RCMP Questions

Discussion regarding human resource management.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Willis
Rookie Member

RCMP Questions

Postby Willis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks
Last edited by Willis on Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: RCMP Questions

Postby Mark S » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Do you enjoy working as a police officer? Yes, when I get to.

Is it what you expected upon entering the force? Not at all.

Would you change anything? I could write a book.

Do you find yourself required to move around a lot? Not really.

Do you enjoy working in your current location? Not really.

Did you enjoy the training at depot? They do a good job of taking the fun out of it.

Was the experience something you went in expecting? Pretty much, yeah.

Do you find being a police officer affects your home life in a negative way? Yes.

Don't be fooled by the variation in duties that the RCMP advertises. This job is the same bullshit every day, too.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Why only consider the Mounties? Lots of other services.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

Master of None
Rookie Member

Postby Master of None » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:55 pm

Willis:

I am not a Police Officer, however I am in LE. And I have been kicking around different public and private LE agencies over the past 12 years. If my input is not what you're looking for, I understand and will promptly see myself out of this thread, but...

That being said, in my opinion, I don't think it's simply advice from a serving PC that will benefit you the most - it's more self-examination.

I can't help but notice you did not mention too much about what you LIKE about the CF? Obviously you already know that organization, its ins and outs, etc. Do you think being an Officer in the CF, based on your knowledge of the positions and and opportunties available, would be good for you? A good fit? As good as being a PC? Just different? Are you bored with the CF?

Perhaps if you start there, and write a list of pros and cons for both jobs, it may assist you. But as you're aware, even the most objective Police Officer (or anything else for that matter) can only tell you about what they have experienced. Another Officer's experience will be totally different, same with the CF. Unfortunately, you can't really know about a job until you do it - typically - in both the positive and negative aspects, LE jobs are never exactly what you expect them to be...

Willis
Rookie Member

Postby Willis » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 pm

Mark S, you seem like you dont enjoy doing what your doing? Can you elaborate alittle? I see your in Winnipeg, an area im not too fond of. Also where are you from originally?

Master of None, I have compiled a list several times at that. I am going to Virginia in a few weeks on a massive exercise with US troops. I may base my decision on how well/how fun the upcoming exercise is and if id prefer to do that instead of following a career in police.

Jim Street, I have only applied for the RCMP and have only been through its recruiting process. To go to a Police Academy out East costs you an arm and a leg and their recruiting standards are BS.... such as 1300$ down to apply for something you have no control over. But, it is a possibility.

Master of None
Rookie Member

Postby Master of None » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 pm

Good luck with your decision Willis - you appear to be a smart fellow, and attempting to examine all angles and make an informed decision is the sign of someone who will be successful no matter what they do.

Remember, sometimes the grass is not always greener when you change jobs, and many have given up on their current jobs in search of greener pastures and regretted it. Most of the time that is because they have not examined all the current opportunities in the job their are in fully before they jump ship.

Being a career millitary person, I have always felt, is like being a career PC in that it is a calling, and it takes two different mindsets, and a special type of person in each case to do those jobs - they are not for everyone. I.E. being a trained killer is not like being trained to kill if necessary. But the average person could do neither. Not saying you can't evolve from one into the other, but in some ways its like apples to oranges.

All the best and play safe...

Mark S
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Mark S » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:16 am

Willis wrote:Mark S, you seem like you dont enjoy doing what your doing? Can you elaborate alittle? I see your in Winnipeg, an area im not too fond of. Also where are you from originally?
I'm originally from Winnipeg and currently very near to it, but no in it.

I like policing, the problem is that with the RCMP you spend very little time policing. In short, the RCMP is horribly managed, especially at the detachment policing level. Every job has aspects that nobody likes. The RCMP takes those minor annoyances and magnifies them about ten times. I'm trying to think of how to summarize the issues but I just can't. The RCMP is just way behind the times, way under-staffed and under-funded, with a brass that just doesn't have a clue, and far too many people who don't realize that the RCMP is an operational police service, not a paper-pushing machine.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

RCMP Recruiter
Seasoned Member

Postby RCMP Recruiter » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Willis wrote: Do you enjoy working as a police officer? Is it what you expected upon entering the force? Would you change anything?
Yes, although my current job isn't an operational one. (Recruiting) When I was operational I was surprised at how much paperwork came with the job. I'm at about the mid-point of my career and I'm generally happy with how things have gone. I couldn't imagine doing anything else.
Do you find yourself required to move around a lot? Do you enjoy working in your current location?
I moved around a lot but that was my choice. A lot depends on where you start and what you want to do. In some provinces you end up moving more than others. I have seen members stay in one place for 15 years and others move every three years. I like my current location.
Did you enjoy the training at depot? Was the experience something you went in expecting?

Enjoy? No. There were some enjoyable parts and some that weren't. It was a positive experience but not something I'd like to repeat. If you're from the military you might have similar feelings about basic training. You make great friends and are proud of making it at the end. It's not something intended to be enjoyable though. It was pretty much what I expected.
Do you find being a police officer affects your home life in a negative way?
No. I've had bad days but generally it is positive.

Joining the RCMP versus a municipal service means you make trade offs. We are a big outfit with lots of options to pursue. To do that may require moving you and your family around. Because we are so big change can be slow in coming. Coming from a military background you'd be able to relate to that. At the end of the day, I feel the RCMP is a good organization. Like any outfit, you'll find people that like it as much as I do along with those who aren't so enamoured like Mark S. I think you're taking a good approach soliciting input from members and hope some more will chime in with their thoughts.

PHB
Poobah Overlord

Postby PHB » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:01 pm

I would think that with any organization there are good parts and bad.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

polarissucks
Rookie Member

Postby polarissucks » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:31 pm

I want to join the RCMP because of the prestige, its just the feeling of pride i will have once i am accepted. But i think either job would be great, it just depends what kind of policing you want to do. I mean the forces would be great, but if you want to be in more of a community environment, and respond to more traffic and home invasions, then RCMP or some other police force is for you.

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:21 pm

That's quite a range from traffic to home invasions.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

MB_RCMP
Grand Poobah

Postby MB_RCMP » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:37 pm

polarissucks wrote:I want to join the RCMP because of the prestige, its just the feeling of pride i will have once i am accepted. But i think either job would be great, it just depends what kind of policing you want to do. I mean the forces would be great, but if you want to be in more of a community environment, and respond to more traffic and home invasions, then RCMP or some other police force is for you.
If you're looking to join for a feeling of prestige..... a) it will wear off quickly.... b) you're joining for the wrong reasons.
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the RCMP way - which is usually synonymous with the wrong way, just with more paperwork.

Gard
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Gard » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:11 pm

polarissucks wrote:I want to join the RCMP because of the prestige
:rolllaugh:

Instead, you'll be labelled as corrupt by the media and a lot of the public. You'll be viewed with comtempt by your supposed "brothers" from other agencies and you'll work overtime with no compensation. Oh, you won't see your family much on holidays. If you try to do an honest job then you'll be assaulted, spat upon, falsely accused and generally maligned by everyone. But if that's what floats your boat....
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Jim Street
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:08 pm

I don't view you with contempt, Gard.

devilwoman
Poobah Overlord

Postby devilwoman » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:51 pm

If you try to do an honest job then you'll be assaulted, spat upon, falsely accused and generally maligned by everyone.
Quite true.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."