Over time pay as RCMP officer?

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Over time pay as RCMP officer?

Postby polarissucks » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:08 pm

When you join the RCMP can you get overtime pay for working extra shifts or not? And how would that work if you can take overtime? Would they have an extra shift posting on the wall somewhere, or would someone ask you to work? Also i'm from central Manitoba, would i be stationed up North first?

RCMP Recruiter
Seasoned Member

Re: Over time pay as RCMP officer?

Postby RCMP Recruiter » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm

We pay overtime. You can be on call and respond to a complaint, asked to come in for a unit that is short, stay late to work on an incident or attend court on your day off. Some areas also have extra duty overtime that you can sign up for.

Joining the RCMP means that you are willing to serve anywhere in Canada. You could end up back in Manitoba or any place else. If you do end up in Manitoba at least part of your career will be spent up north somewhere.

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Postby Hoodwinkle » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:31 pm

So VOT has gone the wayside?

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:So VOT has gone the wayside?
Don't get us started.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:56 pm

It depends on where you are, very few places in the RCMP will pay someone overtime to cover a shift.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

th
Poobah Overlord

Postby th » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:37 pm

You're supposed to serve with pride and be humbled that you get to wear the uniform of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. You should almost have to pay them for that supreme honour.

88)

Now that we're all swimming hip-deep in cow dung, we can return to our previously scheduled thread.
You can drink a shy girl crazy, you can drink 'till that good girl sins;
You can even drink an ugly girl pretty, but you can't drink a fat girl thin.

Mac44

Postby Mac44 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Mark S wrote:It depends on where you are, very few places in the RCMP will pay someone overtime to cover a shift.
Is it part of your salary to cover a shift or do you just get paid regular time not the OT?
RPAT DEC 21/08 Passed 3.8
Pare Jan 16/09 3:07 Passed
Vision Jan 28/09 Passed
Package Sent Jan 31/09
RMSI March 13/09 Passed
Poly March 29/09
Background May 14/09
Pare #3 Nov 19 3:01
Security Cleared
Troop # 34 Jan 17 - July 5

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Mac44 wrote:
Mark S wrote:It depends on where you are, very few places in the RCMP will pay someone overtime to cover a shift.
Is it part of your salary to cover a shift or do you just get paid regular time not the OT?
Most RCMP detachments aren't large enough to support "shifts" of large numbers of cops patrolling where you would be required to pick up extra shifts to cover shortages like people calling in sick. Aside from the Lower Mainland in BC, a handful of detachments in Alberta maybe, and possibly Moncton and a couple of spots around Halifax, most RCMP detachments simply don't have the bodies to run a platoon system. Any shift you are picking up beyond your regular 40 hours a week is paid as overtime, the rate is dependent upon what you were scheduled to do that day. If you were scheduled to work a shift and worked some hours in addition to that shift you will get 1.5x your regular rate. If you are on a dayoff you will get 2x your regular rate.

Most of the smaller detachments will simply run business as usual without anyone covering someone off sick or whatever. If they need a second member they will likely have someone be on call until he's actually required to go to a call.
When people get too chummy with me, I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don’t really care about them.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:52 pm

polarissucks wrote:When you join the RCMP can you get overtime pay for working extra shifts or not? And how would that work if you can take overtime? Would they have an extra shift posting on the wall somewhere, or would someone ask you to work? Also i'm from central Manitoba, would i be stationed up North first?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no - just coming in and working on stuff of your own volition will USUALLY **not** qualify for PAID overtime, but you are certainly welcome to "donate" that time, thank you very much.

"...if you can TAKE overtime?", its more like, if you are in the middle of working on something, and can NOT just leave it, USUALLY you will be able to claim it for payment or banking of time, but NOT always.

Posted on a wall somewhere? Not likely. ASK you? Probably more like TELLS you, or there IS no one else, and it is JUST you.

You currently LIVE in Manitoba? I will check my comments, but Mark S, please, fire a volley at the young man...but, try to be gentle!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

KL
Poobah Overlord

Postby KL » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:36 pm

VanB wrote:
Mac44 wrote:Most RCMP detachments aren't large enough to support "shifts" of large numbers of cops patrolling where you would be required to pick up extra shifts to cover shortages like people calling in sick. Aside from the Lower Mainland in BC, a handful of detachments in Alberta maybe, and possibly Moncton and a couple of spots around Halifax, most RCMP detachments simply don't have the bodies to run a platoon system.
VanB - You're almost making it sound like Palango knows what he is talking about, saying we are the police of the boonies!

Actually, there are lots of detachments in BC outside of the LMD that provide 24 hour coverage and use the watch (platoon) system - Kamloops, Kelowna, Prince George, Nanaimo, Courtney, Port Alberni, Terrace, Prince Rupert, Duncan to name a few. I think Kamloops is running with about 15 on a watch these days, although like any place you would rarely see the full crew on due to leave, training, court, etc. It doesn't happen all the time but these places do have minimum staffing levels and will crack open the vault to call someone in on OT if necessary. Hard to believe in Dirty D I know!

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:54 pm

Selkirk, Portage, Thompson, The Pas, and maybe Dauphin are the only detachments (that I'm aware of) in D that run a watch system. Selkirk will call in guys on OT to cover shifts, but they are the only detachment in D that I'm aware of that will do that. Everywhere else, if someone is sick, then you run short a body. If you run short to the point that no one is on duty, well so be it, someone's put on call. No, its not a good system, yes it burns people out and puts people at risk, but few things are done right in this outfit.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

VanSmack

Postby VanSmack » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:22 pm

I should clarify, there are obviously other places than those I mentioned where there are what could basically be described as a "watch system" Yellowknife, Iqaluit and Whitehorse all have this. What I was describing was a place more like what Mark was getting at where they will actually have a minimum staffing level for a watch and call additional people in on OT to cover shortages. More often than not they will leave the shortages as is with members on call to pick up the slack and respond to calls when the reports get to be too much for the handful of guys left to handle. Iqaluit for example frequently is running with 1 or 2 constables on duty for a watch because the staffing levels there are so pitifully short.

It's reactive policing over proactive policing at it's best. You go to a call, deal with whatever happens and then spend the time until you go to the next time chained to a computer trying to catch up on all the paperwork until the next call comes in. There is no time for patrolling unless you are looking for something specific, and there is next to no time for any initiatives by the front line constables aimed at reducing crime unless it was dreamed up by someone higher up who can order the road guys to go do it despite the fact that everyone is already horribly overburdened.

CDM
Rookie Member

Postby CDM » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:41 pm

VOT lol ya, my trainer mentioned that when I first started, my response was, if I am working I am getting payed, if overtime is not approved then I do not come in.

RyanNS
Veteran Member

Postby RyanNS » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:37 am

Outside my first few months where I would come in to work on the 40 questions, CAPRA project etc. i've never done any VOT and honestly I never feel the need to. I make sure I tie up all loose ends before quitting time that day and if a continuing duty keeps me at the office late I certainly claim it. For any extra duties performed on my days off PMB meetings, community involvement our det. commander has no issue paying hours or with us banking the time.

As for others I can't say the same, I often see a few in on their days off trying to play catch up, get court packs ready for the next day, complete 1393's, you name it etc.

I wouldn't say that VOT itself is expected in my detachment but some members certainly perform a fair bit of it for whatever reason.

CDM
Rookie Member

Postby CDM » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:39 pm

Well your fortunate to be in an area that is not non stop, enjoy the posting :thumbsup: