the Atlantic Region. Our S/Sgt. with a ton of operational experience has mandated minimum staffing requirements without batting an eye, even though he doesn't have to. If someone goes down ODS, that shift is covered by OT from within the office first, if there are no takers, the offer goes out to neighboring detachments. If a Cpl. is on duty, I'm pleasantly surprised to tell you that they don't count, a Cst. must be called in.

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:53 am

Maximum_Mu wrote:I am in a 12 Cst. rotation of 10 hour, 5 on 4 off, not 24 hour coverage in the Atlantic Region. Our S/Sgt. with a ton of operational experience has mandated minimum staffing requirements without batting an eye, even though he doesn't have to. If someone goes down ODS, that shift is covered by OT from within the office first, if there are no takers, the offer goes out to neighboring detachments. If a Cpl. is on duty, I'm pleasantly surprised to tell you that they don't count, a Cst. must be called in.
It's nice when you work for a Detachment Commander with his head on straight and the balls to do things properly despite whatever budget pressures will get put on him by Div. Management.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 am

Maximum_Mu wrote:If a Cpl. is on duty, I'm pleasantly surprised to tell you that they don't count, a Cst. must be called in.
I am jealous of that. Too often the Cpl. is considered the extra guy on the road for us. The same Cpl. that sits in their office, doesn't monitor the radio, and never signs into car. :cuss: