RCMP Questions

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Hoodwinkle
Poobah Overlord

Re: RCMP Questions

Postby Hoodwinkle » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:59 pm

haha...I think we hit a milestone here today! Gard showed some emotion by using a "LOL" emoticon. :smirk:

marcus
Grand Poobah

Postby marcus » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:12 am

Willis -

I never post in the public forums but for you, I've made an exception.

I used to be an officer in CF as well and approx 8 yrs ago while in Bosnia decided to give the RCMP application process a go. Here's why and how I feel now with 6 yrs on with RCMP.

I loved the CF, I loved the comaraderie, the brotherhood, the bonds. I was single though and I worked, trained, ate, partied, etc...with the boys, I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a strong bond, unlike no other. But, I was a little bit bored at times, budget cuts meant less field time and more admin behind a desk as an officer. By the time Rotos 5-7 in Bosnia hit, that tour was getting a little boring for sure. I was also hearing stories about police officers dying in the line on duty and I really held PO's up high on pedestal as heroes for what they did day in and day out. Back then (pre-Afghanistan) very few Cdn soldiers were dying in the line and I didn't really see the two occupations as comparable.

I wanted less time behind a desk...boy was I mistaken. I also had this strange notion that the federal police force would have it's shit wired tight in all areas. Money, kit, training, entry standards, etc, I thought the Mounties would be the cat's meow. That, and since I had already put in years into the Superannuation Fund (pension), it would only make sense since that pensionable time was transferrable to RCMP. So I shocked my friends, co-workers, and family, and made the switch.

Depot was a joke, I'm sorry. For those in CF, it was a combination of Phase training and University, closer to university with drill though. No offence to the civvies out there, but for anyone that has CF Basic training or Officer Phase training under their belt, there is nothing at Depot that remotely stresses you out, mentally or physically. It drove me nuts living and 'training' with a bunch of spoiled and undisciplined civvies when I was used to working with professional soldiers. But it is what it is, while most of my troopmates were up til midnight and spending their entire weekends studying and learning to spit polish, I was out relaxing and meeting my future wife. Depot isn't hard for anyone if you put effort in and use your head a bit. You, Willis, would have no problems in Depot.

The CF and the RCMP are two VERY different worlds. The CF is very switched on (believe it or not), the RCMP is not. With Mark S. and VanB as our unofficial spokesmen, well...they don't have much good to say. Yes we are underfunded, understaffed (big time), overstretched, poorly managed, well let's just say we are currently NES (non-effective strength) and NS (not serviceable) to use military terms. Like Mark S. stated, he could write a book on everything wrong (and I could certainly co-author a few chapters). Management keeps telling us that things are going to change, but the jury is still out and no one even knows when the public tendering offer will go out in order to compose a committee that will solicit and consult with our stakeholders with a view to jointly choosing a jury. I think you get my bureaucratic point.

PROS (as in benefits, not our crappy Records Management Software):
1. Salary (you will make more as a 3 yr Constable than a Major does)
2. :ponder:
3. :ponder:
4. :ponder:

CONS:
1. I've listed a lot already. See above.
2. :banghead: Lots of this.
3. :rant: --> Management complaining about their blown shoestring budgets as if policing was some sort of private enterprise, money-making venture.

Long story short, I can't tell you what to do. It's not the world's greatest police force that's for sure. But it's a living, a good living actually, if you are lucky enough to get into a locale and particular job you like. But be prepared to pay your dues...and I don't mean Depot.

And by the way, you guys and gals in the Canadian Forces--you are the true heroes. Each and every one of you. And let your colleagues know I said so.

dira necessitas
Poobah Overlord

Postby dira necessitas » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks Marcus. Stay safe.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Gipper
King Poobah

Postby Gipper » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Willis wrote:Do you enjoy working as a police officer? Is it what you expected upon entering the force? Would you change anything?
Generally yes. I'm in ediv where we're not quite as dysfuntional as some of the other divisions. I was in an RCMP family growing up so I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into. I actually had the chance to do a lot of police work at my first posting and for most of the time my immediate superiors were always trying to figure out ways to cut through the red-tape BS that permeates this organization. I was lucky to start off with excellent co-workers and NCOs. We got more duds as the years went on and I realize now my first couple years were an exceptional experience. Regarding change; I think everyone knows what has to be changed it's just a question of if the organization can actually make it happen. I doubt it can. I have less than zero faith in the current commissioner and with the media and public the way it is right now we're very defensive and insular.
Do you find yourself required to move around a lot? Do you enjoy working in your current location?
I moved once after about four years of service. I could probably remain in my current job for ten years if I wanted to. I've been lucky with postings; my first post was probably the best LDP (hardship post) in BC (and shouldn't be an LDP) and I got to return home for my second posting and go to a section.
Did you enjoy the training at depot? Was the experience something you went in expecting?
It would've been fun if it weren't for the minor but constant stress of knowing you only got two tries at anything. It was easier than I thought it would be and I would like to see the physical standards and skills components increased and some of the touchy feely stuff removed. The physical "benchmarks" should be the pass/fail standard, not some nebulous and meaningless goal. The only real physical standard is a sub 4:00 PARE.
Do you find being a police officer affects your home life in a negative way?
Depends where you are. Not where I've been. I have way more free time now than before when I was working full-time and going to university. I will never go to a small place because I have no interest in making this job my life nor do I feel safe having backup so far away.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:24 pm

marcus wrote:Willis -

I never post in the public forums but for you, I've made an exception.

I used to be an officer in CF as well and approx 8 yrs ago while in Bosnia decided to give the RCMP application process a go. Here's why and how I feel now with 6 yrs on with RCMP.

I loved the CF, I loved the comaraderie, the brotherhood, the bonds. I was single though and I worked, trained, ate, partied, etc...with the boys, I'm sure you know what I mean. It's a strong bond, unlike no other. But, I was a little bit bored at times, budget cuts meant less field time and more admin behind a desk as an officer. By the time Rotos 5-7 in Bosnia hit, that tour was getting a little boring for sure. I was also hearing stories about police officers dying in the line on duty and I really held PO's up high on pedestal as heroes for what they did day in and day out. Back then (pre-Afghanistan) very few Cdn soldiers were dying in the line and I didn't really see the two occupations as comparable.

I wanted less time behind a desk...boy was I mistaken. I also had this strange notion that the federal police force would have it's shit wired tight in all areas. Money, kit, training, entry standards, etc, I thought the Mounties would be the cat's meow. That, and since I had already put in years into the Superannuation Fund (pension), it would only make sense since that pensionable time was transferrable to RCMP. So I shocked my friends, co-workers, and family, and made the switch.

Depot was a joke, I'm sorry. For those in CF, it was a combination of Phase training and University, closer to university with drill though. No offence to the civvies out there, but for anyone that has CF Basic training or Officer Phase training under their belt, there is nothing at Depot that remotely stresses you out, mentally or physically. It drove me nuts living and 'training' with a bunch of spoiled and undisciplined civvies when I was used to working with professional soldiers. But it is what it is, while most of my troopmates were up til midnight and spending their entire weekends studying and learning to spit polish, I was out relaxing and meeting my future wife. Depot isn't hard for anyone if you put effort in and use your head a bit. You, Willis, would have no problems in Depot.

The CF and the RCMP are two VERY different worlds. The CF is very switched on (believe it or not), the RCMP is not. With Mark S. and VanB as our unofficial spokesmen, well...they don't have much good to say. Yes we are underfunded, understaffed (big time), overstretched, poorly managed, well let's just say we are currently NES (non-effective strength) and NS (not serviceable) to use military terms. Like Mark S. stated, he could write a book on everything wrong (and I could certainly co-author a few chapters). Management keeps telling us that things are going to change, but the jury is still out and no one even knows when the public tendering offer will go out in order to compose a committee that will solicit and consult with our stakeholders with a view to jointly choosing a jury. I think you get my bureaucratic point.

PROS (as in benefits, not our crappy Records Management Software):
1. Salary (you will make more as a 3 yr Constable than a Major does)
2. :ponder:
3. :ponder:
4. :ponder:

CONS:
1. I've listed a lot already. See above.
2. :banghead: Lots of this.
3. :rant: --> Management complaining about their blown shoestring budgets as if policing was some sort of private enterprise, money-making venture.

Long story short, I can't tell you what to do. It's not the world's greatest police force that's for sure. But it's a living, a good living actually, if you are lucky enough to get into a locale and particular job you like. But be prepared to pay your dues...and I don't mean Depot.

And by the way, you guys and gals in the Canadian Forces--you are the true heroes. Each and every one of you. And let your colleagues know I said so.
Just remember that I **TRIED** to talk some sense into your head! But, NO, not you - you went ahead anyway, and just LOOK where you ended up?! Between you, Mark S and my old neighbour, I don't know if I can show my face in public anymore! Speaking of that, I better make sure I know where my Mom, sister and daughters are working these days!!! :mrgreen:
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

MBCO1

Postby MBCO1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:17 pm

Hey there,
Just wanted to say that this topic is a great read and an eye-opener for anyone wanting to apply to the RCMP. Thanks!
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:07 am

Do you enjoy working as a police officer? Love it! (But, should have gone Muni)

Is it what you expected upon entering the force? Not even close, lot's of disappointments.

Would you change anything? I too, could write a book.

Do you find yourself required to move around a lot?
Not really, but remember when you sign on the dotted line saying you will go anywhere in Canada - they mean it! ....and so should you. If you want to move there is still lot's of opportunity for that. On the other hand, the Force transferring you every 2 years "just because" you finally finished you basement - are gone. For the most part, if you don't want to move, they have no money left for "just because".

Do you enjoy working in your current location? For the most part.

Did you enjoy the training at depot? I'm a .....bit dated, but it was good and still seems to be.

Was the experience something you went in expecting?
In Depot - yes.

Do you find being a police officer affects your home life in a negative way? Yes.

Dogsitter
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dogsitter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:07 pm

Do you enjoy working as a police officer? When I actually get to do that, it's great. Sitting behind a computer, etc, etc... Not at all. I too, would have went muni had I known what I know now.

What I expected? Nope. Not in a good way.

Would I change anything? If I could go back to my past career without the debt I've accumulated since joining(Non paid Depot, selling house, etc), I would in a heartbeat.

Required to move? Nope, and I don't think it's a good thing. I think we should get back to moving people every 3 years. That way if you're not happy where you are, a change of venue is in the foreseeable future.

Enjoy my current location? Nope.

Enjoy Depot? Loved it. I had a great troop that got along great. I'm pretty disciplined and was in great shape already so I found the training pretty easy.

The experience something I was expecting? No for Depot. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would.

Affect my home life negatively??? Hell yeah! If you're from a city and get posted to a rural spot where the schedule sucks...life is going to be hard my friend.

It is always up to the individual's circumstances. I think I'd be happy had I been posted elsewhere. But...I signed the dotted line and anywhere in Canada meant that. If you're joining for prestige...you're in for a rough time. Join because you want to be a police officer and police officer only.
"Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding."

FortMac
Rookie Member

Postby FortMac » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:10 pm

Do you enjoy working as a police officer? Is it what you expected upon entering the force? Would you change anything? - It is more challenging, given that I didn't work in a city environment. Rig pigs, reserves/FNP policing, highways, remote, and often without a partner nearby. What a time!

Do you find yourself required to move around a lot? Do you enjoy working in your current location? Not yet, as this is a 5 year LDP. Moving in six months. Do I enjoy Fort Mac? No. However, I have learned so much.

Did you enjoy the training at depot? Was the experience something you went in expecting? - Best time of my life that I would never want to do again.

Do you find being a police officer affects your home life in a negative way? - Not at all. Except for the ringing phone at the odd time.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated. Im just trying to weigh all my options right now. I understand that being a Police Officer requires one to be 100% sure and 100% in. Its just all the unknowns that make it hard for me to commit myself 100% to the idea. I mean, ive had advice from several others who know nothing about the entire process or what it is to be a police officer that are not helping me much so I figured id throw this out here to see if you guys could shed some light. - Go ahead and give it a shot. If you find out somewhere down the line that you don't like it - leave. Don't try to bury yourself somewhere useless. There are many members that only want job security, benefits and pension. Do it because you have a passion for it.

CDM
Rookie Member

Postby CDM » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:12 pm

I second Mark S statement regarding the RCMP, I too was in the Canadian Forces before I became a mounty, mind you I was non commissioned. Where do I start about the RCMP this might take a while lol, well at least the pay is better in the RCMP.

Kleafloor

Postby Kleafloor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:54 pm

Which do you enjoy more? RCMP or CF?
All of our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney

CDM
Rookie Member

Postby CDM » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:34 pm

It all depends on where your posted, I guess, but I love policing, with the RCMP you can still do tours provided you have 5 years experience and can get released to go, you can dabble in both, you always have the option of ERT or Containment on the RCMP side of things. There are things I miss about the battalion, but I think I made a good decision going to policing.

Elbee
Seasoned Member

Postby Elbee » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Gard wrote:
polarissucks wrote:I want to join the RCMP because of the prestige
:rolllaugh:
This.

bigmac
Rookie Member

Postby bigmac » Sat May 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Thanks for all your feedback guys, it's really helpful!

I've noticed a lot of people saying that RCMP has effected their home life negatively; but no one has really speculated as to why. Could some of you please expand? Is it an RCMP thing or being a cop in general?

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Sun May 08, 2011 10:28 am

an RCMP thing.